CONSCIOUSNESS AND STAR TREK'S TRANSPORTER

Homepage Forums Small Talk CONSCIOUSNESS AND STAR TREK'S TRANSPORTER

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Daniel W.
    Participant

They give you an amnestic so you will forget everything that happened.  I guess that’s so that if you wake up during your surgery, you wont remember it.  Which is probably for the best.  I wouldn’t want to remember that.  Maybe people are having all sorts of out of body experiences but forget them due to the amnestic.  If you don’t remember it, and no one else knew, did it happen?

I think being under general is pretty much like being dead, except most people do wake up from general.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Daniel W..

Strega

They gave me an ‘amnesiac’ for the colonoscopy which seems to be a ‘must do’ for the population here.  I called it a date rape.  I’m pretty glad I don’t remember any of it, despite the doctor mailing me some weird photos of a place where the sun don’t shine.  Then he called me to tell me everything was fine and asked if I liked the photos.  Liked the photos.  Seriously.

I told him I was so delighted with them I was going to post them on Instagram (I don’t have an Instagram account) and maybe change my profile picture on Facebook to reflect my glory.  It was nice to hear him lost for words.

Unseen
    Participant

As for the identity of the consciousness (is it yours? are you still you?)

No. Is another person physically just like me…me?

I think that ultimately there can be no answer to this question. It’s logically unanalyzable.

If I blink out of existence and another “me” wakes up elsewhere thinking it’s me, it may think it’s me but that’s what you would expect it to think whether the original consciousness is gone forever or not.

PopeBeanie

Ah, yes, the colonoscopy is a consciousness raising experience for me. I do it without the anesthesia because I like to watch the inside tour on screen. Not terribly painful (at least for me), and in fact sans-anesthesia statistically reduces the risks of complications, and I can immediately drive home afterwards.

Youngsters, it’s the prerequisite digestive tract purging before the procedure that assails the consciousness the most, imo. Very, very unpleasant. Please beam me out of that part, Scotty.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.