I'm going to tell you something and you probably won't like it

Homepage Forums Politics I'm going to tell you something and you probably won't like it

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

We backed Biden in order to spare the country four more years of a President who was heading at breakneck speed toward turning the U.S. into a fascist dictatorship.

And yet, Trump didn’t lose to Biden. He was defeated by that grand medical hoax, Covid-19. If he hadn’t bungled the disease, given the slim margins by which he lost in key battleground states, he would have won a second term. Keep that in mind as I discuss this mandate issue.

Because of the way the Electoral College works, with most states handing over their Electors winner-take-all and not proportionally, Biden is headed toward a huge Electoral College victory.

It looks like Biden will win the popular vote by a much smaller margin of perhaps 5 million votes, which isn’t huge in a country of 330 million citizens where something like 130 million people voted. In fact, 5 million isn’t even 4% of those who voted. Biden won all those Electors through fairly thin margins in the aforementioned key states.

The predicted “landslide” fizzled to the degree that the Dems actually lost seats in the House of Representatives. Are you starting to see any kind of left-leaning mandate evaporating??

In fact, this country has become divided almost 50/50 between two fairly polarized camps. One progressive, valuing immigrants, not fearful of people who look different or worship a different god or no god, wanting police who treat all equally while using violent or lethal solutions only when all other options are unavailable. The other, ultra-conservative, fearful of change and feeling uncomfortable with people who look different or worship a different god or no god, and who feel it’s necessary to have police who keep the peace through fear or even terror.

Biden will govern as a moderate because if he has any sort of mandate at all, it is to stop the insanity of daily controversy and polarization.

I predict he will take steps to fix the immigration issue, find the parents of the separated children, make progress toward universal healthcare through a public option, reestablish the treaties Trump backed us out of, and help the U.S. regain the respect we once enjoyed as the leader of the free world.

I also predict he will do little in terms of defunding police on the Federal level, leaving that the states, counties, and cities. He will more actively pursue police misconduct while not alienating the cops, and do what he can to help the black and Hispanic communities improve their lot economically. Perhaps that will be Kamala’s task primarily.

He also needs to figure out how to address the grievances of the non-college educated white middle class who propelled Trump into The White House. The feeling they have that when the government picks winners and losers, too often they are the losers.

However, Biden must remain a moderate in order to become popular enough with those who voted for Trump to fend off a Trump or Trump Jr. presidential bid in 2024 (and if you think Trump Sr. is nuts…).

Biden knows—and we need to remember—that whatever is done in the next four years can be undone in 2024, especially given the paper-thin nature of his win. So, I don’t expect or want Biden to do anything extreme, which would just polarize the public even more and likely give The White House back to Trump or some other Republican.

If Biden has anything like a mandate, as I said above, it’s not to further polarize the public, and the way he does that is by being the consummate moderate.

He may even pardon Trump to lower the temperature of some of the Trumpists and maybe even win a few of their votes for 2024. This would actually do no harm since Trump could still face life in prison after being prosecuted by the State of New York.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

For me, this Election has been background noise or even less.

One good possibility from all of this: Since Biden and Harris have the (Co-) Presidency and Republican opponents hold the Senate and a plurality of the House, maybe the Federal Government will be able to do very little.  The Looney Left won’t be able to pull off any “Woke” social engineering schemes and the Religious Right won’t be able to try and turn us into New Salem.  A government that does little can do little damage and can do little to get us deeper in debt.  That is a good thing.

On the other hand, Biden, Harris, and the Republicans are all Drug Warriors responsible for the incarceration of millions over victimless drug offenses, so they could both join forces on this issue and make The War On Drugs even worse.

As for the possibility of Civil War II, we’ll have to wait and see…My area is pretty hardcore Trump country, with sightings of Q-Anon-ers, 3%-ers, Antifa, and BLM-ers, but I haven’t seen or heard anything yet.

It’s quiet…a little too quiet.

Unseen
    Participant

Whether Biden can do anything depends a lot on what happens in the Georgia runoffs to take place in January.

Today, we learn that the Supreme Court seems poised on finding only the individual mandate unconstitutional, leaving the rest intact, so that Biden can find other funding for it and keep at least that,

However, as someone of a certain age (I’m 73), I think Biden wants to have a legacy, and vastly-improved healthcare in the form of maybe a public option would do just that. I don’t think he’ll want to coast through the next four years.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Biden may make it through four years, but if he does, he’ll try to do to our paychecks what he did to the ideas and words in his law thesis.  He may not want to coast, but with his symptoms, what he wants to do may not matter.  If he coasts into the ditch, then Kamala Harris will have the helm of the conn.  If that happens, she’ll continue her past course of dirty-dealing.  Like other past Presidents, she did drugs while prosecuting thousands of ordinary citizens for the same offense.  Hypocrisy and corruption will reign supreme either way.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Fewer spelling errors after turning off Autocorrect

