Atheists are angry and bitter because they have divorced from God

Homepage Forums Atheism Atheists are angry and bitter because they have divorced from God

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 5 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

If God exists, then He just wants you to be a good person.

Wrong. Since Christianity is built on a medieval model involving kings, lords, and serfs, clearly God just wants you to be a good and obedient serf who inflates his God’s ego through neverending praise. Otherwise, you go to Hell and spend eternity in agony.

toddayoung
    Participant

I agree Simon Paynton. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

PopeBeanie

Ninety-nine percent of educated humans can probably agree that gods have been invented by humans. There’s still that percent of humans who just won’t let go of traditional beliefs, always yearning for that omnipotent father who sees and knows all, and is the ultimate, unerring judge in life. Marriages to God include comforting ceremonies and public “proof” of sharing a common faith, validation of connection and belonging to an in-group, and a feeling of fatherly protection (and enforcement of order).

Secure families do not “marry” their kids before they come of age, but most religious families try to do just that. Of course “divorces” from God can make people angry! Some atheists have that experience, but I believe most do not, especially those who were never forced to marry to start with.

Peter van Inwagen was just projecting, as many pious preachers do, often even intentionally invalidating the perspectives of outsiders. Unfortunately it draws on and relies on built-in tribalistic behavior, i.e. a need to define and identify with an in-group, vs an out-group. One might/could say our modernized, post-genetic-evolution expression of tribal behavior derives (culturally) from a specific kind of “original sin”.

They’re just making this shit up, to suit themselves!

Davis
    Participant

Ninety-nine percent of educated humans can probably agree that gods have been invented by humans.

Woah. Where on Earth did you pull that figure from? Source? It pretty much goes against what even the most liberal minded and highly educated friends of mine in every non-western country would ever say. It also goes against the surveys of university educated Americans say and even against what American Professors say. Yikes. Any evidence to back that up?

Marriages to God include comforting ceremonies and public “proof” of sharing a common faith, validation of connection and belonging to an in-group, and a feeling of fatherly protection (and enforcement of order).

Something that can be achieved by many other means including means far far far less toxic. It is interesting how when we cover things like cults we speak of the benefits some people enjoy, sense of belonging etc and yet we also discuss they highly sinister and cruel effects as well. Yet, and this is VERY important…I’ve never heard anyone say “yeah…but we shouldn’t forget the positive effects of being in a cult”. The conversations of “how is it possible that an intelligent person got caught up in this” and the answer is, because of the needs that the cult “temporarily” provided. And yet, when it comes to the Abrahamic religions, all cults with a long history and potential of future abuse…you still hear a LOT of people saying “but hey…religion provides what they need”. That was the same with cults which fell apart, small and large. The same with Scientology. The only difference now is (apart from a few benign protestant faiths), is that Christianity is normalized and the other two faiths are difficult to criticize for a number of reasons. However if they were held under the same microscope as cults, we wouldn’t be sweet talking the social benefits because we’d be properly and honestly contrasting them with the toxic ones. As we do with cults. And we’d point out there are many ways to get the benefits of religion with a whole lot less of the toxic and dangerous.

PopeBeanie

Woah. Where on Earth did you pull that figure from? Source?

OK, I pulled that number out of my pope ass… it’s ball park. An expression, even. But doesn’t just about everyone, even non-educated people, know about at least a few of the ancient gods in myth, gods that people actually used to believe in? More to the point, how about “all the gods that religionists don’t believe in”, and of which they should easily be able to admit the simple fact that humans invent gods.

Waaaaitasec… American Professor surveys?! Where? 🙂

Why did God divorce me? Why is it that the human is always to blame? How about taking some responsibility here? Any chance you will show up at the mediation so we can work this out?  What? Still nothing to say for yourself? And you think you can keep 100% and I walk away with nothing at the end? You saw this coming and refused to do anything about it. So selfish and jealous. You hang out with your angels all day long and go crazy because I looked at Baal for a mere second. You and your “Oh come worship me as I am the greatest thing you can even conceive of” routine. And you had a child with “her” and expect me to just pretend nothing happened? Sadist.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 10 hours ago by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer. Reason: God made me make a mistake
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.