Computer tech question, possibly dumb.

Homepage Forums Small Talk Computer tech question, possibly dumb.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

My current camera came with a USB cable that is 3.0 for the camera and 2.0 for whatever I attach it to, presumably my computer. So, I’m wondering what advantage is there to having a more sophisticated and presumably quicker connection at the camera end if it’s going into a 2.0 socket in my computer.

Is this a dumb question?

_Robert_
    Participant

My current camera came with a USB cable that is 3.0 for the camera and 2.0 for whatever I attach it to, presumably my computer. So, I’m wondering what advantage is there to having a more sophisticated and presumably quicker connection at the camera end if it’s going into a 2.0 socket in my computer. Is this a dumb question?

USB 3.0 ports are completely backward compatible with 2.0 but if both devices are 3.0 you can transfer faster on longer cables and provide more power  ( juice ) to power up the more demanding devices that don’t have their own supply brick.

Unseen
    Participant

My current camera came with a USB cable that is 3.0 for the camera and 2.0 for whatever I attach it to, presumably my computer. So, I’m wondering what advantage is there to having a more sophisticated and presumably quicker connection at the camera end if it’s going into a 2.0 socket in my computer. Is this a dumb question?

USB 3.0 ports are completely backward compatible with 2.0 but if both devices are 3.0 you can transfer faster on longer cables and provide more power ( juice ) to power up the more demanding devices that don’t have their own supply brick.

I understood the backward compatibility thing already, but I think you confirmed my thinking which is that, despite having 3.0 at the camera end, it’s the 2.0 socket in my computer that sets the transfer rate. So, no advantage whatsoever to me for having a cable with a 3.0 connection on just one end. Only if I were to have a computer with a 3.0 socket and a cable with 3.0 on both ends would I enjoy the full available speed.

Correct, there is no advantage if only one connector is USB 3 (blue color). A case of the army marching at the pace of the slowest soldier. It might be worth putting the camera SD card directly into a USB 2 (or 3.0) reader and connecting it directly to the computer. This would speed things up a little especially if you are using Photoshop to edit RAW files.

PopeBeanie

I had 3.1 devices plugged into 2.0 ports and don’t feel like I overpaid for the 3.1, as it came in handy later when I installed a USB 3 card in a computer slot to speed up transfers. Another bonus with the new card was that it also charges some devices faster. But if it’s just (say) a webcam you’re plugging in, you’ll rarely see any difference. (Although some pros use a hi res camera as a webcam, which is where USB 3 would make a difference.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.