Tips

"Bug or feature?", and other Minor/Arcane Issues

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

Just fyi stuff here that most users won’t find interesting. I do not find them important enough to bother Umar with.

• Clicking the top menu option “Site-wide activity” does not display “updates” (short, user-spontaneous posts); but they DO appear on the AZ Home page.
    • Sometimes the only place I can Favorite or Unfavorite a post is via the poster’s profile page. (I’m still trying to figure out the other “sometimes” where/when I’ve seen that option, because it seems to vary.)
    • My often-slow mobile internet connection causes many incomplete page loads, which in turn often cause some feature to not work. (When connection speed returns to normal, refreshing the page fixes it.)

Minor feature requests; fill the “Keep a log of this edit” checkbox with however it waas when I last clicked in it during my most previous edit.

(PS: This post will be edited as needed over time, without notice in its log.)

PopeBeanie

Only after years here at AZ, I just realized a potentially-significant flaw in WordPress that can cause one to lose a post they’ve just written. (This might even also be a flaw in Ning at TA, but it’s hard to fully test this kind of scenario.)

While logged in, I wrote a post that took a while, because sometimes I’m just a slow writer! When I clicked on the Submit button, instead of posting what I just wrote, I was taken to a login screen. Obviously, by rare coincidence, my WordPress login had expired while I was writing, and WP didn’t handle my post with sufficient grace.

So I logged in again without delay, and most importantly, I got lucky by clicking the browser Back arrow button a few pages to where I was writing the post. Everything I wrote was still there, as if I had not yet tried to submit it. I copied all the text to my clipboard, just in case, but in this case, I didn’t need to. Just hitting the Submit button successfully posted my work.

Backtracking like that to a page in history has also saved me most times after I’ve accidentally left the page I was writing in. There’s some dumb hot key in Windows I haven’t figured out yet that I accidentally hit that takes me away from what I was writing. I think that I’ve even saved myself from accidentally closing the whole tab with Ctrl-W, just by finding the “Re-open closed tab” option.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.