Chinese herbal medicine

Homepage Forums Small Talk Chinese herbal medicine

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Belle Rose
    Participant

Out of curiosity, I went to see a Chinese doctor. She gave me what she called, “Chinese herbal medicine.” I asked her for an ingredients list because I told her I’m allergic to a lot of stuff. She wouldn’t tell me what was in it! I couldn’t believe it. How is it that this supposed remedy is so secretive? What’s with that?? Has anyone else had that experience. I could not believe she would not tell me what was in her little concoction.

I was too afraid to try it out of fear of an allergic reaction. Waste of money and time. I don’t like the way the US does medicine either.

I’m interested in herbal remedies….I think it is a good way to go. I just don’t know where to find good information that’s not woo.

Any recommendations?

jakelafort
    Participant

Ancient Chinese secret shrouded in mist and mysticism…

That is business!

Mint, parsley, rosemary, not so much…

@Belle Rose – I’m interested in herbal remedies….I think it is a good way to go. I just don’t know where to find good information that’s not woo.

Any recommendations?

Yes, I would recommend starting with this article. See also today’s Sunday School ‘Woo’ article. The reason you were not told about the ingredients is because they don’t do anything. TCM is bunk.

Autumn
    Participant

She wouldn’t tell me what was in it! I couldn’t believe it.

While it’s the right call not to take it, it could just be that she’s trying to protect her speciality. If what she’s selling is her knowledge, then revealing the formula may make it so you can prepare the ingredients yourself next time if none of them are too obscure or pharmaceutical grade. I am not saying that makes her practice legit. I’m just saying she wasn’t necessarily trying to deceive you or anything.

If you have the means to shop around for a GP/ family doctor, you probably can find one who does more than trying to get you out the door with minimum interaction. A good GP will probably have the greatest breadth of health-related knowledge for most things and won’t have a problem recommending means of managing certain conditions beyond issuing an Rx or telling you to just live with it.

The difficulty with herbal medicine is the extent to which it is actually studied and verified. Many foods do have healing properties in some measure, but how your body makes use of them is complicated and not always well understood. Furthermore, studies may show a compound in a food has specific health or medicinal benefits, but the amount you’d actually need to consume to get benefits is unrealistic or vastly inferior to appropriate medications.

But if you are specifically looking for herbal remedies, consider a naturopathic physician. They aren’t limited to herbal medicine, but it’s a very different approach. Just check to see whether naturopathy is actually regulated where you are or whether your physician has actual credentials. Unfortunately, what falls under the term ‘naturopath’ is broad enough to cover everything from pseudoscientific nonsense to legitimate practices.

‘Alternative health’ is often marketed based on people’s disdain for certain facets of conventional ‘western’ medicine. There is a lot of opportunism that goes on as a result. If someone’s pushing homeopathy, for instance, they’re either a bit too gullible to be helping you, or they’re out to drain your wallet. But a proper naturopath won’t do that neither will they shy away from referring you to a medical doctor if you are showing signs of something that requires attention beyond what they can do.

Another possible option would be a registered dietician. While they don’t likely pedal herbal remedies, if you’re looking at managing ongoing issues that may be related to what’s going into your body, a dietician could be the best bet for helping you sort that out. Diet has been a means of managing a much broader list of issues beyond weight and nutrition. Although a dietician isn’t likely going to be a good option for many issues nor for acute care.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Belle Rose,

Waste of money and time.

I hope and trust you did not do this, for my recommendation is to reverse the premise in the negative and don’t waste your time and money. Contrary to our resident Determinists, I know you can do this. 😁

PopeBeanie

Touting “medicines” without transparency and evidence is an age old snake oil approach.

For more detailed, specific research, I’d try google scholar, e.g. starting with something like this:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2018&q=traditional+chinese+medicine&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

I limited those search results to 2018 and later, just to sample what’s newest. You might have some luck by adding keywords to the search that’s more specific to your interest. You can also set any search as an alert that emails you with any new results as they happen.

Perhaps TMI here, but for a few years now I’ve been in therapy for my life-long hoarding issue, with the same therapist that’s helped me completely overcome (in order) 1) depression and 2) the severe social anxiety I had since high school. (Seriously, I couldn’t even feel comfortable amidst strangers, much less had face-to-face conversations in any group, until only a few years ago.) I’ve also been hosting a weekly online hoarding group session for a couple of years.

Fortunately, she also happens to be familiar with traditional medicines of indigenous Americans, in the context of genuine scientific research on psychotropic drugs, which may open up new avenues for me. I really need to speed up my progress on overcoming this last, debilitating mental health issue. (It will be my first experience with psychic drugs other than cannabis and prozac.)

jakelafort
    Participant

Pope, congrats on your progress.

I would like to know how the psychotropic drugs affect you. Had only read about those for PTSD and depression.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.