Restitution for Slavery. Threat or Menace?

Homepage Forums Politics Restitution for Slavery. Threat or Menace?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Belle Rose 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

I anticipate one argument against reparations will be: “The black slaves were bought from black vendors. Shouldn’t you be finding their relatives before you hit us up for reparations? Or at least, why don’t you explain why they shouldn’t owe you reparations as well?”

_Robert_
    Participant

The British Royalty as well as Portuguese, Dutch, and French firms were all in the slave trading business. Packed human beings like sardines down in the bilge. If we are gonna do this we need to send them a bill. That cheap slave cotton went straight to UK textile mills. It is no secret why the confederate battle flag looks a lot like the union jack. Eventually the overseas slave trade fell off because states like Virginia were essentially raising slaves and selling them to farmers in the new slave states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_African_Company

As an aside, imagine if the government requires DNA to establish claims. Not sure I would love that.

Unseen
    Participant

As an aside, imagine if the government requires DNA to establish claims. Not sure I would love that.

What database of slave DNA would be used? Also, it can be argued that not all American blacks are the descendants of slaves (Obama being an obvious example), and yet even these blacks suffer consequences that can be traced back to the heritage of slavery.

The whole notion is a logistical nightmare.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant
    What database of slave DNA would be used? Also, it can be argued that not all American blacks are the descendants of slaves (Obama being an obvious example), and yet even these blacks suffer consequences that can be traced back the heritage of slavery. The whole notion is a logistical nightmare.
    Just guessing they could use regional African DNA databases to trace your ancestry back to a region known to be raided by slavers for instance.

Belle Rose
    Participant

I guess I don’t really see the point in speculating in hypotheticals lol…I mean we know it’s not going to happen right? Right now they’re packing people in cages all over this country. We are a long way from any reparations.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.