New site is ok, new style is not

Homepage Forums Small Talk New site is ok, new style is not

This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

SteveInCO
    Participant

@unseen, no I was thinking of someone who is “no longer with us” (i.e., she passed away)

SteveInCO
    Participant

Not sure where else to put this question.

If there’s a place (say in the profile area) to control the timezone that times are displayed in, I still haven’t found it. It appears to be set to UTC at the moment (an adjustment I am used to making, but others might not be).

Unseen
    Participant

I suspect that the perfect software solution is also an expensive software solution and the change is being made to save money in the first place, so we may have to live without some things we’d like, like (for me) threading.

Why is the time important to you? I just realized I never pay much attention to it.

Rebel
    Keymaster

@steveinco

By default timezone is set to UTC+0

I think users can’t set timezone. I shall look for a plugin for it.

Rebel
    Keymaster

SteveInCO
    Participant

@unseen, having the clock set to UTC doesn’t bother me much (though I had to experiment to determine the timezone). As I said, I’m used to using UTC in certain contexts. It could very well confuse someone else, however.

Non-threaded topics have a distinct advantage (which this forum *doesn’t* exploit properly, ironically enough) in that for a long thread, ALL of the new activity is at the end and it’s easy to get caught up. On the old site, when a thread got to be 12 pages long or so, it became very painful to scan each page of that thread for new replies. My email notification (which came out at midnight UTC) would give me links to the LAST thing every participant had said in the previous 24 hours, but it could be that, for instance, Unseen replied four times. Where are the other three replies? Time to do an exhaustive search. Oh, and each of those links opened its own tab, and having more than three or four tabs open to T|A meant the Chat facility would bring my machine to a standstill–my browser could even crash if someone typed “Hi!” in chat. As much as I love chatting with people, THAT chat applet just flat-out sucked.

I said that this forum doesn’t properly exploit the advantages of a non-threaded topic, and by that I meant that many forums actually have a page that will display a list of topics that have had activity since the last time you did the search, and give links to the first new reply in that topic. So you go directly to the new content, and only the new content, and don’t have to go there ten times if there are ten new replies. This forum doesn’t seem to have that feature (or maybe I just haven’t found it yet).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  SteveInCO.

Griffin
    Participant

@matt @umar Just remember the WordPress best practices: Always add extra functionality via plugins (homemade plugins if the function is small and specific to avoid bloat). And if you ever change anything in a theme (that isn’t an available setting), create a child theme to do so (it better guarantees your changes will persist after updates).

Rebel
    Keymaster

@griff

Thanks for your suggestion. I am using a child theme.

@steveinco

I don’t fully get what you mean.

There are 2 widgets on sidebars. You can find recent topics on top left widget and recent replies on middle right widget. You can find all recent activity in forums at the bottom of this page http://atheistzone.com/forums/

Cesar Deicide
    Participant

@umar If there a feature regarding post number?
    Can I link to a post like this? #377 or promote one in another thread #330

Edit: Apparently not; can this function be added?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  Cesar Deicide. Reason: Testing for possible feature

Rebel
    Keymaster

SteveInCO
    Participant

@Umar

The recent activity page is usable, but generally I have to load six or seven pages of it to see everything that has happened since I was last on. It’s an exhaustive list, showing every single reply, therefore touching each thread more than once, and includes notifications of friendships, etc.

Another thing about it that’s bad is if you click on a link from twenty hours ago, read the full post, then come back, you have to reload the six or seven pages again (it doesn’t remember that you were looking at two hundred items before you left it). I can work around that by remembering to open in new tabs (or I can read the reply on the page itself if it’s fairly short, but sometimes I want to be in the thread so I can remind myself of the context). If I ever forget to open in a new tab, I get the benefit of practicing my command of profanity (as in “Steve you fucking idiot, why the hell didn’t you open a new tab?”) as I hit “load more” eight times to get back to where I was.

