Theist Questions I Have Been Asked

Homepage Forums Atheism Theist Questions I Have Been Asked

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JadeBlackOlive 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dang Martin
    Participant

Having grown up in the Midwest, I had a lot of experience with people who identified as Christians. When they’d find out that I did not practice their faith and did not believe in their god, they would typically get angry. This is a defense mechanism intended to shut me down.

As part of this defense, they would often ask questions. Below are some of the questions that I’ve been asked, and how I answered these questions. I’ll leave out the snarky insults included in some of the questions. Also included will be comments that I felt needed to be addressed.

Based on their anger level, I have a high amount of confidence that they did not hear my answers, because they did not care about my answers. Have you been asked a question that is not listed here? I’m interested in hearing about those.

WHO DO YOU BELIEVE CREATED ALL OF THIS?
    This assumes that I hold the belief that “all of this” was created. I do not see why I should believe that any of this was created by a supernatural being.

WHY DO YOU BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION?
    I don’t believe in Evolution. It does not require my belief. I accept it as scientific fact, and then I go about my day.

IF WE EVOLVED FROM MONKEYS, THEN WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS?
    We did not evolve from monkeys, and instead share a common ancestry. If Christians came from Jews, and Jesus was a Jew, then why do we still have Jews?

SO DO YOU BELIEVE THAT EVERYTHING CAME FROM NOTHING?
    No, I don’t have a belief regarding this. I do not know, and I am comfortable in admitting this. Why does not knowing something give you so much discomfort?

EVIDENCE OF GOD CAN BE FOUND IN NATURE. WHY CAN’T YOU SEE THAT?
    Let’s take this tree, for example. Was it created by Yahweh, or Allah, or Vishnu, or a god without a name? I don’t see an equivalent of a “Made in China” sticker on it, so I actually think it would be arrogant to suggest that any gods created this.

GOD CREATED EVERYTHING IN SIX DAYS, AND RESTED ON THE SEVENTH. IS THAT SO HARD TO BELIEVE?
    It actually is hard to believe. Why would a god need six whole days to do this? Why would a god need even six seconds to do all of this? And what powerful god is in need of rest? Why would a god get tired?

IF YOU’RE SO SMART, THEN WHY [X][insert argument here]
    I did not make the claim that I am smart. I just said that I see no reason why I should believe that any of this is true. I am willing to admit that I do not know things, while it seems that you have an answer for everything. This seems like projection.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DIE?
    I don’t know. While you have a belief of what happens, you do not know, either. If I had to make a guess as to what happens when we die, I would try to think back to a time from before I was born. Was I in heaven or hell? Was it dark and cold? Was I afraid? I have no memories of any places, people, feelings, fears, or concerns from before I was born. I suspect that death is just like this, but I don’t know.

WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?
    I cannot hate something if I do not believe that it exists.

YOU JUST REFUSE TO BELIEVE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SIN, RIGHT?
    I have an understanding of right and wrong, but do not hold a belief in the concept of sin. I suspect that if I believed in this god, then I would not have an easy time of it with the act of not believing, just so that I could do something that is against the rules. This would be difficult, because if I believed, then I would have a strong belief in these rules, as well as the punishment. Sticking my head in the sand would not be an option, and I’d still feel badly for what I had done. But then I’d get forgiven, because this would be a big part of my belief. The concept of forgiveness means that I do not have to go through the trouble of “refusing to believe” in order to be free to sin. Forgiveness would give me the freedom to do anything, even kill someone, and then get forgiven for it. In other words, belief would give me the freedom to do horrible things, so there is no reason for a believer to refuse to believe in order to sin, as forgiveness allows a Christian to sin.

IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN GOD, THEN YOU MUST WORSHIP THE DEVIL
    This is not possible. The “devil” is a character in the Christian mythology. The only people who seem to sincerely believe in the devil are Christians. To me, the devil is like your god, in that I see no reason why I should believe that it exists.

C’MON, MAN, WHY WON’T YOU BELIEVE IN GOD, JUST IN CASE? IT DOESN’T COST ANYTHING, AND IF YOU’RE WRONG, THEN NO HARM, NO FOUL.
    I’ve heard it said that your god is all-knowing and all-seeing. Based on my expectations of a god, I would expect that this god would know the difference between someone who TRULY believes in it, and someone who is hedging their bets and going through the motions, just in case, so that they can gain the same entry and benefits as someone who has put genuine effort and heart into their faith. It would be foolish to think any god could be tricked this easily.

WHY CAN’T YOU BE MORE OPEN MINDED?
    I can consider the possibility that I am wrong, and I’m open to being corrected. I cannot accept what you are suggesting, because it was suggested to me decades ago, and I’ve had lots of time to think about it. My rejection of your suggestions are not because I am being reactionary. Are YOU open to the possibility that maybe YOU are wrong? Are YOU open to being corrected? It does not sound like this is the case.

WHY WON’T YOU BELIEVE THAT GOD HAS A PLAN?
    The world does not work in a way where things appear to be planned. What is the plan for 50,000 babies to die of diarrhea every day due to a lack of clean drinking water? What was the plan for Polio, or World War II. How does slavery fit into the plan, since it IS advocated in the bible?

Plus, every time you pray, you are essentially telling your god that his/her/its plan stinks, that it inconveniences you, and that you want him/her/it to change their plan so that things are better for you. Why believe that there is a plan, when you cannot accept that this is a plan, and just go with it?

THAT CAN’T BE IN THE BIBLE! WHERE IS THAT IN THE BIBLE?
    Oddly enough, you should be telling me where this is written in the bible.

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Good write up Dang. I’m finding your posts refreshing! Thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.