It may now be possible to be God of your own universe

Homepage Forums Science It may now be possible to be God of your own universe

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Create a universe that could potentially expand to include matter, galaxies, planets, life, and even intelligent life.

This is no joke!

Is this even ethical?

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Unseen.
    • This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer. Reason: to open link in new window

Our cosmos could thus have been burped into being by the laws of physics alone.

It could only come into being via the Laws of Physics.

Unseen
    Participant

Our cosmos could thus have been burped into being by the laws of physics alone. It could only come into being via the Laws of Physics.

So, anything that conforms to the Laws of Physics is ipso facto ethical?

BTW, there was a theological movement in the 1960’s called the God Is Dead or Death of God Movement. It’s core idea is that God, who once used to be present to people in biblical times, is clearly not around today. The theology ranged from deistic “god made the world but doesn’t participate in it in any relevant way” to “God has abandoned us” (esp. among Jewish theologians post-Holocaust) to an actual “God has died.”

Thinking about that last one tied to the subject of the post, perhaps our universe was created in a lab by a mortal being who no longer exists.

OK, my statement was too short and merits further comment.

I do not give any consideration to moral or ethical concerns when it comes to how “cosmogenesis” occurs. For the sake of argument let’s assume it is possible to create one. If China builds its own particle collider and a collision creates a “Big Bang” or it discovers a monopole that inflates to create a wormhole which seeds one, the laws of physics, or more precisely the laws of QM (as such there are) will have to apply. The new Universe can only be birthed by an advance in technology that itself is created following the laws of physics.

The ethical questions raised by this technology would have to be addressed by philosophical enquiry (which, like critical thinking, should be thought in schools).

I find the author to be somehow overly concerned with how offended theists might be with us “playing God” if such a thing as Cosmogenesis were possible. “How would we handle the theological implications”? That is a question for theists but for me it a non-question, like the color of an angels wing. Then there are those who see “little threat to his faith” but that is because he is only moving the gap God fills back a step.

Having said that I understand the need to consider the ethical aspects of such hypothetical questions if we could do this. If we assume this new Universe eventually evolves life how could its creator, probably long since dead, be responsible for it. We would most likely be extinct by the time its life evolved that one of its own philosophers might one day conclude “Gott ist tot”.

I don’t subscribe to string or multiverse theories and don’t really see us creating another Universe from within this one, either accidentally or deliberately. But if we did it could destroy us by disrupting the uniform rate of speed at which space expands at. The ethical reason for not creating another Universe is for the preservation of life in this Universe rather than possible life in another one.

This is the first of the many possible answers I could give 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.