Moral Choice 2

Homepage Forums Small Talk Moral Choice 2

This topic contains 32 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  David Boots 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Strega

The reason women can have abortions was laid out in Roe v Wade in the Supreme Court in 1973 – it has to do with autonomy over ones own body.  It has nothing to do with rape – rape was cited as an extreme circumstance wherein those people who object to a woman having an abortion might find some grey area to agree.  I still find it astonishing that America has such an issue with OTHER PEOPLE having abortions.

The example Belle cited, of a woman secretly not taking her contraceptive pill in order to get pregnant agains her partners wishes, is probably the closest parallel to the case you are describing – IVF has just modernized the activity.

Once the man handed his sperm over to the IVF bank, with a designate purpose, he pretty much lost control over it.  Yes sure there was fraud, but you can’t send the baby back to the sperm bank – it exists.  I think the woman acted in an illegal and wrongful way, and it’s a tough price that would be laid on the father regarding child support, but what alternative is there?  You know the state is never going to offer to pay, so…. what are you suggesting?  Who finances the child?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What does he want to do with the baby – put it back?  Enough already, get over it, or don’t

David Boots
    Participant

I suggest the obligations flowing from being a parent go further than just the economic costs. But sticking with the economic consequences for a moment. In some jurisdictions a parent is liable for the negligent actions of a child. Let us say the child turns out to be a pyromaniac. At age 14 he burns down a factory worth say $8 million dollars. The insurance company files a suit against the parents. Should the father be made to pay?

A few jurisdictions make parents criminally responsible for the actions of their children. Should the father go to jail for the actions of a child he did not consent to or want?

Taking the theft analogy further… is it possible to steal – without sanction – someone’s DNA without their consent and knowledge and apply that DNA for your own purpose. For instance a stranger takes a hair left behind. Or a glass or drinking container you have used. Should they be able to use that DNA to produce a child?

What if I am born with some amazing freakish genetic resistance to a disease. Should a big pharma be allowed to steal my DNA and use it?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  David Boots.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.