Interesting legal question with philosophical overtones

Homepage Forums Small Talk Interesting legal question with philosophical overtones

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Texas GOP wants to execute women who have abortions

The bill — House Bill 896 — was introduced by Texas GOP Rep. Tony Tinderholt.Tinderholt said the bill subjecting women to the death penalty for having abortions would “force” women to be “more personally responsible.” He added that there would be fewer unwanted pregnancies if women “know that there’s repercussions.”

Unseen
    Participant

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

But once they’re born the state should give no succor even though they are born to circumstances that put them behind the 8 ball. Let em eat libertarian pie. It is low cal.

_Robert_
    Participant

I give the US a 33% chance of folding into authoritarianism/dictatorship and/or a civil war within the decade. Have you noticed that the few GOP politicians who stood by the constitution during the coup attempt are doomed…and not even planning to run.

The next elections could be a real nightmare.

Unseen
    Participant

I give the US a 33% chance of folding into authoritarianism/dictatorship and/or a civil war within the decade. Have you noticed that the few GOP politicians who stood by the constitution during the coup attempt are doomed…and not even planning to run. The next elections could be a real nightmare.

Perhaps not if the GOP continues down the path of sponsoring or praising things the voting public doesn’t support. By making it virtually impossible to get an abortion in Texas (which is being copied by GOP-majority state legislators in Florida and elsewhere), by discussing the death penalty for women who get abortions or their doctors, by so obviously favoring the rich while the middle class suffers, and by promoting The Big Lie of a stolen election which about 2/3 of the GOP voters believe but almost nobody else does.

They seem to be working hard on reasons for people to vote Democrat.

jakelafort
    Participant

I am siding with Robert. It is those mindless citizens who will take us down. Facts be damned. Mythology, conspiracy, racism, deep distrust of government. Even a medical crisis is politicized into a fake issue of freedom. That fight for freedom is paramount. Sheeple are the rest of us they say.

The left is over the top. They both lie to fit their narrative. Facts be damned. Trend towards authoritarianism is strong. Full speed ahead damn the nation.

Unseen
    Participant

I am siding with Robert. It is those mindless citizens who will take us down. Facts be damned. Mythology, conspiracy, racism, deep distrust of government. Even a medical crisis is politicized into a fake issue of freedom. That fight for freedom is paramount. Sheeple are the rest of us they say.

The left is over the top. They both lie to fit their narrative. Facts be damned. Trend towards authoritarianism is strong. Full speed ahead damn the nation.

Biden’s poll numbers are below 50%, but they are still well ahead of Trump’s in a head-to-head contest, so maybe we should hope Trump runs again.

If you want to follow American opinion, FiveThirtyEight’s Latest Polls is about the best place to look. Here’s today’s. I don’t see much in the way of GOP bright spots in it, do you? Right click on the image and select “Open image in new tab” to see it larger and more readable.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

You see to think elections still matter. They are fake news in the eyes of the people who will act on what they believe while the Dems sleep on it as usual. Why is Trump not in fucking jail?

Unseen
    Participant

You see to think elections still matter. They are fake news in the eyes of the people who will act on what they believe while the Dems sleep on it as usual. Why is Trump not in fucking jail?

The American system needs to be rewritten from top to bottom. The wheels grind way too slowly.

jakelafort
    Participant

Remember how we kept hearing that Trump was scared that once his presidency ended there were gonna be all these criminal matters? Is there a fear of rioting if he is put on trial?

Unseen
    Participant

Remember how we kept hearing that Trump was scared that once his presidency ended there were gonna be all these criminal matters? Is there a fear of rioting if he is put on trial?

I’m sure something will happen if he’s put on trial. GOP politicians are given to hyperbole nowadays because they see the path toward keeping the GOP in power is by subverting the election process and they do that by whipping their “base” into a frenzy.

Still, he needs to be behind bars where he can’t run for office, though if he does, I think he’ll lose again and the cries of “the fix is in” will be even more fervent.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.