Idiotic appointment of Danish Secretary of Science and Research

Homepage Forums Politics Idiotic appointment of Danish Secretary of Science and Research

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lars 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Lars
    Participant

Just so you guys know, how idiotic the danish government is. In particular the current primeminister of Denmark (though I do like him in other matters).

The Secretary of Science, Research and Knowledge, has public told he is christian and believes that the bing bang is a hoax, also he believes that god created earth. Even more f…. up he has a PH.D in Theology.

Though in the current party, who forms the leading part of the government. There are 3 members with an M.Sc and two M.Sc P.HD.

It is kind of scary that the prime minster then choose a person, whom do not believe in the field of which his office is supposed to represented.

What are your thoughts on this, scared? So what? or something else ????

– Tools

Simon Mathews
    Participant

Hi Lars, welcome to the site. This sounds very worrying. It’s hard to know what criteria the prime minister was using but it doesn’t set a good example. I’m particularly surprised because I was under the impression that Denmark was quite non-religious in general. Is that incorrect?

Lars
    Participant

Hey Simon.
    In general, we are a very non-religious. Though certain parts of the country, has a high concentration of strong christians. In extension we also have a Secretary of Religions and the Church.

Unseen
    Participant

That is just stupid. Will the public tolerate it?

Gallup’s Mirror
    Participant

The stupidity of the appointment boggles the mind. Otherwise, things sure look fantastic in Denmark.

———————–
    “Danes enjoy a high standard of living and the country ranks highly in numerous comparisons of national performance, including education, health care, protection of civil liberties, democratic governance, prosperity and human development. Denmark is frequently ranked as one of the happiest countries in the world in cross-national studies of happiness. The country ranks as having the world’s highest social mobility, a high level of income equality, has one of the world’s highest per capita incomes, and has one of the world’s highest personal income tax rates. A large majority of Danes are members of the National Church, though the Constitution guarantees freedom of religion. […] Despite the high membership figures, only 3% of the population regularly attend Sunday services.” – Wikipedia

Lars
    Participant

@unseen most will, they do not acctualy care, as long as the Secretary does not enforce creationism in school and as long, as he can keep his believes to him self (though at the moment it does not look like it).

@Gallup Yes if you have a just smile and wave attitude about it, things are great. But pop the hood and not every things is golden.

Marianne
    Participant

Hello there, fellow Scandinavian! Welcome!

I sure know what you’re talking about. I remember when our Norwegian department of education ALSO was the department of the state church. How indescribably fucked up is that? Now the church affairs have been shoved over to department of culture, which is intolerable too, but far less dangerous. I think it’s so odd, to be honest, that we are overwhelmingly non-religious and yet we just go along with this BS. Why do you think this is? Is it because we just slowly but surely faded away from religious belief and weren’t ostracized so that we felt the need to rally against religion?

Doesn’t Johan Glans just nail it? (the language is swedish, no subs)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by  Marianne.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by  Marianne.

SteveInCO
    Participant

How indescribably fucked up is that?

You’ve captured it pretty well, “indescribable” or not.

Culture makes sense as a home for this sort of thing, since (if my guess is correct) they maintain all the historical relics.

It’s an often-commented-on irony that all sorts of countries in Europe with official religions, some of which have monarchs whose titles include something like “defenders of the faith” and who are required to be of the official religion…are the ones that are most likely to become atheists, while the US which officially is secular (though try telling it to the asshats) has the worst biblethumper infestation of any industrialized nation.

Perhaps it’s not irony; perhaps the churches here have to work on marketing to survive, instead of getting a direct dole from the government (not that they don’t try to get that too). (Yes, I know they get a tax break, but that does them no good at all if they can’t somehow generate the income that doesn’t get taxed.)

Strega

@steveinco that’s a really funny irony, because it looks true to me! In the UK the monarch is also supposed to be defender of the faith, and Charles wants it to be more embracing, so to make it faiths, not faith. Nobody cares in the UK because the monarchy hasn’t got any real power in the political arena.

Conversely, the Prime Minister does have power, and in the case of Tony Blair, he had to wait until he was no longer PM before he could announce he was embracing Catholicism, not because of the brand of religion, but simply because it was a religion. It seems in the UK we don’t mind politicians being religious as long as it doesn’t affect the way they carrying out their functions.

With respect to the Danish situation, it is likely that the PM there was looking for people he knows and trusts to support him, so he seems to have drawn on his educational roots to find those people. The minute a politician makes a decision that is based on religion rather than reality, I’m betting the Danish will be loud and vociferous over the matter

Lars
    Participant

@marianne even more incredible fucked up, our new (old) Secretary of Culture is the form Secretary of Religion and the Church

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.