A simple question of ethics

Homepage Forums Small Talk A simple question of ethics

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco, you equate opiods with marijuana?

Sure, opiods are a killer addictive drug. Not dope. Dope helps so many people with so many problems. It also makes a lot of people happy and high. Get me more and better doping weed.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Without knowing anything of your situation, have you explored the possibility of consulting credit repair before going the route of bankruptcy?  Perhaps they could make an arrangement with all your creditors so payments are manageable, so you have funds freed up for your treatment.

Cancer support groups could be a source of ideas on the subject of financing care, as could your provider itself.  I’m sure they encounter the situation all the time.

While I have no experience with it, GoFundMe has raised lots of funds for both organized and personal causes, so it’s something to consider.

There is always a choice, and the more you have, the less these dilemmas arise.  I hope my suggestions are helpful.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

With genetic modification and control for dosage, content, and purity, they could all be made equally mild and with fewer ill side effects.  Pot in particular could be administered in THC pill form without the ill effects from smoke.

Many overdose deaths come not from the drugs per se, but from the impurities the drugs are cut with by organized crime dealers, things like paint, fuel, Ajax Cleanser, corn starch, powdered milk, etc. ad nauseum.

Legalization of all of it would bring everything above board and out of hiding, where it can be researched, modified, and made safer.

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco, Unseen did not write anything about his personal financial circumstances. And those credit repair companies are a rip-off. Many are sponsored by credit card companies. Arrangements are not necessary. I had clients who wanted to avoid bankruptcy and make arrangements with creditors. Most of the time the credit card companies were intransigent. Fuck em and the horse they rode in named master card.

Anybody who has some disposable income can instead file a chapter 13 and pay their disposable income for three to five years and get a discharge on any remaining balance. No dealing with credit card companies individually. The federal law shoves it down their throat. There is also a big misconception about how someone’s credit is fucked for life. It is bullshit. Lots of post bankruptcy filers in very short order get mortgages, auto loans and credit cards. I helped some clients get mortgages while their bankruptcies were pending. Ya see having obtained a discharge you are 10 years barred before eligible to again file bankruptcy. Ya cant say that about anyone else. So that gives potential new lenders greater security.

Now let me dope my ponies before ya say any other dopey things!

jakelafort
    Participant

Yeah Enco legalization is definitely the way to go. And yes impurities are always a risk. When i was a dopey kid i once picked up a joint that was in a hall of a motel. Me and my dopey friend smoked it. Wow did my heart race. Think it was angel dust. Fuck me!

But marijuana already comes in pill form. Ya can get it at your friendly neighborhood doping dispensary. It also comes in gummy bears, cookies, and tinctures to name a few.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

Enco, Unseen did not write anything about his personal financial circumstances. And those credit repair companies are a rip-off. Many are sponsored by credit card companies. Arrangements are not necessary. I had clients who wanted to avoid bankruptcy and make arrangements with creditors. Most of the time the credit card companies were intransigent. Fuck em and the horse they rode in named master card.

I know he didn’t write anything about his personal finances.  That’s why I said I didn’t know.

I was just making a suggestion for him to investigate further, possibly to take care of finances in one fell swoop rather than calling each creditor.

I myself have been behind on bills before and contacted my creditors myself before too.  I had no trouble making and fulfilling payment arrangements or changing payment due dates to time them with payday.

As with most things you get from other human beings, it is a simple matter of asking politely and with regard for their self-interests, Adam Smith-style.  Ever try it without threatening litigation afterwards?

Now let me dope my ponies before ya say any other dopey things!

“Dopey things?”  You’re the one who says he smokes other people’s throw-aways and Dumpster-divings.   I think the “angel dust” is doing a flashback on you.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Simon,

If you ask me, from a UK perspective, it is the health care system that is at fault by making people pay or die.  It’s inhumane.

Since this is National Preparedness Month, here’s a good place to sum up human survival needs.

Yes, both health care and health maintenance with regular check-ups are important.  But there are survival needs we use much more often.

A human can only live roughly 30 days without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without shelter from the elements, and 3 minutes without Oxygen.  Should taxpayers be forced to provide these and should producers of these good be forced by law to provide them to all?

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco,

I know he didn’t write anything about his personal finances. That’s why I said I didn’t know.

I was just making a suggestion for him to investigate further, possibly to take care of finances in one fell swoop rather than calling each creditor.

