Herbs

Homepage Forums Small Talk Herbs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

Going crazy growing herbs this spring…making vinegars, dried herbs and just sprinkling fresh chopped on various dishes !

Now that I am a farmer, I guess I better start praying…Damm…I could almost like this tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEWGyyLiqY4

Glen D
    Participant

@_Robert_

I envy you. Have grown herbs successfully a couple of times. First time was in using an entire back yard for growing herbs. We had a total of 60, some medicinal, majority were culinary, with a few medicinal and practical. My then wife did thing such as spinning, dying and knitting, making paper and soap. Each year I received beautiful hand knitted jumper. She also produced a large amount of absolute crap.

I’ve forgotten most things; a couple have stuck: I was a bit heavy handed with parsley in mashed spuds. Discovered that parsley is a diuretic. Pennyroyal is an abortifacient. St Johns Wort is contra indicted if one is talking anti depressants. A lot of the information I learned about herbs was about possible side effects, as well as practical and culinary uses. Well worth the effort.

A few years ago, I tried hydroponics. A few culinary herbs, and a couple of food crops; corn and tomatoes.
    My present garden has only rosemary and lavender , both of witch are useful.

I envy you your experience to come.

_Robert_
    Participant

Herbs are powerful for sure and lots to learn. So many cool scraps of practical knowledge are lost to the smart phone black hole society. I have been making beeswax hurricane candles as well, using locally sourced wax.

I just found out a tropical depression will run through here in the wee hours this eve. Nothing like the night I watched 1/3 of my roof go airborne by the light of exploding power transformers. My answer to all that misery was to stay half drunk for about three months. Technically adult beverages are in fact solutions, you know.

Glen D
    Participant

@_Robert_

Yeah, herbs are a fascinating area of interest.

I never grew anything illegal; I’m allergic; weed makes me vomit and then hallucinate.

Yeah, I understand about staying drunk. When working I functioned. After I retired I managed to stay sozzled for about 3 years. Got sober in 2002, and have stayed that way. A real pity, because I love alcohol in many forms.I still get tempted quite regularly.

If you think unlimited booze is the answer, you’ve forgotten the question. Lest I sound too pompous; in your situation, I would almost certainly have done the same, at least.

_Robert_
    Participant

I hear ya Glen D. I don’t have the physical addiction gene. I regularly go a week or two without until the situation beckons. I do become more creative and more socially brave after a few bourbons. I still miss  the Hitch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.