Let's talk about abortion

Homepage Forums Small Talk Let's talk about abortion

This topic contains 42 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@belen – what kind of propaganda do you mean?

jakelafort
    Participant

Chimps, our close relatives are in need of some manners also.  Males drag females away from troop and rape.  So it is innate, cultural or a combination?

jakelafort
    Participant

Manners is too effete a characterization.  I guess control or decency.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

It has to be innate, but it’s still rape, whether you’re a chimpanzee or a human.  Worse than that is infanticide within chimpanzee groups, so the females with young infants have to hang out on their own away from the group and males who (presumably) want to replace her present child with their own.

It’s also cultural of course.  Culturally it’s part and parcel of the patriarchy.  So that makes it as much a matter of power, control and domination as breeding.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I read somewhere, and understand that, as a rule in the animal kingdom, “females control the rate of courtship”, and so rape runs counter to that.

If you think about it, that fact may explain a lot.

jakelafort
    Participant

Ok Simon, astute, which is ta say yaar playing some goddamn ball!

_Robert_
    Participant

Well I see plenty of gender-fluid snowflakes carrying anti-trump signs around the local colleges, but I don’t recall seeing any of them down at the church where I go to vote. Plenty of khaki-wearing, god-fearing folks down there. I’ll do my part to keep the options open again, but the ones that have to most to loose must always be busy with their drum circles when the polls are open.

Oh and yes I do believe that generalizations are usually statistically correct. Bayes’ theory is fascinating and many examples to help one understand this view of probability have something to do with voting habits and affiliation.

Participant

@robert voting habits and trends are actually more closely related to personality traits than anything else….

_Robert_
    Participant

Bellen,

I remember you called the election really early and at one time I was even considering voting for Putin’s BFF. I was disillusioned with the left and still am. I came to my senses and even talked sense into a few others. My concern is that he is intoxicating. People love to watch a car wreck.

Participant

@robert like I said from the beginning he know exactly what the fuck he’s doing and he’s dangerous and he is only just getting started. It’s too late. The damage has been done. There is no going back. Don’t kid yourself. That’s for real. Mark my words we are headed for WW3 it’s just a matter of time. Remember my prediction on that one because it is becoming more and more real. Most people are in denial about that but we are at the breaking point.

Participant

That’s my aside rant but I still believe it with all my heart. No one sees how Kim Jong Un and Bladimir Putin have PLAYED us. We are too stupid to see it…

jakelafort
    Participant

Belen, there is nothing outrageous about your prediction.  In fact if we only extrapolate the past we see how likely it is.  Man has weapon.  Man uses weapon.  Wars have increased in scale.  The 3o years war of the 17th century is sometimes viewed as the first world war although it was missing many parties. But now the world has gotten so much smaller for us. Our technology of death has bloomed like a blooming onion on steroids that are on steroids.  We have 1.8 billion muslims or so whose views are degenerate.  Throw in lots of other religious nuts and patriotic nuts and the ever popular nativism and tribalism for good measure; oh and lets not lose sight of the global terrorism and the careless sales of weapons of mass destruction. And then lets examine the evolution of government. Did we learn anything from Europe’s history of despotism? No. And the american experiment had some nice calculus but the seeds of time have blossomed to cause our democracy to be undemocratic and was flawed from the beginning, now throw in a dumb fucking electorate and where are we?

It is more apropos to ask what is going to prevent it!

Davis
    Participant

I and none of my girlfriends have ever experienced anything like this. Ever!

One of my friends says she has never been discriminated against nor faced disgusting behavior. She finds it astonishing that there is still systemic discrimination in hiring practices and promotions and has been extremely shocked by the scale of the #metoo revelations. What I mean is, she’s either been clueless or extremely fortunate…but she isn’t a denier. After reading countless research papers that undeniably prove bias against women in hiring and highly disproportionate salaries and women systemically passed up for promotions and a meta study on the rate of sexual abuse, she was shocked, horrified and counted herself extremely lucky. For every one woman like her, there are others who remain deniers…despite having concrete evidence that says “YES”.

Strega

You cannot ban abortion. You can only ban safe, legal professional abortions.  Women will continue to have abortions, with tools like wire coat hangers or other winceworthy items, they will get septicemia, some will die.  All the legislation is about is when to permit safe abortions.  I think it’s weird that so few women are involved at the decision making level of this.

Participant

I disagree Strega there’s many women fighting this battle, but the problem is that the only people with any authority on the issue ultimately is the Supreme Court. That is why Republicans are shriveling into a corner and allowing Trump to run whatever agenda he damn well pleases and they are standing by because all they care about is getting someone on the Supreme Court who will ban abortion. That is literally ALL they care about.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.