Tips

FAQ

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Strega 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

Replying to (and/or Quoting) a post…

Usually, just log in to AZ and click on Reply or take the “usually best” option below

OR, for more options in your reply:

• Using the Quote button prepares your reply as follows:
      • The Quote button by itself copies and blockquotes the original post’s entire content, including a permalink (i.e. a linkback to the original post). (**Still, remember to add a blank line, then click on the blockquote button before you write your reply, else your reply will also be in the blockquote.)
      • If all you want to add to your reply is a permalink (linkback) to the author’s post, click on the Quote button, then delete all the text that comes after the permalink, add a blank line, then turn off the blockquote and write your reply.
      • Last option, but usually best:
        • Highlight (i.e. select) only the relevant portion of the original post that you are responding to
        • Click on the Quote button, which prepares a reply for you with permalink and relevant content
        • Again, (unfortunately as always when blockquoting) you need to add a blank line and turn off the blockquote before you write your reply

——————————————————— ———————————————————

You can always add as many blockquotes as desired in your reply in the usual copy/paste way (even if all you did was hit the Reply button):

• Highlight relevant text from another post
    • Scroll back to your reply form and click the blockquote button to turn on blockquoting
    • Paste the relevant text
    • Add a blank line
    • Click the blockquote button to trun off blockquoting

How do I include media in a post? from and by Davis

This is a function on a chat website which should either 1. involve a tool button (especially if you want to format it more) or 2. there should be a note in the edit box informing users that they can just copy and paste the link. (Thx, Davis.)

Linking to a Facebook Video

@davis, sorry for the long delay. I avoid facebook like a plague, but got extra curious today.

Found some instructions on two different videos and got the same results on each. This method makes sense wrt giving credit to the poster. But it doesn’t directly embed the video, so it forces one to visit facebook to watch it… but at least I didn’t have to log in to facebook to watch it. YMMV?

Right-click (long click on Mac?) on the video, and select “Show video URL” on the menu that pops up. (I had to scroll up on some videos before I could see that menu.) Click on the URL and copy it, then paste it directly into your post. Obviously, this is easiest to do when Facebook and AZ are in different tabs.

Two examples of what pasting just those links looks like:

Dogs react to magic part 2.

These videos never get old 😆😆🙌🙌

Posted by Oh That’s Cool on Wednesday, June 27, 2018

How a Dragonfly's Brain Is Designed to Kill

The dragonfly is one of the most successful hunters in the animal kingdom. Watch how it detects its prey:

Posted by DIY Neuroscience on Thursday, April 19, 2018

Starting a New Topic (e.g. via mobile device)

It’s the same, whether by desktop or mobile screen, but may seem more hidden on mobile, at first.

You go to one of the forums that applies and go to the bottom of the page. It looks like a comment box, but it differs in terms of allowing you to give it a title. (Thx, Unseen.)

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: Added: Replying and/or Quoting

Strega

I use an iPad and the majority of functions are slightly beyond my grasp. Any iPad tips n tricks for the forum postings would be much appreciated!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.