Sunday School

Sunday School 8th November 2020.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

American Atheists issue a statement in response to Joe Biden’s election as President.

Imran Khan wants to rid the world of blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad who died 1388 years ago.

The Creator of the Universe is not listening to Paula White while Glenn Beck dreams of Satan.

Hey Kayleigh, so does your god now favor Biden?

A Florida woman wants to force children to talk to themselves in public. The FFRF is having a busy time with Human Right abuses in Alabama.

A Liar for Jesus, speaking on his behalf, is just not happy, like so many deluded people.

Maine upholds ban on tuition fees reimbursement to religious schools.

What it’s like to be the only Liberal in a family of Conservatives.

Human rights should not be at the mercy of the pope’s pontifications.

Thanks to the Catholic Church Polish hospitals are turning away women seeking abortions.

Donald Trump hurt public support for religious freedom.

Religion perpetuates the gender wage gap.

How witch-hunts from the Left are playing into the hands of the religious Right.

This weeks’ Woo: Aroma Acupoint Therapy.

Climate Crisis: Why lockdown had little to no effect on global temperatures.

What if Humans and A.I. were to merge or if lab-grown brains could become conscious?

Are all white people racist? Why Critical Race Theory has us rattled.

The Sublime, like a tyger burning bright, will always take you by surprise as will the renaissance of touch.

Ann Druyan wants to share her enthusiasm for Science to everyone, everywhere.

Using Pokémon to detect Scientific misinformation.

Long Reads:  The technologies that could transform ageing. How Humans domesticated themselves. The future of the International Space Station. Did James Randi destroy skepticism? When Jerry Falwell Snr died, Hitchens said “If you gave him an enema he could be buried in a matchbox”. Yeah. Life during wartime in west Belfast. To end Sexual Abuse in Churches, dismantle Purity Culture.

This week I am reading this book: There Are Places in the World Where Rules Are Less Important Than Kindness by Carlo Rovelli (my favorite science writer).

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: Bill Maher, post-election speech. Real News: Biden wins the election. Tracy is still talking about a revolution.

The words of Ann Druyan on the death of her husband Carl Sagan. (see 2 links above).

“When my husband died, because he was so famous and known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me-it still sometimes happens-and ask me if Carl changed at the end and converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage and never sought refuge in illusions.

The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief and precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting. Every single moment that we were alive and we were together was miraculous-not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural.

We knew we were beneficiaries of chance. . . . That pure chance could be so generous and so kind. . . . That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space and the immensity of time. . . . That we could be together for twenty years.

That is something which sustains me and it’s much more meaningful. .   The way he treated me and the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other and our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.”

Davis

Nice Sunday school this week Reg!

Strega

Thanks Reg!

Thanks you both. Tried my best to keep election posts low key.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

It would take a month of Sundays to read all of these articles but the ones I’ve read are great and thought-provoking!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.