Al Gore Vs. Algorithms is Off-Beat with The Bill of Rights

Homepage Forums Politics Al Gore Vs. Algorithms is Off-Beat with The Bill of Rights

This topic contains 37 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

I doubt that intelligent people who have achieved success in life have the highest birth rates in a world with diminishing resources. Of course, you can also doubt that intelligence correlates with success, but that would just be just the sort of stupid woke shit that is running rampant on the internet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/11/does-iq-determine-success-a-psychologist-weighs-in.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_and_fertility#:~:text=There%20is%20generally%20an%20inverse,born%20in%20any%20developed%20country.

You would really have to be either very selfish/religious/irresponsible or a real dumbass as a US citizen to have six kids these days. Not like they are working the farm unlike places like Niger, Chad, DR Congo and Somalia who are leading the birthrate charge and also have very high child death rates.

If I asked my nieces and nephews who are at of average intelligence, at least to locate Chad on a globe, it would take them ten minutes. If I quoted quintessential Franklin or Jefferson, and asked which one it was, they would have a 50% shot. So yeah, IQ isn’t everything but that hardly matters if you didn’t learn jack-shit in these “kiss your ass, no kid fails” schools anyways.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Well, if IQ is not an objective measure of intelligence, as your previous article from Norway says, then how can we rightly say that high IQ equals intelligence or success?

If I asked my nieces and nephews who are at of average intelligence, at least to locate Chad on a globe, it would take them ten minutes. If I quoted quintessential Franklin or Jefferson, and asked which one it was, they would have a 50% shot. So yeah, IQ isn’t everything but that hardly matters if you didn’t learn jack-shit in these “kiss your ass, no kid fails” schools anyways.

People can know things without using knowledge in an intelligent manner and people can be intelligent without being filled with Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit factoids. Also, wouldn’t this make “kiss your ass, no kid fails” schools the real culprit, not algorithms?

Unseen
    Participant

@ Robert

More useful to success than IQ is at least a healthy dash of psychopathy, the tendency to use, exploit, and betray others to reach one’s goals.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

@ Robert More useful to success than IQ is at least a healthy dash of psychopathy, the tendency to use, exploit, and betray others to reach one’s goals.

Of course, but that could be seen as just another form of being smart and clever. IQ tests are fairly concentrated on recognizing patterns and remembering multiple facts long enough to apply logical problem solving. The ability to “think ahead”, so to speak. But there are other cognitive skills that benefit your outcomes such as the ability to read people and play social games to get more prizes. If they cross certain lines while manipulating; they end up losing as well.

And let’s not discount physical ability or attractiveness. We all know an attractive person can often get away with being a complete dumb-ass and still do very well in life. If you want to argue that people of lower intelligence across all spectrums and on the average typically have better outcomes such as more wealth or better health than those of higher intelligence, you are gonna have to show me the evidence because that is contrary to my common sense.

_Robert_
    Participant

Robert, Well, if IQ is not an objective measure of intelligence, as your previous article from Norway says, then how can we rightly say that high IQ equals intelligence or success?

People can know things without using knowledge in an intelligent manner and people can be intelligent without being filled with Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit factoids. Also, wouldn’t this make “kiss your ass, no kid fails” schools the real culprit, not algorithms?

The pandering to kids in schools is no different than algorithms pandering to political or social groups, telling them what they want to hear. Learning in an echo chamber is impossible. Holy fuck, when you listen either to MAGA people at a Trump rally or college kids “out protesting” answer interview questions….it is a stupidity contest on who could be more closed-minded.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Holy fuck, when you listen either to MAGA people at a Trump rally or college kids “out protesting” answer interview questions….it is a stupidity contest on who could be more closed-minded.

Agreed, but they did that before Internet algorithms when the media were TV and radio stations, printing presses, hand-written papyrus, and messages sent by footmen or carrier pidgeons.

And government regulating or outlawing algorithms is not the answer. That would just mean government would decide what is “Truth” and “The Current Thing.”

It all comes back to Friedrich Hayek’s “Fatal Conceit” problem of knowledge, in which one man or one elite with perpetually imperfect knowledge like all humans dictate to all the rest of us how to run an economy and a society. Only in this case, the “Fatal Conceit” problem of knowledge applies to the pursuit of knowledge itself.

_Robert_
    Participant

I am already assuming that social media and political algorithms may ultimately destroy democracies just as the old- fashioned media propaganda did in the past. I am giving the US about a 50/50 chance. It is the nature of a democracy to be free to cancel itself should her citizens fail.

Unseen
    Participant

Unless the Democrats put up someone more electable than Biden, and if Trump isn’t sent to prison before the election, we seem to be doomed to be like the Germans under Hitler. Speak up and go to prison or your grave, emigrate, or be good little compliant Nazis.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.