Is it becoming time to beat protesters' heads?

Homepage Forums Politics Is it becoming time to beat protesters' heads?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

In my current city (of over 45 years) Portland, it looks like protests over George Floyd will go on daily seemingly forever. The problem is that the type of protester has evolved from someone just marching in support of George Floyd and defunding police to someone who defaces public property, loots, and harasses police just short of murder.

It’s become a shit show and the police are told to exercise restraint as protesters seem determined to drive them into some sort of over-the-line but quite-understandable violent response, in order to give the protesters more evidence that police are terrible human beings.

It’s not just the trashing of the city and the diversion of police resources to guarding public buildings, thus taking them away from their usual duties of patrolling, responding to calls, and so on. No, it’s also that in a time when the city’s tax base has all but disappeared, handling these protests is on its way to bankrupting the city.

Is it time to “release the Kraken”?

I’m sure the problem is much the same in other cities.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

Where have all of the moderates gone? Long gone every one.

I was until recently leery of Trump and his political allies and cultist followers. But now? The progressive movement has run amok and begun to chuck its muck in my back yard, my back yard.

Maybe we are special creation. Special Fuck Ups. Bring on the AI!

You heard me. Do it now.

Unseen
    Participant

Where have all of the moderates gone? Long gone every one.

That’s my point, actually. The moderate protester, who wanted to take a stand and make a point, has essentially gone home, leaving the field to people intent on doing harm and causing trouble. The thing is, if the city cracks down we’ll be hearing about police brutality and the ACLU will go to court for an injunction and blady-blady-blady-blah.

Hopefully, the real protesters who want to effect change peacefully will move on or are moving or have moved on to registering their opinions in more constructive ways.

The status quo simply can’t go on interminably. The city is running out of resources as it is.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

These people can no longer be called protesters. They are vandals. The police need to arrest them. There is no need to kill them. Arrest them with the appropriate force needed. Record everything.  The longer it takes the police to reclaim the streets the worse the situation will get. I am oversimplifying the solution?

jakelafort
    Participant

How best to gauge and assuage the rage? Seemingly reasonable is the response to meet in kind rather than launch into the typical over response. Incendiary though it may be announce in advance your policy.

The powers that be will implement reforms, just wait and see. Remember quid pro quo? Unlike the president who did it fraudulently we have a deal, you can count on me. Remove your asses from the streets or thugishness meets thugishness and you will have to flee; oh and forget about us implementing those policies.

Since writing the above I have discovered that federal officers are in Portland but the mayor, Ted Wheeler, is not keen on having them there given their propensity for violence.

jakelafort
    Participant

Ya can’t make this shit up. Ever since the emergence of Trump it has been bad fiction.

Bring on AI!

Unseen
    Participant

Among the observations a black police officer made is that nowadays, virtually all of the “protesters” are white college-age kids. There are actually more POC among the cops than among the protesters.

_Robert_
    Participant

I agree w/Jake. Sergeant, we have crossed some strange boundary here. Things have taken a turn for the surreal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.