Are ethnic jokes inherently wrong, racist, or offensive?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Are ethnic jokes inherently wrong, racist, or offensive?

This topic contains 163 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 164 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

We desperately need advances in neuroscience. It is imperative that we have some grasp on how it is humans are so easily manipulated, so amenable to group-think, so vulnerable to religion, political ideology and tribalism. We are on a crash course with our extinction. Therefore we need to understand ourselves before we can change ourselves.

Davis

That is the deal these days. Targeted massive ideological pleading, just a mouse click away.

Good point. After having to moderate social media comments for years and having witnessed how easy it was to almost instantly setback things like vaccination rates and spread even the most outlandish conspiracy theories…I believe the world would be an infinitely better place if social media disappeared.

Davis

It is imperative that we have some grasp on how it is humans are so easily manipulated,

Well I would say that the corporate world has had the art of manipulating consumers down to an absolute science for decades. It’s just…the government doesn’t think they should be in the business of counteracting this phenomena in any way…even though they should. Even if that counteraction is just much tougher regulations on marketing content, social media laws and private information laws.

Unseen
    Participant

We desperately need advances in neuroscience. It is imperative that we have some grasp on how it is humans are so easily manipulated, so amenable to group-think, so vulnerable to religion, political ideology and tribalism. We are on a crash course with our extinction. Therefore we need to understand ourselves before we can change ourselves.

The answer is obvious: Manipulate some neuroscientists (psychologists, sociologists, etc.) into doing our bidding and finding out for us.

jakelafort
    Participant

I see ya workin Unseen. Not bad.

Work as hard as you want but it makes no difference to our masters in the long run….

jakelafort
    Participant

Although it oughtn’t concern ya is that your place in Hibernia?

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

Are you sure you’re not suffering from a bad case of Tourette’s Syndrome?  You’re sounding like a page out of Stormfront one minute and The Daily Worker the next, then scold me as some kind of ideologue.

Look I love equity as much as the next fellow, but if property values fall based on the length of my shrubs or worse, the length of the neighbors’ shrubs or my neighbor’s skin color, then that is a shitty investment, I wouldn’t rely on it, and anybody who has to use some trick “Gentlemen’s Agreement” to maintain their real estate investment deserves to lose every Penny on that investment.

And if Jay-Z and Béyonce want to buy my hypothetical abode as a spare home for when they’re in town and need to hide from poparazzi, then the people who want a “Gentlemen’s Agreement” will just have to eat dirt.

If I’m going to have real estate as an investment, it’s going to be agricultural or industrial land, something that can be used to produce something people want and need to buy, something that provides continuous revenue stream far beyond liabilities, something that can be re-tooled in changing economic conditions, and located some place with low taxes, a culture that treats an individual’s property with respect, and no recent history of eminent domain, nationalization, or collectivization.

My home?  Like George Carlin said, it’s a pile of stuff with a cover on it, to keep your stuff while you go out and get…more stuff!

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco, i aint utterly sure of nuthin.

I do have a friend who thinks i am autistic only cuz i can speak backwards and he knows of an autistic kid who does the same.

I am not scolding ya. I would just like to see you get out of the mindset of worshipping free market capitalism and libertarianism. Here is a guideline promulgated by Jake the Flake. If you are incapable of criticizing aspects of your political ideology then you are an ideologue-being as mindless as an orthodox follower at least as to your politics. You can do better. I encourage you to avoid all of those wacky memes and references and instead focus on substance.

The real life hypothetical i described is a resultant of free market capitalism. Were it not for judicial oversight we would continue to experience overt racism. We would continue to have segregation to a greater degree. It is just one tiny issue i brought up and again how you would handle it is immaterial. And by the way i am not a proponent of scrapping capitalism.

Carlin was good. Stuff and more stuff..

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

Another thing, the biggest enemy of minorities and marginalized having  affordable and plentiful housing have been government social engineers at all levels of government.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s “urban renewal” programs destroyed entire neighborhoods starting from the 1930s and continuing through subsequent Administrations until the 1970s, targeting minority neighborhoods and forcing residents into rat-trap, Section 8 public housing projects.

