Is the Xian God A Predator? Are All Gods Predators?

Homepage Forums Theism Is the Xian God A Predator? Are All Gods Predators?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

“Switching places” and “caring” are fundamental to human nature I think, as products of cooperation, which is how we survive.

Clearsky
    Participant

I think it is probably is a part of human nature. Likely a combination of culture and genetics.

There is a fundamental good aspect of the golden rule, but also drawbacks.

But as you guys know not everything which is natural or nature is moral.

One drawback is that in the G.R ask one to treat others as we would like to be treated.

The problem is when there is a mismatch between what we want and what others want.

There is an implicit assumption that all humans want the same thing. ( atheist vs believers, the Empire vs the colony).

One way that a person can overcome this assumption.

Is to accept that different humans want different things. Embrace difference.

Before doing things that involve others and assuming what they want.

We could actually take the time to ask them Is this what you want ?

Respect the humans autonomy and free will.

Then we could as Humanist come to an Democratic and shared outcome.

What some times happens is that the powerful can use the Golden Rule to suit themselves. Where you can hide personal control over others under paternalistic benevolence.

You could even argue that a more complicated version of the golden rule will include this.

” I would wish that others would seek my opinion and consent, before doing any action which has any impact upon me”

Don’t know just thinking about it!

Clearsky
    Participant

I found this on YouTube

What makes something right or wrong.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Clearsky.

Strega

@clearsky wrote : One drawback is that in the G.R ask one to treat others as we would like to be treated.

I think the more primitive issue is who we consider to be ‘others’.  Sexist, racist, misogynist- all acceptable states for a person as long as they are considered outside the group, and therefore not the ‘others’ in the Golden rule as applied by that person to their actions.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@strega – “Sexist, racist, misogynist- all acceptable states for a person as long as they are considered outside the group”

– I think that’s true.  In the Bible, the Golden Rule is first introduced in the Jewish Old Testament, but it only applied to other Jews, and Jesus was the one who “universalised” it to include out-group members in the parable of the good Samaritan.

Clearsky
    Participant

The New Testament says other stuff as well

Jesus is quoted stating

But those mine enemies, who would not that I should reign over them, bring them hither and slay them before me.’”

Luke 19:27

The Good Samaritan  ( also in Luke) is not one outside of the Group. They are both  believers.

The man who is injured is a Jewish person and the Samaritan both believe in God.

The Samaritans (/səˈmærɪtənz/; Samaritan Hebrew: ࠔࠠࠌࠝࠓࠩࠉࠌ, translit. Shamerim (שַמֶרִים‬), “Guardians/Keepers/Watchers (of the Torah)”) are an ethnoreligious group of the Levant originating from the Israelites.

• The ” Good Samaritan ” example does not show that Jesus universalized out groups.
    • Because the definition of Samaritan is a believer of God and one who guards the Torah Scripture of God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritans

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@clearsky – “The Good Samaritan” –

according to the Wikipedia entry for the parable of the Good Samaritan, the Jews and Samaritans normally hated each other.

Jesus is quoted as saying “But those mine enemies, who would not that I should reign over them, bring them hither and slay them before me.” – Luke 19:27

This is from the parable of the ten minas, Luke 19:11.  Jesus is quoting the words of a “hard king” whom the people don’t want to be king.  So he’s not speaking as himself, but quoting a horrifying character.

Clearsky
    Participant

That is what I am saying,  They hated each other, but they are still in the same group.

They are both in the group of people who both believe in GOD.

The Neighbour of Jesus in the Parable is the ” Good Samaritan ” 

Because he is the Guardian of the Torah and he helps  fellow Believer even though he may hate him.

Which is even worse a person acts purely on the basis of group inclusion .

Its a good story about helping others, as you know there were people who didn’t help. But from an Atheist point of view I don’t think it is a good example of universalised morals.

If you want find a better Human construct of moral principles, then the universal declaration of human rights maybe one.

I personally think the Bible is does divide people.

It divides the believer and the atheist.

If you look at other stuff in the Gospel of Luke. Jesus say often what happens to those who follow him and who don’t.

I don’t know if you have read the GOD delusion book.

One really powerful point is that however moral you live your life.

If you don’t believe in God then there no room for you in heaven.

So belief in God trumps a moral life.

I guess that we are not going to agree on this topic, which is fine.

All I am saying is that the scripture is inconsistent, even I the same gospel.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Clearsky. Reason: Spelling error

Clearsky
    Participant

Thanks,

Strega

I think your right here.

PopeBeanie

Genes are to biological DNA as Memes are to our cultural DNA.

Nice. Too bad cultural DNA can behave like silly putty looking for molds to fill.

PopeBeanie

Christian history and variations of belief, including definitions of God, are a lot larger and more complex than Islamic history. Asking if Allah is a predator is more simply answered in the context of knowing how and which humans invented and promulgated beliefs in Him.

Islam is Human Religious Predatory Behavior, Ulitimate Version. The Gabriel-in-the-cave-fantasy scripture, invented almost single-handedly by a war general/political giant, practically cut into stone permission for Islamic theocracies to forever rob people of freedom and hold complete power over all human beings. It’s just easier now for jihadists to blame the rest of the world for their circumstances.

Thank God Christianity couldn’t perpetuate a monolithic, absolute brand of power of (whatever they define to be) “God” over people and country. Pray that those calling themselves Muslims have or gain the freedom to split off from from Islamic-governmental fundamentalism and tyranny.

Speaking in a meme metaphor, religious DNA replicates as viruses in need of gullible, weakened, mutated, or subjugated human hosts. Think zombie apocalypse or hive mind, but with predator commanders channeling a mythical divinity.

And sapping our precious bodily fluids.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.