Catholicism

Homepage Forums Advice Catholicism

This topic contains 34 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  . 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Participant

I’m taking the classes with my son for becoming Catholic. They are going to teach us what they believe. When we are done we are going to do the same thing with Islam, Buddhism, etc….Im teaching him about all religions….

We may become Catholic for societal shoe, especially since it’s a tradition in our family…any pointers?

jakelafort
    Participant

Teach him instead to reject any institution that requires him to be a receptacle for dogma,  that shuns questions,  that supports an unjust ordering of social hierarchy, promotes discrimination and makes claims about the universe that are without any empirical basis and static.

Strega

You’ll have to eat flesh and drink blood!!

Participant

I’m teaching him those things but also what other people believe

Participant

I think he should learn both

tom sarbeck
    Participant

Bellen, Catholism wants slaves. Do you want slavery for him?

You should teach him about all religions. I think however that making a decision that he is to be a Catholic is unfair. Allow him to make that decision for himself when he old enough to make that decision. Of course the Church won’t stand for that because they need to indoctrinate children when their minds are developing or it does not stick. They want them baptised and confirmed by about the age of eleven, before they develop critical thinking skills which they will never learn in any class run by them.

I have nephews in their early teens who are atheists by choice. They know about all the major religions but came to the conclusion that not only is the emperor not wearing any clothing but that there is no emperor in the first place. When my nephew in Georgia was nine he was asked to put the word “Exodus” into a sentence by his teacher. He wrote “Exodus is a great album by Bob Marley”. His father immediately said “Excellent, think about all the crap he will NOT have to undo when he is older”.

Basically, Catholics must consider themselves to be sinners thanks to what Adam and Eve, who never existed, did. They must confess their sins on a regular basis to a priest who believes he can forgive them on behalf of the Creator of the Universe. They tell children that the Christian god loves them and watches over them at all times but hangs the threat of eternal damnation over them which is a great confidence builder for a child.

Their sex education classes are useless. Condoms are bad even if they prevent AIDS, sex should only happen within marriage and only between a man and woman, divorce is frowned upon, being gay is  abnormal and do not even think about touching yourself. All children will be quizzed about these things in the privacy of the confession box. (Catholic Emissions testing is the term I use nowadays).

They must believe that the wafer and wine are the actual flesh and blood of Jesus. This is a core belief. You must believe this or you are not a Catholic.  Most Catholic do not know this so sometimes I go out of my way to remind them, usually when they ask me where I get my morals from if I don’t believe in the god they say they believe in.

I would also check all of the priests against the sex offenders register and any lay people who are involved directly with individual students. The reason for this is that hundreds of them are child molesters and rapists, unfortunately even the ones that seem so meek and pious. I suppose the main thing to remember is the god that they are talking about does not exist so their whole thing is built upon a myth started before any form of proper children’s education began.

What benefits do you think he will get by being a Catholic? Why is it an important tradition if it is all make believe?

Participant

I feel like I was cheated. And I don’t want that for my son…

jakelafort
    Participant

cheated of what?

Participant

Really long story

Participant

My mom wanted me to be raised Catholic

I don’t understand how you can feel cheated by not being a Catholic. You should be glad that is the case. I feel cheated of my time by being forced as a child to endure hours of indoctrination by Catholics. I am in no way grateful for any of it. It was all bullshit and a waste of my time.It was so mind numbingly boring.

Participant

I don’t understand how you can feel cheated by not being a Catholic.

Because my parents wanted me to be Catholic. That was THEIR wish for me…and one of the reasons they gave me to the family they did….

My son’s father is from a Catholic background in MX. He’s talking about taking my son to MX to meet the family. Anyway, I think it’s important for me and my son because it becomes a matter of social “inferiority” in some cases. I was thinking that I’m teaching him that this is “tradition” of HIS cultural background and telling him that we’re going to learn about “ALL” of the religions as part of his homeschool…but that he’s going through the process all our family goes through…It’s kind of a matter of being able to just understand what’s going on. If he’s traveling to MX which I anticipate he may do quite often in the future…he won’t have to questions the things going on around him. He’ll understand and develop his own connection to the culture he’s from…

Of course I’m going to tell him we’re learning about the entire world, not just our own little bubble…But he also won’t be looked down upon…He’s already got the “wedito” going against him…or for him…depending on how you look at it.

Participant

My biological father gives me rosaries for presents on a regular basis…and I have no fucking idea what to do with it. I feel like for my own knowledge I should find out…It’s who I am.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What does “wedito” mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.