Suppose there was only one mind

Homepage Forums Science Suppose there was only one mind

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

What if we all shared one mind. Everything everyone thought they knew, true of false, would be shared. Would this mind make better decisions than individuals or worse?

The Father of Artificial Intelligence basically asks that question only applied to computer systems. And he’s scared!

_Robert_
    Participant

Finally, someone who knows what he is talking about. Years ago, I mentioned that AI is just like any new technology, what makes it potentially damaging is old fashioned human malicious intent, not the rise of some digital “sentient” beings, LOL.

The result of deep fakes will be to divide society into (A) dumbasses who will believe practically anything on the internet especially if it’s seemingly anti-establishment (because that is the shallow person’s easy default), and (B) those who put in the work to get to the truth.

Eventually truth verification could come down to some sort of “block-chain like” technology and it’ll be like the year 2k end times, lol, and life goes on.

jakelafort
    Participant

AI won’t be hindered with the intransigence of human belief and its defender confirmation bias.

jakelafort
    Participant

Robert do you think it is possible that AI will become sentient?

Unseen
    Participant

A) dumbasses who will believe practically anything on the internet especially if it’s seemingly anti-establishment (because that is the shallow person’s easy default), and (B) those who put in the work to get to the truth.

There are dumbasses to the left AND right. Getting to the truth is the hard part. Example, The New York Times, which is almost always offered as a trustworthy source sat on the truth about the Hunter Biden laptop long enough to help Joe Biden win. This isn’t fake news, the newspaper has more or less copped to it.

Recently, the BBC refused to air what must have been a very dangerous episode a David Attenborough nature documentary series for fear of risking the ire of rightwingers.

How can one sort things out when even the most trustworthy sources can’t be trusted?

‘NOW, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!’

The scene was a plain, bare, monotonous vault of a school-room, and the speaker’s square forefinger emphasized his observations by underscoring every sentence with a line on the schoolmaster’s sleeve. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s square wall of a forehead, which had his eyebrows for its base, while his eyes found commodious cellarage in two dark caves, overshadowed by the wall. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s mouth, which was wide, thin, and hard set. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s voice, which was inflexible, dry, and dictatorial. The emphasis was helped by the speaker’s hair, which bristled on the skirts of his bald head, a plantation of firs to keep the wind from its shining surface, all covered with knobs, like the crust of a plum pie, as if the head had scarcely warehouse-room for the hard facts stored inside. The speaker’s obstinate carriage, square coat, square legs, square shoulders, – nay, his very neckcloth, trained to take him by the throat with an unaccommodating grasp, like a stubborn fact, as it was, – all helped the emphasis.

‘In this life, we want nothing but Facts, sir; nothing but Facts!’

The speaker, and the schoolmaster, and the third grown person present, all backed a little, and swept with their eyes the inclined plane of little vessels then and there arranged in order, ready to have imperial gallons of facts poured into them until they were full to the brim.

Charles Dickens, Hard Times.

Unseen
    Participant

If sources like The New York Times and BBC are willing to withhold important information on matters you can’t do original research on yourself…

you are left to relying on independent/alternative media.

RichRaelian
    Participant

Hi! One AI mind would make the foundations for a one world government.

_Robert_
    Participant

Robert do you think it is possible that AI will become sentient?

It’s digital in an analog world, so it will always be a facsimile. Not saying it can’t fool you, but a simulation is what it is. It’s solder joints, copper traces and silicon switches on a fiberglass board. It’s limited by human programmers, intentionally or not who have the right and ethical duty to just turn off the power switch when needs be. So as for it turning on its masters or it’s master’s enemies, that is 100% up to us.

_Robert_
    Participant

If sources like The New York Times and BBC are willing to withhold important information on matters you can’t do original research on yourself… you are left to relying on independent/alternative media.

Your view-count dependent sources just produce speculation. Pandering to a large brain dead conservative Christian audience who always believe what they want to believe, true or not. As an atheist, I am not afraid of saying “I don’t know” if the facts are unavailable to me.

