Woke Movies

Homepage Forums Small Talk Woke Movies

This topic contains 158 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

I know if the biography of Nelson Mandela had George Clooney in the lead role, I’d find it an eye-rolling embarrassment as a white person, and there’d be a clamor.

I literally just addressed this. come back to me when you learn to read. And honestly, I don’t care how I sound to you. I don’t respect you.

I read well enough, just not everything, especially in long posts. I am not a speed reader, however, so the option is to either scan or skip. Which one I choose, depends.

The thing is, unlike some, apparently, I have a life beyond AZ.

Unseen
    Participant

@ Autumn

Playing something you aren’t is called… ACTING!

Participant

I wonder if the terrible trend of “liberals making conservatives angry enough to destroy democracy and minorities” might beget a terrible trend of “authoritarians making the populous angry enough to destroy government buildings and their autocratic occupants”? Everyone grab your guns and ammo. Buy more, if necessary. Hey clueless assholes, YOU MADE ME do this!

There’s been some noise about a country music song recently. Try That in a Small Town by Jason Aldean. As an excerpt:

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
    Carjack an old lady at a red light
    Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
    Ya think it’s cool, well, act a fool if ya like
    Cuss out a cop, spit in his face
    Stomp on the flag and light it up
    Yeah, ya think you’re tough
    Well, try that in a small town
    See how far ya make it down the road
    Around here, we take care of our own
    You cross that line, it won’t take long
    For you to find out, I recommend you don’t
    Try that in a small town

You can see how some might find the lyrics distasteful, but it’s kind of whatever. Who wants carjackings in their town and who doesn’t sometimes feel a little vindictive toward the perpetrators. But when you add the video in, it mostly features the band singing cut with footage from protests against police brutality and anti-black violence.

The band is getting backlash, and the artist’s defence is that the footage shown was actual footage. But that doesn’t mean the narrative makes sense. It leaves out why the protests existed in the first place, and it leaves out the violence perpetrated against the protestors by police and Kyle Rittenhouse. So it’s not even half the story, and it comes across as the band’s takeaway from the protests is misbehave in their small town and we’ll make you regret it.

Now, what the signer’s actual feelings are on the protests overall are, I don’t know. It’s more the cultural disconnect where someone who was scarcely involved or affected makes the protests about him and his anger and that’s what he chooses two put into song without any apparent appreciation for the rest of what was going on. But even more basic than that why would you wander into that conversation if you weren’t looking for a fight or looking to make a buck off the ensuing controversy?

Participant

I know if the biography of Nelson Mandela had George Clooney in the lead role, I’d find it an eye-rolling embarrassment as a white person, and there’d be a clamor.

I literally just addressed this. come back to me when you learn to read. And honestly, I don’t care how I sound to you. I don’t respect you.

I read well enough, just not everything, especially in long posts.

You make posts of the same length. You won’t read posts the same length as the ones you write yourself? Quelle surprise.

I am not a speed reader, however, so the option is to either scan or skip. Which one I choose, depends. The thing is, unlike some, apparently, I have a life beyond AZ.

You are possibly the most prolific poster on the site. It’s like your one selling point.

_Robert_
    Participant

I wonder if the terrible trend of “liberals making conservatives angry enough to destroy democracy and minorities” might beget a terrible trend of “authoritarians making the populous angry enough to destroy government buildings and their autocratic occupants”? Everyone grab your guns and ammo. Buy more, if necessary. Hey clueless assholes, YOU MADE ME do this!

There’s been some noise about a country music song recently. Try That in a Small Town by Jason Aldean. As an excerpt: Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk Carjack an old lady at a red light Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store Ya think it’s cool, well, act a fool if ya like Cuss out a cop, spit in his face Stomp on the flag and light it up Yeah, ya think you’re tough Well, try that in a small town See how far ya make it down the road Around here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won’t take long For you to find out, I recommend you don’t Try that in a small town You can see how some might find the lyrics distasteful, but it’s kind of whatever. Who wants carjackings in their town and who doesn’t sometimes feel a little vindictive toward the perpetrators. But when you add the video in, it mostly features the band singing cut with footage from protests against police brutality and anti-black violence. The band is getting backlash, and the artist’s defence is that the footage shown was actual footage. But that doesn’t mean the narrative makes sense. It leaves out why the protests existed in the first place, and it leaves out the violence perpetrated against the protestors by police and Kyle Rittenhouse. So it’s not even half the story, and it comes across as the band’s takeaway from the protests is misbehave in their small town and we’ll make you regret it. Now, what the signer’s actual feelings are on the protests overall are, I don’t know. It’s more the cultural disconnect where someone who was scarcely involved or affected makes the protests about him and his anger and that’s what he chooses two put into song without any apparent appreciation for the rest of what was going on. But even more basic than that why would you wander into that conversation if you weren’t looking for a fight or looking to make a buck off the ensuing controversy?

So, I had to go watch (suffer-thru) that video. This modern country “music” blows. The lyrics and the video are unrelated for the most part and it’s that fear-peddling conservatives love so much. It’s always such a simple message, so easy to understand.

If I watch Archie Bunker on an episode of “All In The Family”, it’s hard to believe that hard-hitting, unfiltered content played on national TV 50 years ago. We have become morons who can’t even have a conversation.

Unseen
    Participant

You make posts of the same length. You won’t read posts the same length as the ones you write yourself? Quelle surprise.

There’s no justice, I guess. Feel free to mimic my approach if it makes your life easier.

You are possibly the most prolific poster on the site. It’s like your one selling point.

If I have one virtue, that’s it. I can compose and type as fast as anyone. Slow reader, though.

Unseen
    Participant

The Critical Drinker is back!

The Barbie Movie: Silly Meaningless Fluff or Nefarious Anti-Male Propaganda

Participant

Is critical drinker meant to be parody/ satire?

Unseen
    Participant

Is critical drinker meant to be parody/ satire?

Well, he takes a comedic/sarcastic approach to his reviews. I think that fits the definition of satire at least. Parody, depending on how one defines it, a resounding “maybe.”

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.