Help me here because our future depends on it

Homepage Forums Science Help me here because our future depends on it

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jody Lee 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Hmm…I don’t think it’s going to work. Any advice on how to send a PDF?

Hard to say without the original pdf link, which should have “.pdf” at the end.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: It's moot now, but for the future, I added a tip about posting file links: https://atheistzone.com/groups/tips/forum/topic/adding-photos-and-videos-to-a-post/#post-2345

Unseen
    Participant

Jody Lee
    Participant

Yes! That one. 😊 Thanks guys.

Ivy
    Participant

The thing about hemp is it requires soil…

we are depleting our soil faster than ever and that’s an equally difficult issue. Do you use the good soil to grow hemp or grow food?

Conudrum.

Jody Lee
    Participant

Cool thing about hemp is it is also capable of phytoremediation…so we could use it to help clean up the toxins is the soil.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4235884/

Hemp can also be used in housing construction which huffing and puffing won’t blow down.

PopeBeanie

Issues of carbon release (CO2) can get complicated or at least require some attention paid to trade-offs, e.g. rarely do I see a breakdown of electric vs liquid fueled vehicle trade-offs. The electricity, after all, has to be produced, too.

So the question becomes which aspects of each technology rely on renewable/sustainable resources. True, hemp is renewable and overall is a good “carbon sink” because the carbon stays locked up in cellulose and other fiber. But as Ivy alludes to, practically all crops draw nutrients from the soil they grow in.

Seems to me that nuclear energy holds the most promise, but even then, consider this: Nuclear energy releases heat into our water and air, so assuming one day our nuclear-derived power becomes practically dollar-free and carbon-neutral, we’ll still be adding heat to the planet.

I.e. any “solution” should be considered a temporary workaround, but still, if we’re going to keep harnessing and producing energy, we need to keep improving on the temporary workarounds. (In fact even the technology of harnessing hydroelectric, ocean wave, and wind energy can disrupt the earth’s natural flow of thermal energy.)

Meanwhile, to be clear, I vote for hemp as a relatively positive (even if temporary) solution. But that’s not all. Arctic tundra is thawing and releasing methane, a much higher risk than CO2 to “short term” climate change (which then speeds up runaway methane/CO2 releases).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: added "carbon-neutral" and "than CO2"

Jody Lee
    Participant

All we can really do is make effort to reduce our own footprint, encourage  others to do the same and advocate for the solutions we’re behind.

Unseen
    Participant

The thing about hemp is it requires soil… we are depleting our soil faster than ever and that’s an equally difficult issue. Do you use the good soil to grow hemp or grow food? Conudrum.

Clearly, our species is on the way out.

Ivy
    Participant

@unseen

There was still a sliver of hope a couple of years ago… But now, with Trump’s policies, and the fact that he is a climate change denier, It’s too late. I’m really hoping that somebody will win the presidency who really “gets it” in 2020….But it’s not looking like that’s going to happen.

The US and China are the two biggest culprits, and the two countries who could really make a difference in carbon emissions for the entire planet. But we’re not doing jack shit we’re actually going backwards now….That’s why I say yeah, we’re fucked.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Ivy.

_Robert_
    Participant

@unseen

There was still a sliver of hope a couple of years ago…

Agreed. We are a like parasites that kills their host. Since the sun will eventually fry the earth there is a clock ticking and the only way to survive that is space travel to a similar planet. I doubt that will ever materialize as a real problem. We will go the route of the dinosaur way before that. We have so drastically altered this planet in a geological millisecond. I can look back on my life of relatively high consumption, however I did not contribute to the population. As we hit the limit, resources are depleted and people start suffering on a scale yet unknown; people will have less offspring. Some sort of crazy plague may arise to knock the population down such that our tenure goes on a bit longer. Perhaps a nuclear war. Imagine a 50% or 75% death rate. Wow.  We seem to be too tribal and irrational to work together as a unit. It will probably take some horrible cataclysmic events to prolong our survival. Maybe a series of them, Yikes !!

The other way is clean renewable energy. That is the only way to avoid the horror. And we elected Trump/ Yikes again!

Ivy
    Participant

@robert

We will peak at about 9 billion and then rapidly decline from there…

I give our species 50 years tops

Hans Rosling on population growth.

Jody Lee
    Participant

“The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.”

– Idiocracy = Benchmark

Or so it seems.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.