bullying

Homepage Forums Politics bullying

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I overheard a “water cooler” conversation today in a clients’ office.  It was between 2 mothers talking about the awards ceremony in their children’s school last night. It appears that both their sons won awards for “attendance at school”, “taking part in athletics” and “being polite and considerate”. In order not to upset any boy in their class, all of them got the same awards. Well done boys!!

jakelafort
    Participant

couple of possibilities Simon…force with force,  culture of intolerance for bullying among peers who punish bullies in various ways including exclusion,  school administrations secretly drug the offending bullies

Unseen
    Participant

@unseen – “aggressiveness beats assertiveness every time” – it depends what you mean by “beats”. Assertiveness gives a better long-term outcome than either submissiveness or aggression.

Simon, I know the difference between an opinion and a fact. I think I smell a contrary opinion.

Unseen
    Participant

I overheard a “water cooler” conversation today in a clients’ office. It was between 2 mothers talking about the awards ceremony in their children’s school last night. It appears that both their sons won awards for “attendance at school”, “taking part in athletics” and “being polite and considerate”. In order not to upset any boy in their class, all of them got the same awards. Well done boys!!

What’s next? Awards for boys not being too masculine and for girls not being too feminine. This would align with the notion among many feminists that the only natural difference between the sexes is the physical body, behavior being accounted for by nefarious and repugnant and paternalistic social pressures.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think it’s worth awarding students for their own particular talent: for something they’re good at.  If awards have to be given to everyone, which is kind of dumb.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@unseen – “I think I smell a contrary opinion.

– it’s an opinion.  What do you think of its validity?

Unseen
    Participant

Strega: Kids aren’t taught to lose, any more. Everyone wins. Competitions do not have losers. Everyone gets a medal. This sort of philosophy denies the kids the lessons they need in life, where failure exists and coping with a failure defines your ability to exist in society.

I think it’s worth awarding students for their own particular talent: for something they’re good at.

That reminds me of an event in primary school (US Grade 6) when a boy was “caught” drawing during math class, a subject he was very poor at. I remember the teacher (a civilized man, compared to the Christian Brothers) staring at the picture for a minute. At that age, 8 or 9, we had the same teacher all for all subjects. He brought him to the back of the class and gave his own “art desk” with all the equipment he might need to draw. The teacher would still do math with him for a few minutes each day before he could start sketching.

That boy now commands good money for his pictures and is a lecturer in fine art in a European art school.

So rather than awarding students for their own particular talent I think it better that we encourage them by giving them the opportunities and they will eventually earn their own awards (or not).

Simon Paynton
    Participant

That’s a great story.  What a cool teacher.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.