Unseen
    Participant

Your view-count dependent sources just produce speculation. Pandering to a large brain dead conservative Christian audience who always believe what they want to believe, true or not. As an atheist, I am not afraid of saying “I don’t know” if the facts are unavailable to me.

The NY Times, ABC, CNN, Fox and their ilk also need to make money to operate and depend upon subscribers or advertisers to operate just like the Alt news sources. So, you have made no point there.

The better Alt sources are run by or use professional journalists. I’m talking about famous and widely-respected journalists in some cases. Seymour Hersh, Chris Hedges, Matt Taibbi, and Aaron Mate among others, for example.

If you only make judgments based on facts rather than speculation, you must have evidence that Alt sources only engage in speculation. OK…present it to us.

As a matter of fact, if you actually explored Alt news, you’d know that their specialty is presenting documents and testimony that the mainstream news ignores or even actively buries. They don’t just sit around wondering, they cultivate sources and present evidence.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Unseen.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

If there were only one mind, we wouldn’t be here talking about it…unless the mind was schizzy and we were different cells inside of it. 😁😉

_Robert_
    Participant

The NY Times, ABC, CNN, Fox and their ilk also need to make money to operate and depend upon subscribers or advertisers to operate just like the Alt news sources. So, you have made no point there. The better Alt sources are run by or use professional journalists. I’m talking about famous and widely-respected journalists in some cases. Seymour Hersh, Chris Hedges, Matt Taibbi, and Aaron Mate among others, for example. If you only make judgments based on facts rather than speculation, you must have evidence that Alt sources only engage in speculation. OK…present it to us. As a matter of fact, if you actually explored Alt news, you’d know that their specialty is presenting documents and testimony that the mainstream news ignores or even actively buries. They don’t just sit around wondering, they cultivate sources and present evidence.

ABC, NBC and CBS News were a loss leading cost to the networks for decades and used reputable feeds, investigations like “60 Minutes”, due diligence and official retractions. Some of that culture is still inherent in their policy and staff, despite of what the likes of Jimmy Dore and other joke “sources” you have posted have to say about it. Most national news broadcast stories come from the many wire services and new agencies. The bullshit started with 24-hour cable news like Fox and CNN had to fill air-time. And of course now we have 10,000 Joe Rogans, Young Turks and every other 2-bit view count channel out there pretending to be something.

The United States alone has over 100 specialized news services besides the major national agencies, including such as Science Service, Religious News Service, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, and News Election Service, etc.

I’d like to see some evidence of unclassified news suppression by our Democratic White House or Republican congress, since you keep saying that. Are they suddenly working in consort for a change? That would be the best breaking news story ever.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Thanks for sharing on your wasted life, Jeremy Hinton. Take a seat there next to Clifford Stoll. At least Stoll admitted he was wrong about the great potential of Teh InnerToobz.

Funny, most procreators want their offspring to be better than they are. What gives with techies like Hinton, Musk, and Wozniak?

And isn’t the real problem what Junaid Mubeen referred to, the human agents who misuse AI for evil ends?

Unseen
    Participant

I’d like to see some evidence of unclassified news suppression by our Democratic White House or Republican congress, since you keep saying that. Are they suddenly working in consort for a change? That would be the best breaking news story ever.

The mainstream media are capitalist enterprises dependent on advertising now more than ever. Your frail excuses doesn’t change that.

Did the fact that Hunter Biden’s laptop existed and wasn’t a Russian fabrication somehow qualify as “classified”?

How about the Russiagate narrative, promoted by the Democrats with the full cooperation of the mainstream press and Twitter? Classified?

Who’s a real journalist, Robert, someone who goes out to find the truth or someone who writes what someone in a corner office upstairs tells them to write?

Your characterization of Alt journalists as fabulists doesn’t fit the facts. As for Jimmy Dore,  he is a political comedian as were Lenny Bruce, Dick Gregory, and George Carlin. He’s not a journalist, but if you watch his shows, he has real journalists on and he cites original sources and digs deeper than the New York Timez apparently did with their Biden Laptop disinformation.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.