Sunday School

Sunday School September 23rd 2018

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

And the award for annoying Piers Morgan goes to Thandie Newton.

A look at how impoverished the mind of a Christian can become no matter what they look like. Yet they are still able to testify without humility that the Universe is finely tuned just for them to exist.

I am an atheist and I use the word to reclaim it from those who use it as a term of derision as I constantly challenge religious discrimination and abuses. For many of us it’s just no big deal to be an atheist.

This weeks’ report of large scale child sex abuse by Catholics comes from the Netherlands.

The grieving priest was rendered irregular by the bishop.

Schools in Arizona to have Science education compiled by liars for Jesus.

Is Sarah Sanders a liar for Jesus too?

This weeks’ Woo: Our understanding of Obesity is wrong.

Climate Change: It turned Florence into a monster storm but that is mostly ignored by the media.

Did Galileo edit his ideas to fool the Inquisition?

The way hunter-gathers shared food shows how cooperation evolved but would Narcissus understand that?

A summary of one atheists’ moral positions. Yes, of course we can be virtuous without any god. It not as if we are just drunken monkeys.

It is time to get rid of Time? (This is an idea many Physicists are considering).

Giant machines that study tiny particles.

Dickinsonia is one of our oldest ancestors.

This week I am reading this book: 21 lessons for the 21st Century.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Your fingerprints reveal more about you than you might think. Some more dumb things said to atheists – Part I and Part 2.

Have a great week everyone!!

Going to Heaven!

I don’t know when,
    Pray do not ask me how,—
    Indeed, I ’m too astonished
    To think of answering you!
    Going to heaven!—
    How dim it sounds!
    And yet it will be done
    As sure as flocks go home at night
    Unto the shepherd’s arm!

Perhaps you ’re going too!
    Who knows?
    If you should get there first,
    Save just a little place for me
    Close to the two I lost!
    The smallest “robe” will fit me,
    And just a bit of “crown”;
    For you know we do not mind our dress
    When we are going home.

I’m glad I don’t believe it,
    For it would stop my breath,
    And I ’d like to look a little more
    At such a curious earth!
    I am glad they did believe it
    Whom I have never found
    Since the mighty autumn afternoon
    I left them in the ground.

Emily Dickinson.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The way hunter-gathers shared food shows how cooperation evolved

– this is interesting research from the point of view of “sharing” norms, and sharing is related to cooperation in that sharing motivates cooperation (nobody wants to cooperate with a hog or a bully).

I think it’s not surprising that people follow the local sharing norms of selfishness or generosity – because these are already working as ways to regulate being exploited.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

would Narcissus understand that?

– some say that people who post a lot of selfies are taking ownership of the way they are presented to the world, and maybe they feel under-seen in life generally and want to make their mark: they might have been rejected by their family, for example.

physeter
    Participant

Oh god… The article from Africa about how atheists are ignorant, the article that displays a massive ignorance of science and devotion to superstition…it’s on the page right next to an article about trying to “Ignite the power of science in Ghana.” They have no idea their devotion to myths is holding them back. Those poor people.

Hi physeter  – While atheism is gaining some footholds in Africa,especially in Nigeria and Kenya, it is going to take a long time for most of the continent to recover from the damage done to it by colonial preachers. But I suppose that can be said about every nation. It is all about education and the free access to information.

When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.

Desmond Tutu.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Hi Strega – I went with your idea for the Pink Floyd prism tattoo as part of full “back piece” . Only about 10 hours to go…!!

Strega

I just saw!  It looks amazing. I’d like to see the finished tatt once it’s healed.

Will post it when the surrounding “Universe” is done. At the “driving me crazy with the itch” stage lol.

Strega

Seriously, I think it’s going to be stunning.

Stop scratching!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

drunken monkeys

– “the drunker I get, the cuter you look.”  Maybe alcohol is responsible for an increased reproduction rate.

Clearsky
    Participant

Why did Jesus go round with all those reindeer?

Clearsky
    Participant

Hi Simon,

I was thinking this, after reading Regs post & article link.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/way-hunter-gatherers-share-food-shows-how-cooperation-evolved
    This study shows that in a highly mobile population, it is the group norm or culture that sets the level of sharing. (as well as fixed disposition nature )
    Its  not just kin selection on its own which might have started civilization. Not GOD.
    The study shows the level of individual sharing changes to the group norms. A person going into a new high sharing group will share more. A person going into a low sharing group will share less. This makes sense as if you put in more than everyone else you losing out. But if you put in less others will not like it. So you put in what others have put in.

( Empathy & T.O.M?)
    What is shared in this study is a food called honey sticks.
    As the total amount of group shared honey sticks is tripled by the researchers. Then distributed equally. It makes sense for the individuals to share some of their personal honey sticks. If everyone shared equally then personal investment is tripled every year.
    Like biological evolution, for selection to work there has to be variation. ( the variation here is the amount of sharing by a particular group)

If the honey sticks is similar to food production. Then the communities which have sharing will obviously grow larger. Because food collection and production also has a similar gain.

If one plants one tree, just one then if you use the seeds if the fruit in a few years you could have many trees. If people in that community all helped ( sharing by personal labour) to grow those plants. They could all profit. What people are actually doing is in some ways solar energy harvesting and concentration.

( because the plants convert light & air & water into fruits, crops and we eat those to get our energy ATP people eat other animals who also eat those plants)

The instinct to share is probably genetics, but how you share might be more cultural. As shown the study.

That sharing culture if successful will spread like a meme. ( the sharing groups survive the non sharing groups die out)

If the larger community found a suitable place which is good or near sources of food. They might settle there.

As they settle some might be better at hunting, some might be better at guarding, fighting, some might be better at looking after children etc. So the sharing now is not a material thing its personal labour which  people contribute to the survival of the group ( division of labour). Then it’s not hard to see how civilization began.

To look at solar energy in context

To put that in numbers, from the US Department of Energy:

Each hour 430 quintillion Joules of energy from the sun hits the Earth. That’s 430 with 18 zeroes after it!

In comparison, the total amount of energy that all humans use in a year is 410 quintillion Joules.

For context, the average American home used 39 billion Joules of electricity in 2013.

You could get all the energy all humans use in 12 months in just one hour of sunlight, if we could capture all of if!
    Begs the question why we are addicted to using fossil fuels?

The original paper ( free access)
    Smith et al., 2018, Current Biology 28, 1–6 October 8, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.