WTH happened to the expected "red wave" on Election Day?

Homepage Forums Politics WTH happened to the expected "red wave" on Election Day?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

It’s expected that a reigning American President’s party takes a sizeable hit in the midterms two years into the presidency, losing both Senate and House of Reps seats. Remember Obama’s “We took a shellacking?” Yeah, like that.

With Donald Trump calling on Republicans to get out and swamp the election with Republican votes, and with pocketbook issues like the cost of gasoline and groceries on voters’ minds, both Republican and Democrat pundits expected a voting booth disaster for President Biden.

Well, the anticipated “red wave” turned out to be less a hurricane and more of a fart. Yes, the Dems suffered some losses, but nothing like what had been expected or even what would have been normal.

So, what the hell happened?

Most pundits expected the state of the economy to overshadow everything else. Well, it didn’t. Exit polling and other post-election polls are showing that the economy was just one issue along with the repeal of Roe v. Wade, the stolen election myth and the related talk about attempting to put a GOP finger on the scale in future elections.

Figure in as well the GOP’s softness on the January 6 riot where most of the criminals were strongly or vaguely (through Trump) GOP. Ironically, the pro-riot party tried to make crime an issue as well. It didn’t work.

When the Supremes reversed Roe v. Wade, to my credit, while decrying what I felt was a wrong decision I did say that the bright side was that the Court had handed the Democrats an election day windfall. And the post-election polling is showing I was right.

America’s women played a huge role in restraining the red wave. For many of them, the intrusion of old, male GOP lawmakers into their reproductive lives was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back, causing many who might otherwise have wanted to send Biden a message on inflation to decide that for them, their anger at being treated like second class citizens was the more urgent message to send.

I think ending abortion nationally is a dead issue now, and Trump’s second term is basically off the table as well, especially now that Rupert Murdoch’s media empire has abandoned him in favor of Ron DeSantis. Fortunately for the Democrats, the Trump diehards’ role from now on may be to divide and destroy the Republican Party.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

MAMA! (Make America Meh Again!). 🤷🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.