Sunday School

Sunday School July 3rd 2022

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

The US is not a CHRISTIAN NATION!

FFRF’s ‘We’re Atheists & We Vote” campaign launches over July 4th.

Atheist worker fired after refusing to attend company’s Christian prayer in NC.

What if that coach praying on the football field is Muslim?

The coming religious conflict in the US.

Jewish letters support claims wartime pope focused on helping Catholic converts.

Catholics in the Polish Catholic government have a thing for women and their eggs. Hundreds of Ukrainians traveled to the Polish capital, to hold a Kyiv Pride event in conjunction with Warsaw Pride’s yearly extravaganza.

Greg Kelly of Newsmax just about survived June as a marginalized heterosexual.

I am glad I bought a new fainting couch as it appears that one of America’s biggest liars for Jesus might be a thief.

Why creationism bears all the hallmarks of a conspiracy theory.

World of Woo:  How the fall of Roe v. Wade will degrade science-based medicine.

Environment: UN IPCC report on the effects of climate change on our oceans.

We do not need a new theory of evolution.

Is Music Universal?

Why changing your mind is a feature of evolution, not a bug.

NASA will release images taken by the JWST on July 12th.

CRISPR-Cas9, the gene editing tool.

Long Reads: The Lost ACLU Lecture of Carl Sagan. The Supreme Court hands the religious right a big victory by lying about the facts of a case. Meet the Rainbow Family. How the American Legislative Exchange Council turns Disinformation into Law.

Sunday Book Club:  How Religion Evolved — Robin Dunbar’s history of human belief.

Some photographs taken last week.  China’s Tianwen-1 first photographs from Mars.

Podcast: A.J. Jacobs on Solving Life’s Puzzles.

Coffee Break Video:  What is so special about the human brain? A better way to picture atoms. The Riddle that seems impossible even if you know the answer. The physics that suggests we have no free will.

Have a great week everyone and Happy July 4th!

Strega

Thank you, Reg!!

Belle Rose
    Participant

Great Sunday School Reg!!! There is not really any good news here in the US – it’s all going to shit! Have a nice day 🙂 🙂 🙂 😂

Unseen
    Participant

My contribution this week discusses how Clarence Thomas became BY FAR the most right-leaning Supreme Court justice, to a degree that his views are often downright wacky.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/14/740027295/clarence-thomas-from-black-panther-type-to-supreme-court-s-most-conservative-mem

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Unseen.

Autumn
    Participant

Atheist worker fired after refusing to attend company’s Christian prayer in NC.

I am curious how likely it would be to launch a successful discrimination suit at this time and in that state.

They both have sued the company for their dismissal. I would suggest they contact the ACLU and the FFRF for professional advice. There is case history on these employment issues. I think if the company was (say) a Catholic Adoption agency they would have stipulations in their employment contact that “only Catholics need apply” and they would lose their case. But if no such agreement is in writing then it is dismissal of grounds of religion. (It is not mentioned on their website). Being an unwritten company policy is probably irrelevant here even if it is a “traditional” occurrence in the workplace. I suspect State Law in NC (if it supports the company) is superseded by the First Amendment.

This PDF is probably a good foundation to start from.

But this is only speculation on my part. I will leave further comment up to our resident U2 supporter…….or at least the pro bono one 🙂

Unseen
    Participant

jakelafort
    Participant

The general rule in wrongful termination claims is to classify the nature of the employer/employee relationship. Is there a contract of employment? If so was the contract breeched by the employer?

If there is no contract then the employee is classified as an employee at will. That means the employer as a general matter can fire an employee without cause. This aspect of the law is a residue from when the balance of power in the employer/employee relationship was very one-sided-a libertarian phantasmagoria.

However an employer may have liability for wrongful termination whenever there has been a violation of civil rights. There is some added protection for government employees (if memory serves) but i would have first looked exactly where the plaintiffs have at title 7 of the civil rights act.

