You Must Believe This – Hitch

Homepage Forums Atheism You Must Believe This – Hitch

This topic contains 46 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Glen D,

Part of Hitchens’ genius, I think, is that he lambasted Theodicy, the futile attempt to reconcile an Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnibenevolent God with the existence of natural and chosen evil in the world.

Arguments against Theodicy are among the most powerful refutations of an Omnific God, but also the most emotionally wrenching, so Ad Hominem–while fallacious and unjustified in rational discourse–usually follows.

I admit I’d need an electric dog collar to keep me from insulting some of the apologists out there, especially on subjects like natural disasters or 20th Century Totalitarianism.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Glen D,

Speaking of 20th Century Totalitarianism, I like that Hitchens grew out of Marxism and even called Heaven “a celestial North Korea,” with God as Dear Leader Kim and all the citizen-slaves as Angel’s singing his praises forever. 🇰🇵 ☀️😇😇😇

Karl Marx not only espoused economics that killed millions, but wasn’t even an exceptionally good Atheist.

Marx’ sentiment: “Religion is the opiate of the people…” was said first and best by Seneca the Younger: “Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.