Ethics prof argues vaccine mandates are unethical. Is she right?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Ethics prof argues vaccine mandates are unethical. Is she right?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

jakelafort
    Participant

I am glad she was fired. Viscerally, she makes me puke. But that is just a gut reaction cuz i find her sanctimonious.

Her employer is within its rights to require the vaccine. There is a balancing of interests that suggests it is perfectly
    acceptable to impose a mandate. She can feel all warm and fuzzy with her brave stand for her autonomy over her body. She can look the other way for whatever small part she may have in influencing acolytes who may infect others and allow the virus to mutate. Meanwhile since too many are not doing it voluntarily the government and private employers can mandate it as a condition of employment. Ya know like a dress code, a code of behavior and a submission of one’s body to a vaccine to serve the greater interests of society.

Unseen
    Participant

I am glad she was fired. Viscerally, she makes me puke. But that is just a gut reaction cuz i find her sanctimonious. Her employer is within its rights to require the vaccine. There is a balancing of interests that suggests it is perfectly acceptable to impose a mandate. She can feel all warm and fuzzy with her brave stand for her autonomy over her body. She can look the other way for whatever small part she may have in influencing acolytes who may infect others and allow the virus to mutate. Meanwhile since too many are not doing it voluntarily the government and private employers can mandate it as a condition of employment. Ya know like a dress code, a code of behavior and a submission of one’s body to a vaccine to serve the greater interests of society.

Sorry to tell you this, Jake, but rather than being fired, she’s now among those being paid not to work. She’s on paid leave.

From the same article: On the University’s website under academic objectives, Huron University strongly encourages “critical thinking through excellent teaching and research”.  But it appears critical thinking may have landed a university ethics professor in a career ending dilemma. Dr. Julie Ponesse has been teaching Ethics at Huron for 20 years.  Dr. Ponesse says the University of Western Ontario has barred her from campus and put her on temporary paid leave for taking an ethical stance against the University’s vaccine policy.

Davis

Ridiculous human being. The University is facing no loss there. Imagine a chemistry science professor refused to wear new almost certainly safe protective gear and was ever so slightly careless with their equipment which put other students at a slight risk of getting hurt and then went: awe, the university is coercing me into using safety gear that isn’t 100% proven to work and is complaining that the students have a slight chance of getting hurt by the way I do things. It is wrong for them to coerce me into doing things the way they want me to. It is my body and I will put the gloves and mask on if I want and I will do whatever the shit I want fuck you very much in my class and with my jerb.

Entitlement and the lunacy of “it’s my right” mixed with irrational fear of recently developed vaccines = someone who shouldn’t be responsible for teaching young minds.

Stupid human being. The university is a less absurd institution without her.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Davis.

Unseen
    Participant

‘I wouldn’t pass her in my ethics class’: Medical ethicist pans London professor who spoke against vaccine mandates at PPC rally.

From that article: “I think she is flat out wrong and it’s not just a difference in opinion about morals, some of her facts are just incorrect,” said Arthur Caplan, the founding director of the Division of Medical Ethics at New York University Langone Medical Center. “She’s impugning the vaccine, calling it experimental, those are just not true assertions.”

The vaccines approved by Health Canada are both safe and effective at preventing illness from COVID-19. This has been proven in extensive clinical trials before the vaccines were available in Canada.

Caplan said it’s Ponesse’s skewed facts that led her to the wrong ethical conclusions.

“It is well established in Canada and the U.S. that employers can set whatever safety standards they wish as long as they are not inconsistent with basic public health,” Caplan said. “There’s this notion that you can’t tell me what to put in my body. That’s true, I can’t make you do it, but I don’t have to employ you.”

jakelafort
    Participant

Paid leave as a reward for her stance. Great.

I am on board with the New Hampshire…live free or die. If you are not willing to wear a seat belt and you are jeopardizing your life or taking a greater risk of injury or death i suppose that is your business. It is a more legit freedom issue. The contrary position might involve the cost to society of being reckless. But on balance it is a reasonable stance to refuse to wear a seat belt.

The crisis of a multi millions of deaths pandemic with no end in sight and evolution doing a little dance before our eyes against the backdrop of a comparatively minor imposition of vaccines, masks and distancing is not analogous. Turning this into a putative freedom issue is only giving license to antivaxxer wack jobs. I am sure a lot of the purported freedom does not extend to women in deciding on abortion in the minds of the don’t tread on me or make me take a vaccine.

I can’t deny there is an unknown element of long term vaccination for covid. But that is also true of long term after exposure to covid. We know chicken pox causes shingles. And the bottom line is the thing that libertarians ignore. We are in this shit together. Ya can’t look at the freedom to do or not do as being a strictly personal issue. Your individual choice has consequences for all of us.

_Robert_
    Participant

I am glad my grandparents and parents were not so “smart”. Just imagine the scope and devastation that would have resulted from the combination of air travel and polio/smallpox.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.