Solution for hypothetical issue? That is a little silly.

I myself have been behind on bills before and contacted my creditors myself before too. I had no trouble making and fulfilling payment arrangements or changing payment due dates to time them with payday.

You should have contacted a professional. You may have been eligible for a fresh start. Just like the decision to not accept your stimulus money you might consider acting in your best interest. Be like the companies you love who stick it up the ass of anyone and anything that is in their way.

Enco..As with most things you get from other human beings, it is a simple matter of asking politely and with regard for their self-interests, Adam Smith-style. Ever try it without threatening litigation afterwards?

The politeness part is a throw-in. Interests aligning is where you find the juice. For knuckleheads like you who were frightened of the stigma associated with bankruptcy and wanted to settle their debts or make payment arrangements i threatened bankruptcy, not litigation. (Settling debts creates debt forgiveness income that is taxable by IRS whereas bankruptcy discharge of debts has no negative tax consequences) And coming from an attorney it gave me leverage to settle or make arrangements on some occasions. Some creditors though have policies that are unbending.

Enco…Dopey things?” You’re the one who says he smokes other people’s throw-aways and Dumpster-divings. I think the “angel dust” is doing a flashback on you.

Yeah that was pretty fucking stupid. Live and learn

PopeBeanie

And Islamofascists in the Middle East and the Cartels in South and Central America are the biggest profiteers of Drug Prohibition, just as organized crime in the U.S. was the biggest profiteer of Alcohol Prohibition.

I’m quoting only one example from your post that illustrates how wildly off-topic you can go in order to present a personal rant. I personally like to zoom out on topics and consider a bigger picture or 30k foot view on them, but that’s clearly not your intention here. This topic (A simple question of ethics) is also not the only example of how you hijack an original poster’s conversation. Please consider more carefully how to respect the original poster’s focus, and if you still feel strongly enough, feel free to start another topic!

In fact, if you like, you can start a new topic right now, and with Unseen’s permission, I’ll move relevant posts from this topic to your topic.

PopeBeanie

Should taxpayers be forced to provide these and should producers of these good be forced by law to provide them to all?

Yes, to a more reasonable extent than the the current USA’s system. Other countries are quite happy with their more socialized approach to health care. There will always be deeper, philosophical questions wrt how to prioritize health care costs, and this is one of those slippery topics where the goal posts keep moving, not just due to politics or a nation’s wealth, but because of the constant evolution of medical care. So we should know how to plan ahead better, including making reasonable predictions on cost effectiveness of specific aspects of health care, which (in fact) insurance companies understand very well, but necessarily operate in terms of short-term profit calculations instead of longer-term calculations of overall health of the country’s population.

There is always a choice, and the more you have, the less these dilemmas arise.  I hope my suggestions are helpful.

But some people have more choices than others, e.g. because of what race or family they belong to.

Davis

Enco, it is unconscionably immoral for an utterly filthy rich country like the United States (a nation with wealth the world has never seen before) to allow a citizen to die because of thirst or hunger, all things that can relatively easily be covered by soup kitchens and water subsidies which, as a total cost relative to the US annual budget, costs the equivalent of those pennies you find under your livingroom sofa during spring cleaning.  It boggles my mind how a sizable minority of Americans can be so proudly sociopathic. Holy fucking donkey-crackers Enco. Funding soup kitchens and live saving water should not be controversial. Not only is it the moral and civilised thing to do…taking care of citizen’s basic needs has MASSIVE benefits for the rest of society including the minority of well off people who are so sociopathic they despise the government spending pennies to relieve mass suffering. Lower crime, higher employment, fewer health problems and so on. Only people who are a prisoner to an absolutely berserk ideology can be so inhumane as to hoard pennies to “teach the destitute” some grotesque life-lesson. Some people are born with or end up in shitty situations or lack the skills, drive or mental capacity to make decisions that seem obvious to us.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Davis.

Unseen
    Participant

@Enco

Stop talking like a fundamentalist Christian. You’re killin’ me.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

PopeBeanie,

A simple browse of the post will tell that this didn’t start or end with me.

And a 30k’ high view of health care will show that it packs in a lot of sub-threads and topics including personal finance, drugs, economics, policy, religion, and many others.

I passed on my own suggestions and what I’ve found by experience works.  Everyone here is a big-pants person who can use it as they will and the choice and responsibility is individual.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.