Just got my Flu Shot, My Dr says……

Homepage Forums Science Just got my Flu Shot, My Dr says……

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

….they do not accept “Anti-Vaxers” as patients. They turn them away for the safety of their patients. I like that.

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Good. Got to take a stand.

PopeBeanie

Awesome.

Forcing us to get vaxxed is nothing but a tyranny against our religion.our faith and our country……..said a man with sincerely held beliefs in an imaginary god.

_Robert_
    Participant

So here we go again, hitting right near home already…the result of billions of humanoids crammed together and exchanging ever evolving DNA/RNA. Some barely alive entity wrecking havoc on the prodigal earthly lifeforms despite all the spiritual thoughts and prayers. We are off to buy giant bags of rice and beans.

PopeBeanie

Woke up this morning with an unusual “thickness” of mucous membranes in my nasal cavity and uppermost throat. My first thought was ruh-roh, a pathogen!? [Warning of possible TMI here] Was also having an unusually thick coating of mucous, which I could snuff and swallow ok, gradually clearing out my passages and feeling more open… but since just recently learning how biofilms have physical characteristics similar to mucous, second thought became ruh-roh, a biofilm!? I.e. perhaps a bacterial infection; but it doesn’t feel like a typical inflammation.

Finally, third thought was maybe an allergy, which would be unusual for me, but yeah, it’s been windy and warm here the past day or so, we’re entering springtime when some pollen’s popping out, and yeah, my eyes are a little itchy too, so that must be what it is. If I did more research, I might learn what’s popping around here, but I’m actually not that interested any more. I’ll just endure it for today and it will probably pass.

Meanwhile @robert, I looked up what’s new covid-wise in Florida, and saw one case each in Hillsborough and Manatee County, both around mid-west coast. Btw a few days ago in my state (CA) was the first reported USA case of probable “community infection” of one person, meaning they can’t figure out where it came from, and this person hasn’t been travelling. May have caught it from someone else in the local community, who’s unknown, who’s travelled.

Covid 19’s not going to be a serious for us, imo, except maybe for some oldsters (like me) and diabetics (like me), but I’m still not worried (about me). I think tens of thousands of humans die in this country annually from various viral infections, but that’s almost never news, right?

Meanwhile, here’s very pretty artistic rendition of a coronavirus (cross section) I snagged from a podcast page of This Week in Virology. (I listen to most episodes in bed because (1) I usually learn something, even before I soon (2) fall asleep because I inevitably hear a bunch of virology jargon that I cannot easily make sense of. Zzzzz!!)

artists rendition of a coronavirus, with pretty colors

PopeBeanie

For next time you need help falling asleep, or/but some people will find this interesting.

Dengue is a nasty virus that kills and maims a lot of people on the planet. There are four versions, named DENV-1 through DENV-4.

Often immunity against one virus can make one immune to other, very closely related viruses, but in the case of DENV, immunity against one version increases the danger of catching any of the three other versions. In fact, vaccinating against any single version of DENV is a bad idea.

Now there’s a more-probably effective sleeping pill for you… a recent, scientific paper on the probable safest way to immunize against DENV, which is to immunize against DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3, and DENV-4 almost all at once.

I hope to learn someday how DENV evolved this way. There’s another interesting virus (I don’t remember which), that can hold only some of the viral genes required for successful infection. It can only infect a host successfully when there are enough viruses of the same species that bring the right missing viral genes to the party. I can understand how this might have evolved, e.g. perhaps it was just likely enough to deliver a full set of genes with more than one viral package… i.e. bringing in a total package of genes that just could no longer all fit into any single virus capsid (or “particle”, in the jargon).

Furthermore, this could even be an example of “beneficial horizontal gene transfer”, albeit it would be happening outside a virus capsid/particle, in the cytoplasm of its host cell. (Another guess here, armchair scientist that I am), the encapsulation of an incomplete set of genes amongst a number of incomplete virus particles might also be advantageous as an unusual form of type of genetic recombination, like what happens when a male and a female contribute their “part” (or version) of their (full set of) genes. (OK, science fiction time, now imagine a mother who’s received and used sperm from multiple partners, and is able to sort out the “best of” combination of genes for just one egg. It’s easy if you try. I suppose I could have said “donors” instead.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.