Consciousness

"Artificial Intelligence"

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

This topic’s in quotes, because the term AI is currently defined by we humans in various ways. At least at this moment, let’s try to focus primarily on our shared human experiences, with less focus or speculation on how (e.g.) alien intelligence or AI itself might someday propose or enforce its own definitions on us; 🙂 lol haha I’ll be back, beep!

What follows is a kind of overview on the topic, starting with the following quote:

There are 85 billion neurons, each with an average of 10,000 connections to other neurons. That means the possible pathways through the brain are more than the number of atoms in the universe. If this wasn’t enough of a problem to challenge, there are many different types of neurons in the brain, many different types of neurotransmitters, many different sensory inputs, and some support systems such as glial cells that have an unknown function in cognition.

Rather than thinking of the brain as an independent and isolated computer that runs according to instructions from different parts, it’s better to think of it as a deeply connected element of a larger system that includes the body and external environment.

When I argue with my physiology professor, he insists that neurophysiology is ultimately all digital to start with, so designing human brain based AI is not much of a stretch. I disagree!

• Micro-second level chemical interactions can vary depending on remote brain cell connections (which as noted above are numerically astronomical), local conditions of thousands or millions of other brain cells of various types (i.e. not just “neurons”), with additional interactions that depend even on other conditions in the body, e.g. myriad hormones in the blood.
    • If brain activity is not the ultimate definition of “analog”, then what is!? Yes, neurons output one digital spike as their primary signal, but can we just ignore all the analog input and analog effects caused by each neuron’s “digital” activity? No, we can’t, and…
    • Any attempt to capture (or “upload” to computer) at once the condition of every cell and chemical state in a brain in (say) one specific second (or millisecond or microsecond) is subject to change practically instantly, depending on other inputs from the rest of the body, and the surrounding environment.

AI implementation will remain artificial, simulations of human intelligence, not to mention of human consciousness for our foreseeable future.

See an overview for laymen as written by a PhD in Neurophysiology here: quora.com/Why-is-it-so-hard-to-map-a-human-brain

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.