Lonely Road

Homepage Forums Advice Lonely Road

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Participant

I’ve had to start homeschooling my son. Not because I wanted to be a homeschool parent, but out of necessity…long story. Anyway. I’ve been looking for groups and resources to get in with some groups but it seems they’re all tied to religions, or at least most of them are, and the ones that aren’t don’t really fit what I need for him. They’re super structured and highly academic…

Anyone ANYWHERE in the WORLD reading this know of a good place to be single homeschooling mom that is also trying not to fall into a group with religious nutjobs just to have some semblance of normal healthy community? Thank you!!!

jakelafort
    Participant

Vermont.

Apart from its beauty it seems like people are friendly without being intrusive.  Higher percentage of atheists. Fewer religious nuts. Some of the towns have coops.  Great place for a kid or anybody to be outside and enjoy the great outdoors.

On the negative side it is a mostly white state.  Not much industry so it might be tough to find work.  But if you are in trouble i think they have social services better n most states.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I would choose a small town that you like the look of, not a big city.  I live in a small-ish town (33,600) and there is a strong community feel here.  Also, everyone is tolerated as long as they are OK.  When I was having problems it was handled very well at a community level with a media blackout.  There’s a guy who hulks up and down my road wearing a dress, I wish he could learn to walk more like Lady Di.

Also, be prepared that the town might NOT have a good culture, because sometimes you get a concentration of horrible people (like in the next town to mine, of roughly similar size).

See if you can find somewhere hippyish, you get all sorts there.  My town was founded by 1903 hippy types.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Check out this show on Netflix – Summer Heights High, I can get it on Youtube.

Participant

@jakelafort what part of Vermont to you recommend? I’m going to PM you

jakelafort
    Participant

Bellen it takes me a little over an hour to get to border of Vermont.  I usually go there half dozen times a year at a minimum.

In the southern part of Vermont is a town known as Putney.  I really like it there.  There is a coop and community gardens. There are a few good restaurants.  There is also a great big orchard with apples, peaches, blue berries etc where you can pick.  Sometimes i just park and walk down the dirt roads.   It is always cool going there.  I recommend Putney.

@simon, I may have driven past you over the years as I often drove from Enfield, North London to Kempston in Bedford to visit people. I would go via M25 and A1 rather than M1. I agree, it is a good place to live.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer – that’s cool!  Yes, we’re on the A1/M and it’s a great place to live.  Bellen would love it here.

@belen – you might find this useful, written in conjunction with a medical doctor and a Buddhist monk.

Unseen
    Participant

They’re super structured and highly academic…

Which is bad? Structured how? Academic…in what way(s)?

Participant

@unseen structured and academic isn’t “bad” but it’s not going to be the type of learning environment that works for him right now.

Participant

@simon maybe I’ll go there and become a burlesque dancer with my friend lol that would be amazing

@jakelafort I will check out VT for sure, I know it’s been a place I’ve considered for a very  long time.

jakelafort
    Participant

Oh yeah Bellen, i forgot to mention something that is peculiar about VT.

I don’t know how many times i have opened the door upon reaching destination in Vermont and say…wtf, so that is what good air is like.

Participant

@jakelafort so why don’t you live there? lol

Participant

WOW! Jakelafort you’re absolutely right! The schools they have in Putney are EXACTLY what I need! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

jakelafort
    Participant

Yeah i have noticed private and public schools in Putney.  Happy kids running around.  I get the feeling that the private shcools are really terrific.  Out in the woods. All kinds of fun outdoor and learning experiences.

Maybe some day i will live there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.