Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes

Homepage Forums Science Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Be it atheists or theists, many may feel human life may be purposeless or untenable; i.e. a never ending search or a “why” question that’s perhaps not worth asking.

I think there’s a viable alternative to especially the “purposeless” based outlook, with the introduction of a recent concept called “teleonomy”, which is an atheistic/scientific way to describe nature in purpose driven language. (In fact, as seen on Wikipedia/teleonomy, Richard Dawkins; recently introduced the treatments “archeo” and “neo” purpose. See his video/speech “the purpose of purpose”.)

Anyway, for example, using the laws of thermodynamics, we can try to objectively discover non-trivial goals that humans may undertake, as far as nature goes. (i.e. grand purposes for the human species, that reasonably transcend the desires of individual humans, while seeking to be objective, much like how Science tends to follow the evidence, aiming to describe what the cosmos actually is, rather than what people may want the cosmos to be.)

• The video aims to explore in a fun way, objective scientific purpose wrt the human species:

Sources?
    Note that you don’t need to watch the video, you can alternatively see the following two hypotheses below, which details different grand purposes that the human species may undertake:

Why make this post?

I once talked to a theist years ago, and the person mentioned they felt empty, and they even considered self-termination.

The above is another reason why I’m making this post. As an atheist back then, (I am still an atheist today), I somewhat grappled with purposelessness, although I was shocked to find out that this affected theists as well, especially when they supposedly had a perfect purpose laid out before them; namely to worship some deity.

Both theists and scientists seem to somewhat regard science as valuable; even if some theists disregard/deny many empirically observed scientific principles, they seem to not mind using many products of science, such as internet, and computers. This post is designed to appeal to scientific/objective descriptions of purpose, which may appeal to both theists and atheists.

I think people confuse the terms “Purpose” and “Meaning”. I see all life on Earth as random creations. Be it a jellyfish, a beetle or a human,, we are all just “lucky” to be alive given the odds of any one particular member of a species being born in the first place (something Dawkins also mentioned). That leads most of us with frontal lobes to eventually ponder the “Why” questions. Why am I (we) here? What is my purpose? I ask different questions; How come I am here?, How did it all start? I consider myself fortunate to be able to ask those questions and to be able to make sense of the answers I have discovered. In the long (not that long) run I see no purpose to my life. I do not look for one (anymore) because how I understand (my) reality allows me to see my life as meaningful to myself and to those I share it with. I embrace life because I only have one life. I suspect I have less than 40 years left to live and I am unconcerned with my death.

Sometimes I entertain the thought that the Universe created us so that we (who are as much a part of it as the moons of Titan) could explain it to itself as if we are the “self-awareness” of the Universe. But that is just to pass an idle moment waiting in line in Costco :-0

I don’t think there is any “grand purpose” but I am prepared to disturb the Universe as T.S. Eliot would have termed it. My friend once said that I “was put on Earth to annoy Christians” and maybe I will settle for that 🙂

I think people confuse the terms “Purpose” and “Meaning”. I see all life on Earth as random creations. Be it a jellyfish, a beetle or a human,, we are all just “lucky” to be alive given the odds of any one particular member of a species being born in the first place (something Dawkins also mentioned). That leads most of us with frontal lobes to eventually ponder the “Why” questions. Why am I (we) here? What is my purpose? I ask different questions; How come I am here?, How did it all start? I consider myself fortunate to be able to ask those questions and to be able to make sense of the answers I have discovered. In the long (not that long) run I see no purpose to my life. I do not look for one (anymore) because how I understand (my) reality allows me to see my life as meaningful to myself and to those I share it with. I embrace life because I only have one life. I suspect I have less than 40 years left to live and I am unconcerned with my death. Sometimes I entertain the thought that the Universe created us so that we (who are as much a part of it as the moons of Titan) could explain it to itself as if we are the “self-awareness” of the Universe. But that is just to pass an idle moment waiting in line in Costco :-0 I don’t think there is any “grand purpose” but I am prepared to disturb the Universe as T.S. Eliot would have termed it. My friend once said that I “was put on Earth to annoy Christians” and maybe I will settle for that 🙂

1. I think Science can describe how species came to be (using evolutionary principle, entropy etc), and also where species perhaps seek to go (using again, evolutionary principle, entropy etc).
    2. I also think many people are unaware of concepts like teleonomy, which contrasts religious endeavour, i.e. religion does not have monopoly on purpose.

I think Science can describe how species came to be….I think only Science can.

I also think many people are unaware of concepts like teleonomy…. Yes, especially amongst theists who tend not to develop their reasoning capabilities as they believe that “god-did-it”. You can’t convince them they are only seeing shadows.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.