Nobody saw this coming

Homepage Forums Small Talk Nobody saw this coming

This topic contains 275 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 day, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 271 through 276 (of 276 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

The Warning’s Dany and Pau are in the top 10  Best Mexican Female Singers list, and Dany is #1!!!

PopeBeanie

This voice teacher/reactor calls her reaction “emotional”, and I don’t think she’s faking it. She started with TW from third grade level and jumped right to a post-grad level in under 20 minutes. (That’s my lame metaphor.) Maybe it was too much, too quick, but I like when reactors unexpectedly tear up.

Unseen
    Participant

@ PopeBeanie

Yes, I saw that one the other day and almost posted it myself.

Unseen
    Participant

Freeze the Fall is a Canadian rock trio showing a lot of promise and getting a fair amount of interest from The Warning fans. However, despite doing at least two covers of TW songs, they might want to emulate TW in various ways. First, drop the fussy fiddly wardrobe, girls. It’s a distraction. Drummer guy…the mask? come on! And get a new audio engineer. Your mixes are murky and your voices are so highly processed that they only way you’ll ever reproduce them live is by lip-syncing to the original recording. It’s often hard to distinguish them from the instrumentation.

All lessons you could learn from TW.

That said, they are attractive kids (still 15 and 16, I believe) and the drummer and bassist are exceptionally talented musicians. The lead singer/guitarist is charismatic and if you watch some of their live shows, they are coming along when it comes to stage presence, which TW has in spades.

Here is their new release (official video came out today):

Unseen
    Participant

Things people get wrong about The Warning that I have to straighten them out on.

Now and then I’ll hear a reactor say something like “I’d like to hear Dany take more solos.” I explain that Dany simply doesn’t take guitar solos, if what you mean is an on-the-fly original solo like Eric Clapton took on the song Crossroads or that Jimmy Page did on Good Times Bad Times.

When Dany seems to take a small solo, it’s not a solo. Listen to the same song from a different concert and you’ll find she plays it exactly the same note for note. This is why I call them guitar breaks not guitar solos.

Can she take a true solo? I’m sure she can, but The Warning’s project isn’t to impress other musicians (though they all are impressive). Their project is to play their songs note for note as their audience remembers them, as closely as possible, every single time.

Here’s a video supposedly of Dany’s best guitar solos, but if you have listened to The Warning’s songs as much as I have, you’ll know exactly which note is coming next from the other time or times you’ve heard the song:

The same is true of Pau on drums. No drum solos in the band’s music. She did a guitar “duo” with another female drummer and performed extemporaneously, but that doesn’t happen during their songs. Once again, note for note the same every time they play in concert.

Here’s the aforementioned duo and as you watch, notice how young she looks. She’s pitted against a far more experienced and schooled drummer, but gives a good account of herself. That she’s having a bit of a hard time (her “tell” is biting her lip as she plays) may be due to the absolutely nutty time signature of 15/16. A rock drummer like Pau plays almost exclusively in 4/4:

I’ve also heard reactors comment that their songs are “short” and “could be longer.” Well, they are committed to a three-to-four minute traditional radio air play length, which is fine with me.

To understand what The Warning is, they need to be compared with the band many would call the GOAT of guitar rock bands, The Beatles. And I mean the earlier Beatles when they were just a rock and roll band, before they became arty and George Martin became a fifth Beatle, blurring the line between what was Lennon and McCartny and what was George Martin.

I compare The Warning not so much with The Beatles band but more with the Lennon and McCartny songwriting collaboration. The Warning is a song composing machine, even more than Lennon and McCartny. There were some fillers on Beatles albums, especially as time went by. Some songs were little more than inside jokes.

By contrast, one is hard-pressed to find anything even vaguely resembling a less than stellar effort starting with their Queen of the Murder Scene album. At this point, and starting maybe five or so years ago, they simply lost the ability to write a bad song.

So, to summarize, one needs to judge The Warning on their terms. They are their own thing. They are not trying to be Cream, Rush, or The Beatles.

They are The Warning and they are on their way to becoming the very best guitar rock band of all time, based on their unmatched consistency in writing great songs and reproducing them in their live concerts.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 17 hours ago by  Unseen.
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 17 hours ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

The Warning released a lyric video of another song from their upcoming Keep Me Fed album:

Viewing 6 posts - 271 through 276 (of 276 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.