CONSCIOUSNESS: THE TRUE MYSTERY

Homepage Forums Science CONSCIOUSNESS: THE TRUE MYSTERY

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Davis

Wow Unseen, so you claim to know that there is nothing more to the universe and everything than your own mind? How on Earth do you know that?

Unseen
    Participant

Wow Unseen, so you claim to know that there is nothing more to the universe and everything than your own mind? How on Earth do you know that?

So, now expressions of ignorance have, according to you, become knowledge claims. Think for a minute, Davis. The point you’re seemingly trying to make equates knowledge with ignorance. Unconfuse us.

How is “I don’t know X” a knowledge claim instead of an expression of uncertainty, for example?

If you go through the submitted Closer To Truth vids, you’ll find important living philosophers, physicists, social scientists, and other experts wondering about the same things.

Davis

d

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Davis.

Davis

I clearly said we cannot know about solipsism. I admit it. However the fantastical idea that suddenly “poof” your mind is the only thing that exists and some how you’ve ended up in a fantastical universe (likely created or at least imagined up by yourself) where you are the only person with agency and yet have forgotten how to (or some how incredibly cannot) control the rules of this world and cannot avoid suffering and have concocted a story of birth progressing through an absurd life on a rock in an empty universe…requires evidence. “We cannot be sure” is not evidence. We cannot be sure there is an afterlife, we cannot be sure we are in a simulation. It is one thing to say “we cannot be sure” it is another to seriously entertain something that elaborately fantastical.

Unseen
    Participant

Davis, I’m not discussing anything I invented here. The videos I provided and the one Glen D provided, too, demonstrate that this is a lively topic taken seriously not just by philosophers, but by scientists at the top of their game in many fields.

I don’t get your anger. I don’t get it at all

Maybe it’s time for a time out, eh?

Unseen
    Participant

What would it be like if you were a bodyless consciousness? If your consciousness can see something, wouldn’t it have to be from a certain location? So, your bodyless eyeless body would be “seeing from a particular location.” Would that mean that you have invisible presumably mass-less eyes. Is the rest of your body there? If so, does it feel a draft if there is one? How?

How would this apply to the notion of people floating above their unconscious or dying body and seeing things? The so-called “out-of-body-experience” (OBE)

Years ago, I read an article about a researcher who was allowed to run an experiment in a hospital where he put up a shelf above the beds that could be seen by anyone floating above the scene. On the shelf was something that should be easy to remember (I can’t remember if it was a word, a phrase or a physical object). None of the few who reported the OBE remembered seeing the shelf.

At the same time the OBE is so real it can be studied and not just studied but induced:

First Out-of-body Experience Induced In Laboratory Setting

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Unseen.

Davis

Yes unseen and hundreds of philosophers take God’s existence seriously and pontificate about absurd questions on it. Hundreds of post-modern philosophers babble about incomprehensible rubbish. It is one thing to consider a solipsistic reality as a thought experiment or a bizarre and absurd possibility. We all have. I am not in the slightest angry. Why would I be? I’m simply stunned you’re one of the solipsism people. Yikes.

jakelafort
    Participant

The vid linked by Glen is interesting. The Ted speaker demonstrates just how biological our consciousness is. In fact he doubts whether AI can become conscious since it is not biological. The brain makes predictions and we see and feel based upon those predictions. Often our constructs are way the fuck off but feel just as real as our normal reality.

Sensory deprivation experiments give the subjects immense oh shits. That is not surprising. We need stimulus. Many people who are without phones or books or tv or companionship for a wee dockin dora are all dafuq’ed up. But it is even worse when we can’t see of FEEL anything!

It makes me think AI will have a pure consciousness without the neuroses and streams of consciousness and plasticity and pathology and…

And if they’re kindly disposed towards us they will give us the ideal friend, family and lover. So what if it is more AI if it is our ideal partners?

Unseen
    Participant

Yes unseen and hundreds of philosophers take God’s existence seriously and pontificate about absurd questions on it. Hundreds of post-modern philosophers babble about incomprehensible rubbish. It is one thing to consider a solipsistic reality as a thought experiment or a bizarre and absurd possibility. We all have. I am not in the slightest angry. Why would I be? I’m simply stunned you’re one of the solipsism people. Yikes.

Enough with the philosophical name calling. Am I treating you as if you are just something that exists only in my consciousness? Clearly not Were I to be a solipsist, why would I bother posting and interacting with you and the others?

Your claim must make sense to you, but I can’t say it make much sense beyond that.

This all goes back to the fact that I stand firm on no free will, right? That really really gets under your skin, doesn’t it? Well, I can’t help it (for deterministic reasons). LOL

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.