What is [interpersonal] moral legitimacy, and do we need it?

Homepage Forums Science What is [interpersonal] moral legitimacy, and do we need it?

This topic contains 134 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

it’s okay to forget the strict interpretation of the GR and do what the f*** you want to do according to your values in total disregard of the other’s wishes. Here in Oregon we have assisted suicide so problems like this aren’t always just thought problems.

I have to admit, I don’t understand what you mean.

I think the Golden Rule is more of an instinct than an explicit instruction.  In other words, people use it reflexively rather than rationally.  We don’t really sit down and think about it too much.

Davis
    Participant

I would have thought that’s a pointless exercise.

Oh crap. Is that a duck and dodge of the height of Dr. Bob’s stupidity? Thats so pathetic Simon it makes me want to spew intellectual vomit. Are you that insecure with your own dubious claims that you won’t follow through. You said comparing individual moral acts and category of acts is simple…and yet you won’t compare a list of them. Because if you tried you’d discover for yourself how insanely difficult it is to put obvious moral rules you talk about a LOT and put it in practice. From now on your posts on ethics and moral problems is just babble.

Simon Paynton
    Participant
    @davis – I’ll take any two.

Ignoring traffic or pedestrian laws (Not stopping at a stop sign.)

Embellishing the truth (Lightly exaggerating the quality of a used car you’re selling)

If it was a choice between one or the other, I’d say the first is worse than the second, because the potential for harm is greater.  But it’s not a choice that is likely to come up in everyday life.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Simon Paynton.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@davis – would you like to give some examples of where the Categorical Imperative is used in everyday life?

Davis
    Participant

Simon thanks for making a comparison. Now please give me the list of the 15 in order, and I will be pleased as punch to give you several examples.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@davis – is that how the Categorical Imperative works?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What I mean is, it’s not necessary for me to list the 15 crimes in order of badness, for you to give some examples of where the Categorical Imperative is routinely used in everyday life in order to make moral decisions.  The two are unrelated.

Davis
    Participant

The two are unrelated.

Oh but they are. I’m happy to answer your question once you answer mine. I understand if it takes a few days…it’s not at all an easy task!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

they are.

Then it’s not surprising that the CI hasn’t caught on.

Davis
    Participant

they are.

Then it’s not surprising that the CI hasn’t caught on.

And so passes one more duck and so goes yet another dodge.

Clearsky
    Participant

Answering the Question: What Is Enlightenment?

Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-incurred immaturity.” He argues that the immaturity is self-inflicted not from a lack of understanding , but from the lack of courage to use one’s reason, intellect, and wisdom without the guidance of another. He exclaims that the motto of enlightenment is “Sapere aude”! – Dare to be wise!

Useful philosophy research websites.

https://www.inphoproject.org/

https://plato.stanford.edu/

https://www.iep.utm.edu/

https://philpapers.org/

Clearsky
    Participant

hi Simon Paynton, I hope you don’t mind if I answer your question posed to @davis

Earlier you were asking where C.I ” works”

One example is the UDHR & Absolute rights

Absolute rights cannot be interfered with or limited in any way.

Examples of absolute rights are prohibition of torture (Article 3, European Convention on Human Rights)

or Prohibition of slavery and forced labour (Article 4, European Convention on Human Rights).

Which I think are very Kantian these protect these people.

The next real world example is about keeping promises.

As E.K originally argues for. Like keeping the C.I for promise to payback loans.

That good credit is one the backbone of the modern finical system works. Like Standard & Poor’s credit rating of nations.

Think of what happened when in 2008 the unfortunate people could not keep the promise payback subprime home mortgages.. The financial crisis of 2007–2008 happened.

So I would argue in some (not all)

That deontology does work, both from the perspective of personal freedoms & liberty. But also duty ( like keeping promises) is also important to how society functions. Like some aspects of the business and economics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit?wprov=sfla1

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Clearsky.

@clearsky – I often argue that atheism is the mature position to hold (as opposed to theism). Once we can say to ourselves that “I am an atheist” we are compelled to consider the implications of what that means. This is especially true for those of us that have moved from a position of theism. We come to understand that we are very fortunate to have won the lottery of life, that no matter how long that life is, it will always seem brief and that when it is over, it is over. To be content with that “reality” is to become enlightened. Wisdom comes when you can smile to yourself for working that out. After that you don’t need to be brave to use your reason because your reason is all you have left but that is all you will ever need to work anything else out.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg, that is nicely said-clear as the blue sky.

Thanks man…can’t see any blue sky from here in the forest but for some reason everything appears clear…:-)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.