The feature I was talking about was a list of topics that have had something happen in them. Each topic is listed once, no matter how many new replies it has received since the last time I came here. It’s not cluttered with friendship notices (which, while interesting, aren’t really “meaty” with interaction). I can click on a link to be taken to the first new reply in that topic, and simply read from there to the end. Because it is NOT threaded, there’s no need to be told of every single reply; I just need to know which one is the first one so I can start reading. And because I can read them all together, it’s easier to remember the context of each reply. (If it’s a one-liner on a topic that hasn’t seen action in a couple of days, I usually have no idea what it’s about unless I can scroll back and remind myself.) This sort of thing used to be very common on internet forums (and I still see it a lot), and I’ve never understood why it became unfashionable; it seems to have something to do with this weird “stream of collective consciousness” paradigm that Ning used (I guess it’s a Facebook/Twitter thing; I use neither. Such a format works pretty well, I think, when it’s one person’s online life being done, but not for a discussion forum that is about dozens of people.)

I recognize that if the replies are ever set up to be threaded, this sort of feature then suddenly makes no sense at all, because the thread won’t be automatically sorted by age of reply. But even there, a page that includes all the friendship notices and makes you “load more” multiple times is a bit unwieldy for finding new replies.

Anyhow, if you still don’t understand my description, it’s a failure on my part, and I can try to get some screen captures from other fora I am on to show you.

Rebel
    Keymaster

Are you asking for a feature that is specific to only logged in users?

I have added another widget, Topics with Recent Replies. But problem with it is that it links to first reply.

You should check Activity page because

1. It lets to filter activity.
    2. It will alert you if there is new activity.

It is better to set activity to everything after using it otherwise you will see sorted/filtered activity on homepage and all other pages that has activity stream.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  Rebel.

SteveInCO
    Participant

Are you asking for a feature that is specific to only logged in users?

Now that you mention it… it would have to. Because it has to compare what you read the last time you looked to what’s out there now (or it couldn’t show you the difference), and in order to do that, it would have to recognize you as being the same individual who was here X hours (or days) ago.

That at least offers me an explanation of why it’s not done this way on a lot of sites. (Incidentally, it’s always implemented as a type of search you can do, behind the scenes it’s a search for threads with activity since time X (presumably extracted from data saved about your account). More sophisticated versions will look for anything you haven’t read since you joined the forum, which, if you keep up and read everything, reduces to the former case. Hmmm, maybe there’s a widget out there that can do the latter? Search for unread replies since the date the logged-in user joined?)

I’ll have to look into filtering the latest activity feed. Removing the friendship and new member notices would make it much more useful for finding recent *posts*. As of right now my method is to scroll to the bottom of that, keep hitting “load more” until I see my avatar, an indication I’ve mad it back to the last time I was on, then scroll up, opening tabs whenever I see a topic for the first time. (If I remember seeing “climate change” I don’t open it a second time, because that reply will be on the tab I already opened, just down a bit.) It works as long as I remember to open in new tabs, and as long as opening new tabs doesn’t slay my computer like it did on T|A.

Your widget on the right is a decent workaround to the logged in user aspect of it; I can scroll on my own to the first reply I haven’t seen yet. However… it seems to only show five or six threads with no provision for adding more; if there has been activity in fifteen threads since I was last here, I’ll never know it based on that.

On the whole I think a filtered activity feed would probably work a bit better depending on how much activity there is. (Now I just have to figure out how to filter it.)

[Edit. Found it. The control is not visible on the home page, you have to go to “Activity”]

SteveInCO
    Participant

This, I am pretty sure is a (minor) bug, and (unless he’s a developer) Umar will have to pass it on.

Sometimes in the activity, if it starts with an @username link, the entire post’s text is in blue. It’s like it doesn’t properly close the formatting tags. When you follow the link to the actual post (click on the time of the post in the activity list), it’s correct.

SteveInCO
    Participant

Possible enhancement. Given that the topics don’t thread, I often like to quote the exact text I am responding to (I copy/paste inside a pair of em tags). This is in addition to doing the @UserName thing.

I notice there’s a reply link above everyone’s response, but it doesn’t seem to do anything other than send you to the comment box at the bottom of the page. Would it be possible to have it paste the entire text of the comment in as a b-quote, so that it’s easy to make it clear what you’re responding to? (Even better if the quote included the information as to who posted it and when.) That’s a fairly common feature on those old style fora I have been remembering, and I think it’s very useful for non-threaded topics. (Of course you get the whole post that way, and maybe you’re replying to one sentence… but you can always delete stuff from within the block quote if it doesn’t pertain.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.