"Pedophilia" got a bad rap, didn't it?

Homepage Forums Small Talk "Pedophilia" got a bad rap, didn't it?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen. Do you think it is immoral, under any circumstances, for a 40 year old to have sexual relations with a 15 year old?

Under ANY circumstance? It would have to be a pretty extreme circumstance involving “as opposed to what?” Suppose an evil person had a gun to the child’s head claiming that unless we had sex, he’d kill her. What would YOU do? In that case, it’s not a decision about what’s right vs. what’s wrong, but about what is less wrong.

More seriously, I don’t use morality terminology, which I see as belonging to a precept-based system. I prefer ethical terminology because ethics is about making good decisions not blindly following precepts.

Generally speaking, barring a circumstance like finding oneself the last two humans alive on a desert island and needing to reboot the human race, or some such ridiculously-unlikely circumstance, I would find having sex with a 15 year old highly unethical.

Age of consent is all over the place and depends upon where you are.

The lowest statutory age of consent in the United States is 16, but in some circumstances it is allowed to marry a 14 year old and presumably have “marital relations.”

The age of consent is 14 in Germany, with the proviso that it is illegal to do so if it is exploitative.

Anyway, I get the feeling you want to paint me as a pedophile. I’m not. I do find attitudes and laws about it fascinating.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Unseen.

Davis

No unseen I just wanted to you to answer the question. After three attempts you finally did. Thank you. I did not for a second think you were a paedophile but I wouldn’t have been surprised if you had a  nuanced take on relations between adults and non-adults as you have brought up this topic numerous times and have mentioned cultural relativism and cultural norms all but this time. I was completely wrong. I unreservedly apologise. Sorry.

Unseen
    Participant

No unseen I just wanted to you to answer the question. After three attempts you finally did. Thank you. I did not for a second think you were a paedophile but I wouldn’t have been surprised if you had a nuanced take on relations between adults and non-adults as you have brought up this topic numerous times and have mentioned cultural relativism and cultural norms all but this time. I was completely wrong. I unreservedly apologise. Sorry.

All is explained by the rather obvious fact that I like to stir the pot.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.