Ivy
    Participant

I agree with you Unseen, but I do think that the popular vote reflects that most Americans, or at least more than 50% of Americans are tired of trumps shit. We are deeply divided nation right now, and Donald Trump’s actions that are dictatorship like, refusing to concede and release funds for the transition, right now is a dangerous time. America is trying to break up with her abusive boyfriend. But the boyfriend is a maniac and he’s going to stalk her and make her life a living hell. Bill Maher made that analogy and it’s SOOO true. Trump is going to do everything he possibly can to get the election changed  in his favor. And depending on his enablers, I would not put it past him. This is a very dangerous time for our country. We have a wannabe dictator in our White House. I think the saddest thing is how so many people are still behind it. It honestly boggles my mind

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Ivy.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen, Biden may make it through four years, but if he does, he’ll try to do to our paychecks what he did to the ideas and words in his law thesis. He may not want to coast, but with his symptoms, what he wants to do may not matter. If he coasts into the ditch, then Kamala Harris will have the helm of the conn. If that happens, she’ll continue her past course of dirty-dealing. Like other past Presidents, she did drugs while prosecuting thousands of ordinary citizens for the same offense. Hypocrisy and corruption will reign supreme either way.

I guess I’m an idealist. I think people who find themselves in a position to leave a legacy have a motivation to do so.

I always go back to Lyndon Johnson, who was only on the ticket with John Kennedy to bring in southern votes. He was a Dixiecrat. But once he got in office through the assassination of Kennedy, he got the Civil Rights bill passed.

Joe Biden will try to improve our healthcare if only to earn a second term, but really think he wants to leave a positive legacy.

Kamala on the Joe Rogan show, if I remember correctly, may have admitted to having marijuana in a social situation, which isn’t the same thing as the image “doing drugs” conjures up. I don’t think her department was raiding social gatherings and arresting people smoking joints socially, was it? Was she a little hypocritical? I guess so, but I don’t think she’s different from anyone else in that regard. I’m guessing her efforts as prosecutor were against the drug trade, not social use.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

I agree with you Unseen, but I do think that the popular vote reflects that most Americans, or at least more than 50% of Americans are tired of trumps shit. We are deeply divided nation right now, and Donald Trump’s actions that are dictatorship like, refusing to concede and release funds for the transition, right now is a dangerous time. America is trying to break up with her abusive boyfriend. But the boyfriend is a maniac and he’s going to stalk her and make her life a living hell. Bill Maher made that analogy and it’s SOOO true. Trump is going to do everything he possibly can to get the election changed  in his favor. And depending on his enablers, I would not put it past him. This is a very dangerous time for our country. We have a wannabe dictator in our White House. I think the saddest thing is how so many people are still behind it. It honestly boggles my mind

I was Facebook chatting with a very conservative (okay, right-wing) guy who is an ex-Navy SEAL and gun enthusiast who likes to put up videos of bad guys being shot to death, and he is absolutely certain that (a) the Democrats stole the election and (b) there will be a civil war.

What makes his attitudes even more bizarre and distressing is that he’s no idiot. He’s an attorney who got his degree magna cum laude.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

You wrote:

I always go back to Lyndon Johnson, who was only on the ticket with John Kennedy to bring in southern votes. He was a Dixiecrat. But once he got in office through the assassination of Kennedy, he got the Civil Rights bill passed.

LBJ had some ugly ulterior motives for that passage, as some equally ugly quotes of his will reveal.

Joe Biden will try to improve our healthcare if only to earn a second term, but really think he wants to leave a positive legacy.

That legacy could be easily offset by the scandal with Hunter and Latvia, or if what he proposes for health care is even worse than what we have now.

Kamala on the Joe Rogan show, if I remember correctly, may have admitted to having marijuana in a social situation, which isn’t the same thing as the image “doing drugs” conjures up. I don’t think her department was raiding social gatherings and arresting people smoking joints socially, was it? Was she a little hypocritical? I guess so, but I don’t think she’s different from anyone else in that regard. I’m guessing her efforts as prosecutor were against the drug trade, not social use.

Kamala’s confession to drug use was on the radio show of Charlamagne Tha God (who is neither head of the now-non-existent Holy Roman Empire nor an eternally-non-existent God, discuss 👩☕.)

I’m pretty sure that drug use and the drug trade go hand-in-hand.  Except in Fantasia-like hallucinations, the drugs don’t harvest, process, and sell themselves and drug users couldn’t use if it wasn’t there.  😱   Anything she did against either use or sale would be hypocritical, again, just like past Presidents.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spelling

Unseen
    Participant

Emcpgotationer:

I’m aware that LBJ had his flaws and I don’t know what motives you are talking about, but he did give the country its first big stride toward bringing blacks into the fold.

I have yet to see any proof that Joe was in on any of the shit Hunter was up to.

Like I said, if Kamala was a wee bit hypocritical, she’s like the rest of us who may know, for example, that Nestle is an evil corporation that buys up water rights in impoverished nations and then forces the residents to pay for water that once was as free as the air, and yet we buy their products:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.