Atheist Parenting

Unschooling

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 3 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Belle Rose
    Participant

The system has failed us.

And it’s really sad.

But it’s true.

I am having to figure out how to homeschool my son…

There are many ways to do it. One way I researched and found that I honestly believe will work with him is called “unschooling.” It looks a lot like basically helping him become a free thinker!

It feels like freedom….

All of the mental health professionals in our lives have failed us miserably. So has the school.

I’m done.

Any other atheist parents have a similar experience??

It will be interesting to see what happens. I’m going to wean my son off his medication with help from his psychiatrist and then see how he does….

It will be interesting to see what happens. But nothing else has worked. These therapists don’t know what the fuck they are doing. And the school neither honestly. Fuck everyone.

Belle Rose
    Participant

If anyone has the time I would love your feedback on this video:

Simon Paynton
    Participant

He says that most people in the USA are illiterate, but this article says

14 percent of adult Americans demonstrated a “below basic” literacy level in 2003, and 29 percent exhibited a “basic” reading level.

I think that just about everything he says is ridiculously stupid and confused, as if he just sits in a chair making things up as he goes along.  I don’t even know what he’s trying to say.  Sorry I think he’s a fucking fool. Maybe he’s some kind of drug casualty.

PopeBeanie

We considered home schooling too. The irony was about how many home schooling groups are religiously oriented. Other than that, we found a decent out-of-district public school that worked very well for us. It was away from the city, semi-rural, but in a largely liberal environment more concerned with opening minds than controlling them.

Diane
    Participant

My school district failed my son miserably for his first 5 years of school. I feel like I failed him too, but that’s a separate topic. As I have said before, he is doing better now. If I had the energy, wherewithal and money I’d sue the town into oblivion. I don’t think that would fix anything though, and if I won my real estate taxes would go up! I don’t have an easy answer for this very complex issue. I commend your advocacy for your son – it’s crucial. If you can do home schooling it seems like it works for a lot of folks. I don’t know about where you live, but NH has virtual learning support for home schooling. I looked into it earlier this year when my son said he had been bullied last year and had anxiety about it. It’s better but still touch-and-go. I would consider home schooling again if the need arises.

Belle Rose
    Participant

Thank you for sharing Diane! Honestly….for right now I feel like this is the right path. I feel like I have pretty solid research based on our situation…When he gets older more options will open up for him. It’s a tragedy that young boys have so few viable educational options. Once they become delinquent pre-teens more options open up, lol. but by then it’s too late. HELLO PEOPLE!!! Anyway I will spare you the rant.

Belle Rose
    Participant

So….I’m doing this. Trying to anyway. And it’s really sad to see how quickly we’ve become isolated again. Not by choice but by circumstances.

So I am officially homeschooling my son. So far I see it going very well. He is off all medication now.

For example tonight we were working on multiplication (required for 3rd grade math). My son started singing and dancing. I asked him where he learned the song and he said he just made it up! And it helped him do multiplication tables. Math is never a struggle for him. But even in reading he has started to pick up books on his own and read. Naturally….

I think this approach is going to work.

His Parkour coach is going to start mentoring him. Building his confidence the way a father should but his father – isn’t…so…

It’s a lonely road. But…It’s better this way than having him in and out of the mental hospital all the time.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@bellerose – your son sounds really smart, and we can consider that there are two kinds of intelligence: cognitive intelligence and emotional intelligence.  If someone might be low on emotional intelligence, they can still do really well using their cognitive intelligence: it seems that the one can do well in the place of the other.  But even then, it means that the one can be a way of building the other too.

It’s those who don’t have either who we need to watch out for.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think the fundamental realisation has to be that people are the same.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.