On the local level, zoning laws and building codes restricting building of apartments and muti-family dwellings disproportionately target the poor and deny them opportunities for housing.

Today, many homeless activists have proposed the building of the most wonderful, affordable “tiny houses” to acommodate anyone from the starting-out young to the divorced to homeless veterans to the elderly to just everyday people who want a home-office-outside-the-home or just a suburban “Hobbit Hole” to hang out and chill.  But the Not In My Back Yard (NIMBY) crowd collude with land use planners and fight tooth-and-nail to keep “tiny houses” away and if they had their way, “tiny houses” would never be built.

Government has done for housing what it has done for fighting poverty in general.  It breaks legs, gives crutches, and claims it does people favors.

Davis

Another thing, the biggest enemy of minorities and marginalized having  affordable and plentiful housing have been government social engineers at all levels of government.

That’s such bullshit Enco. You really come across as a neo-capitalist ideologue sometimes. Even if the government gets it wrong sometimes, they usually get it right. Offering subsidised housing to the dirt-poor when the free market wont and the alternative is going to the streets is NEVER a bad thing. Housing is insanely expensive because of speculation and manipulative real-estate practices. If purchasing and selling houses were taxed more and there was a levy on unoccupied houses, development was better regulated and planned then you wouldn’t have quite the obscene prices we have in some cities.

I simply cannot understand how someone could claim that the government trying to house people who would be homeless otherwise are the problem when it is speculation and unregulated markets that make housing the most distorted market out there. In Canada alone, in cities/provinces where the government has higher sales/purchase taxes and non-occupancy taxes the prices are far more reasonable. It makes picking up and dropping off houses like they are trading cards less attractive (part of what drives up prices beyond reason) and keeps houses from being empty so speculators can ramp up the price and still sell a “never occupied home”.

Further more the marginalised have problems affording houses because they make less because they face barriers to getting jobs, promotions and fair wages.

jakelafort
    Participant

Man alive, Enco, you still managed to avoid saying anything substantive in re to the instant issue.

Are you totally cool with free market capitalism in the form of real estate transactions in which the purchaser takes the property with restrictions on alienation so that undesirables are SOL? Have you observed that allowing such freedom of contract while not only perpetuating a racist practice also limits free market capitalism? Give the capitalists what they want and yet their principles of a free market are subordinated to the greater goal of keeping the undesirables races out and protecting property values.

Were the courts justified in denying real estate owners freedom to include restrictive covenants? Remember that these covenants were imposed on prospective purchasers and transferees until the end of time.

As for urban renewal i lack sufficient knowledge to form a judgment. I am sure being displaced through eminent domain was not always pleasant for owners even when they received just compensation. The goal of giving housing to the poor is cool. I can say that section 8 from what i have observed has worked well. Not shit holes. Not the ones i have seen anyway. And good investment properties because many are duplexes and if tenant does not pay the gov does. And obviously much of FDR and his social programs were a big success. The social Security Act has the greatest legacy and is really the sine qua non of minimal life needs and not on the street. Section 8 and rent control have also enabled less affluent folks to stay in their homes in the big cities where otherwise they would have been displaced.

I am not saying there is not a great deal to criticize in the US government. Deal with the issue head on. Stop with the red herrings. Is free market capitalism the cat’s ass?

Here is an interesting experiment on tackling the homeless problem in Vancouver that works.  I was more impressed with the nationwide policy approach called Housing First in Finland where housing is seen as a fundamental social right. Capitalism is not very good at fixing the problems that it creates. Here is a Ted Talk about it that is worth a listen.

jakelafort
    Participant

Good links. It is good to know that there is a place where helping the fallen to rise actually occurs.

jakelafort
    Participant

Am wondering how the notion of providing housing for homeless knowing that it is less expensive than status quo will be received by the right.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.