Whether the case will settle depends largely on the assessment of the insurer of the employer as to the jury-if you get nothing but religious freaks on jury they may not follow the law because they condone the employer. But those facts as related are pretty fucking awful for an employer. Were i the plaintiff’s attorney and the allegations were uncontroverted but i got a goose egg i would file a motion JNOV. (judgment non obstante verdicto) Anyways i am guessing the plaintiffs get some jingle but if not it may be the microcosm of a nation going down the toilet.

Autumn
    Participant

Whether the case will settle depends largely on the assessment of the insurer of the employer as to the jury-if you get nothing but religious freaks on jury they may not follow the law because they condone the employer.

That’s the part that I find difficult to account for as well as variations in state law. Up here, I don’t think it would be a very controversial case in any jurisdiction; the termination is unlawfully discriminatory on the basis of religious discrimination. Holding prayer sessions in the workplace may be lawful, but making them compulsory very likely isn’t unless there is a bona fide reason (e.g. you were hired as a pastor).

But one of the major differences between Canada and the US is state level variations in law tend to be much larger than Provincial/ Territorial differences. What feels fairly predictable here is harder to make assumptions about in the US without greater familiarity with the quirks of each state. NC is… quite something else compared to my frame of reference.

jakelafort
    Participant

Autumn, there are variations in state law because each state has its own common law and statutes. On the other hand there is federal law that is applicable in all states. (The constitution also has a supremacy clause to determine state/federal clashes to give the upper hand to federal)

In the case at hand the plaintiffs are utilizing federal law. In my home state a plaintiff can decide to try the claim to the judge instead of the jury. (honestly can not recall if that is right in all states and happy to be forgetting more and more about US law) That is quite valuable if in the assessment of the plaintiff a jury will not be sympathetic to the claim or personally to the plaintiff.

Ultimately our institutions are no better than the people administering and the citizens. I am reminded of an investigation into slavery in USA by feds after emancipation. It was a rampant practice. The feds if i recall correctly filed one case against a farmer who had purchased a Black. Jury said not guilty. Should have been open and shut. Jurors who lived among the transgressor were steeped in the practice and it was considered normal and righteous. So the feds gave up. We are no better than our citizens. That leads to issues of education and dissemination of information. Doesn’t it?

I agree those facts are egregious in Canada, USA or planet Mars.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Happy Independence Day to all! Celebrating the day 246 years ago when the Founding Fathers upheld The Rights of Man, set into motion a Revolution that’s continuing to this day worldwide, and defied every one of these so-called “holy” scriptures:

When thou art come unto the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me; Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the Lord thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee. Deuteronomy 17:14-15a

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. Romans 13:1-2

Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates. Titus 3:1

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. Hebrews 13:17

Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 2 Peter 2:13-14

May we as Unbelievers keep up the Founders’ resistance to tyranny always!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

The good thing to come out of that story is that Aurora Pro Services Inc. got outed as a firm that values grovelling and brown-noseing a Supernatural God and his Earthly followers over productive ability. It doesn’t deserve a stock share of one Penny if it’s gone public and no competent project manager would trust them with repair of a tar-paper shack. And especially in this age of workplace shortages, an upcoming hurricane season, and “mostly peaceful” riot damage, any one of Aurora’s competitors should be glad to take the shabbily-treated fired workers onto their team.

A lot of the old textile Mills in North Carolina had company chaplains on staff…and the usefulness of these chaplains can be judged by the fact that this sentence is written in past tense. 😁

I see from the Aurora website that one of their staff members has quite a big tattoo on his arm. The Lord is not going to be pleased about this. Lev: 19:28

It even looks like the owner has a full sleeve done so he might burn in Hell.

The Purpose of Aurora is:
    1. To Plant God’s Seed through the Daily Reading of the Holy Gospel to every team member that is open to listening.

Well fuck you Aurora. Seems like you are also Liars for Jesus as you have just sacked 2 members of staff that were not open to listening.  Maybe install some HVAC into your own office to remove the smell of bigotry and the hot air that your own BS generates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.