Does Dr. Brian Cox need to be taken out to the logic woodshed?

Homepage Forums Science Does Dr. Brian Cox need to be taken out to the logic woodshed?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

Seems Feynman’s point about explaining “why” to someone would also apply to explaining “how”, which makes me wonder more why (whoops!) I’m prejudiced against the word why in a scientific context. I can imagine scientists wondering why an experiment worked or not, and then determining how to manipulate its outcome. Kids like to ask why more than how.

I think I’m overly hung up on this, probably because why is used or implied so much in God and spiritual talk, e.g. “Everything Happens for a reason”, and “God sent that tornado because they’re gay there”. How about someone having really bad luck and wondering “Why is this happening to me?”, as if there’s a mysterious plan or trajectory of events. There’s often an emotional component to why and because that doesn’t exist in the more mechanical how. “How can I fix this?” is usually a lot more useful.

Anyhow, so I guess that’s why my judgement goes overboard against using the why word, especially in science.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.