Whaaaaat?????

Homepage Forums Politics Whaaaaat?????

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  JadeBlackOlive 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Davis
    Participant

Sweet Jesus icecream stores are branded as “hate speech” by Canadian religious clowns. That is honestly the first time I’ve even heard of Christian groups getting angry over just about anything…including extremely nasty jokes by South Park and Canadian comedians. In any case…naming a shop after a character in a religious script is NOT hate speech. Hate speech involves a broad, negative, intolerant, sweeping attack on a group of people…usually marginalized people based on race, gender or sexuality (things that are inherant properties of other people). Some people from particularly attacked and marginal religions try to have hate speech also apply to them (despite religion being a voluntary and changeable quality. Canadian Christians are not marginalized, they still have considerable influence in Canadian culture and politics (especially in Quebec). And naming your store after a character in a holy text is not a a hostile and intolerant attack on a people. Calling it “Christians cannot enter” or “Jesus was a stupid dick” or “Icecream for non-religious intelligent people” or “Christians are moronic idiots”. Those may qualify as a kind of hate speech….though even then for all of these examples…it is quite questionable that even those are hate speech.

full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sweet-jesus-ice-cream-1.4592984

It is part of a more problematic trend of the misuse exceptional and malicious terms appliying them to acts which are not particularly horrible and unspeakable. When we start to extent these meanings (hate speech) to what can easily be simply ideological criticism, when a man holding the door open for someone who happens to be a woman being considered a form of patriarchal sexism, calling a politician a totalitarian or facist for changing a law you don’t like and refer to women using birth control as a form of genocide…completely degrades the importance and exceptionalism that these words can express.  While I sympathies with these Christians being hurt by an adoption of a concept they care about, I find their comparison of a shop called “Sweet Jesus” with something like say “attacks and vandalism on mosques” or calling Jewish people “money grubbers” or labeling Muslims as “terrorists” as a gross misuse of a term that only serves to make actual hate-speech as simple as what is every day talk that may hurt people’s feelings…rather than exceptional and horrific attack.

• This topic was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Davis.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Davis.

Strega

I always think this sort of process keeps the idiots happy and busy.  I found the chocolate crucifixes on sale at Rite-Aid again this year.  I wonder who buys them.

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Damn shallow!

Daniel W.
    Participant

I think selling chocolate rabbits at Easter is antigay.  The rabbit god, Tu’er Shen is a diety who manages love and sex between gay people.  By chocolatizing him and eating him, people are commiting a hate crime.  Also, in Imperial China, gay men were called “rabbits”.  Again, it’s a hate crime to bite off their ears and tails.

Strega

What if a gay person eats a chocolate rabbit?

Asking for a friend 🙂

Daniel W.
    Participant

@strega, then it’s a sacrament.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Daniel W..
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Daniel W..

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

What about dark chocolate….is that racist?

Davis
    Participant

Also, in Imperial China, gay men were called “rabbits”.  Again, it’s a hate crime to bite off their ears and tails.

unless you are a gay man in china…in which case biting the ear off a choloclate rabbit…is empowering!

Daniel W.
    Participant

@jadeblackolive  – dark chocolate is my favorite.  Especially with certain additives, such as cayenne, or orange zest, or candied ginger.  But I don’t think they make chocolate bunnies like that.

@davis – I’ll buy that!  So for christians, biting into some Jesus ice cream should be empowering too!  And don’t thy also have chocolate Jesuses?

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Yes, dark chocolate is the only chocolate for me. I like add-ons too, hazelnuts, almonds, orange, coconut, cranberries, acai, etc. I like the Italian, or Belgian best.

Davis
    Participant

i was in belgium for 5 years and came to try the major chocolate houses. i looked online to see which you can order cheaply in America for those living there. I checked them all on amazon and a few luxury supermarkets…but most of them like Galler, Godiva and Leonidas are insanely expensive. Luckily…my favourite…Neuhaus…is really affordable! 25$ for a box that costs about 18 in Belium for example.

for americans:

the affordable one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Neuhaus-Chocolate-Classic-Ballotin/dp/B0765NSFVY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522204225&sr=8-3&keywords=neuhaus
    luxury box good for a birthday gift:
    https://www.amazon.com/Neuhaus-Chocolate-Exclusive-12-pc/dp/B074GXB1VT/ref=sr_1_16_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522204225&sr=8-16&keywords=neuhaus

I checked Canada…and it is not so affordable. But then…you can always scrape off the chocolate on a Nanaimo bar!

For Simon…you can hop on a train and be home easily the same day!As for Reg…well…he can hop on a ryanair flight to brusels and take slightly longer…easily back in the local public by the evening. In your cases youll just have to visit Neuhaus’s flagshop in the Gallerie of Brussels. They’ll let you taste a couple every time you visit!!

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

I usually go for Baci, or Ferraro Rocher.

Davis
    Participant

Actually Jade…appart from Nanaimo bars…my favourite Canadian sweet/dessert are Turtles. I’d kill to have one!!!

Davis
    Participant

As well…a Tim Hortons opened up in Madrid…and has turned out extremely popular! Canadian food…que es eso? Now they all think Canadians diet consists of sandwiches, vegetable soup and donuts.

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Don’t forget Timmy’s coffee!

I HATE Turtles chocolates!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.