My new book: Deciphering the Gospels Proves Jesus Never Existed

Homepage Forums Theism My new book: Deciphering the Gospels Proves Jesus Never Existed

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Clearsky 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

rationalrevolution
    Participant

I just published my first book. The book just came out last week. I’m in the process of sending out copies for review. I won’t discuss all the people I’m working with on reviewing and promoting the book, but its most of the big names in the field.

What sets my book apart is the research I put into identifying literary references within the Gospel of Mark and how those references relate to the other Gospels. I identified dozens of new literary references within the Gospel of Mark that had not been recognized by prior biblical scholars.

The basic thesis of the book is that the idea that Jesus was a real person originated from the writing that is now called the Gospel of Mark, but the Gospel of Mark was written as a fictional political allegory in response to the First Jewish-Roman War of 70 CE. The author of that work was not trying to convince people that Jesus was real, in fact the work has many signs of blatant fictionality that the author clearly made quite conspicuous. That the work is entirely fictional is proven by the fact that virtually every scene is a literary allusion to the Jewish scriptures.

These literary allusions were misinterpreted by Greeks and Romans as evidence of prophecy fulfillment. All of the other Gospels, and indeed every single narrative about the life of Jesus, descends from this one original story. The early Christians, however, thought that each of the Gospels were independently written works that corroborated each other. What this analysis shows is that all narratives about Jesus descend from a single original narrative.

Furthermore, whoever wrote the Gospel of Mark had read the letters of Paul, and in fact the “teachings of Jesus” presented in the Gospel of Mark are all actually copies of the teachings of Paul. Paul’s teachings aren’t similar to Jesus’s teachings because Paul learned about his teachings from the community, Jesus’s teachings ARE Paul’s teachings.

The idea that the ancient Jewish scriptures were divinely true comes from the fact that the Greeks and Romans believed that the life and deeds of Jesus had been perfectly predicted by the ancient Jewish scriptures. Of course, what really happened was that the author of the original story just made many literary references to the scriptures, which they interpreted as prophecy fulfillment.

Anyway, it’s a lot to try and sum up in a few paragraphs.

A preview of the book is here: http://www.rationalrevolution.net/pdf/web/viewer.html?file=/pdf/DecipheringTheGospels_Preview.pdf#page=1

It’s on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Deciphering-Gospels-Proves-Jesus-Existed/dp/1483487849/

Earle Sanborn
    Participant

Hey congrats on the book. Writing and publishing a book takes great time, effort and energy.

It’s always fascinating to me how people try their utmost to prove The Son of God either never existed or was just another prophet, etc.

If you, me and a couple other guys followed around someone of note for several years and we each wrote a summary and maybe some details about specific events, peoples and happenings we though were noteworthy, it would be logical that our summaries would be somewhat similar, though different because we are different beings, with free will, free moral agency, and freedom of thought (though that is under attack in the US as I write this).

The Gospel of Mark isn’t the only “book” establishing the existence of Jesus Christ. I find it stunning that in the 21st century this childishness still goes on– the unrealized hatred of God — is exhibited again. I know the reason people hate the thought of Jesus and his existence.

The Jews of that era barely even kept the commandments given to Moses. They burdened people with their own petty teachings and nuances– just like a board of directors at an HOA- they make up what is sighttly and unsightly.

I don’t know of anyone who has tackled the following: Jesus said he’d come again and reestablish the Kingdom of God on Earth. Why would He need to come again? Isn’t the world just perfect?- Everyone honors their father and mother, no one lies in wait and kills anyone else, no one commits adultery; no one lies; no one cheats; no one tells falsehoods/gossips about their neighbors; no one covets anything. Just ask Matt Lauer.

I’ll tackle re-establish the Kingdom of God next time

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@earlesanborn – “the unrealized hatred of God — is exhibited again. I know the reason people hate the thought of Jesus and his existence.

– you’ve got us all wrong.

1. we don’t hate God because we don’t believe in God.  We can’t hate something that we don’t believe exists.
    2. why would we hate the thought of Jesus and his existence?  For what possible reason?  It doesn’t seem to make sense to me, even if we don’t believe he existed.  (which I do.)

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Actually, I can think of a reason why we would “hate the thought of Jesus and his existence” – because if the Jesus stories are true, then it gives weight to the religious cause or viewpoint – the “opposition” for atheists.  I can understand why Christians might feel somewhat attacked by a book like this.  But – say – so what?  It’s just lazy thinking to give the idea any importance in the debate either way.

Davis
    Participant

It’s always fascinating to me how people try their utmost to prove The Son of God either never existed or was just another prophet, etc.

Would someone please do something about this guy? He is repeatedly blabbing the same recycled shit about evolution not being scientific anymore and some religious apologetic and will NOT deal with our responses, challenges and questions to it.

Earle, you do not understand what atheism is. Almost 1 billion atheists in China never even heard of your god. They would have no idea what you are talking about. I asked you yesterday to open your own post to explain the evidence you have for your god. We will take this very seriously if you will show us what it is. I mean it is a very profound matter to be able to demonstrate that your God is real. But you have to be genuine in your efforts. Just posting your opinion about how it makes you feel while not addressing any substantive points we make is not good enough.

Atheism is a lack of belief, not a denial of anything. Why should we believe you if you offer nothing but your opinion?  We do not believe in your god because we do not know what you mean by “god” and we do not see any evidence for any god, not just your one.  Can you explain what you mean by “God” and what evidence to support “Him” being real to you have?

If you want to start a post then please do but only if you will be as objective and reasonable as possible about it….and without quoting the Bible. That is a rare offer to get on this site! You up for it Earle?

@rationalrevolution. Congrats on the book. I have read Richard Carrier’s books and Bart Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus

The books are better than the videos!!

Even Paul who wrote 13 of the 27 NT books only ever met Jesus in a vision!! People have been doubting the existence of Jesus for over 2000 years. The “evidence” is very poor, the similarities to other “man-gods” should raise red flags. The lack of any first hand witness accounts should raise those flags even higher. The lack of understanding Christians have about what languages the “original”  books were written in is interesting. to say the least. I ask them if they were written in Greek, Latin, Hebrew or Aramaic or even English just to hear the variety of answers.

Strega

@davis Son of God sounds just like Bride of Godzilla to me.

Davis
    Participant

@davis Son of God sounds just like Bride of Godzilla to me.

Or maybe Spawn of Gargamel? 😉

rationalrevolution
    Participant

@Reg Yes, and I’ve worked with Carrier on the subject over the years. My book is a significant advancement over current work on the subject as it explains many aspects of the Gospels that had not yet been explained and provides a coherent and documented explanation of how belief in a real Jesus was adopted by the Roman Empire and became the dominant view of the Roman elite.

https://www.amazon.com/Deciphering-Gospels-Proves-Jesus-Existed/dp/1483487830/

I will be purchasing the book soon – as soon as I finish Faith vs Fact by Jerry Coyne. Too many books on the go!!

I can tell you did not write it over a long Easter weekend 🙂 Do you get much hassle from apologists or those that think you are trying to take something away from them? Dan Barker (FFRF) once told me he did when he published “Godless”.

PopeBeanie

the unrealized hatred of God — is exhibited again. I know the reason people hate the thought of Jesus and his existence

That’s your inner troll speaking. It’s the mortal human Bible and Koran writers and thumpers that deserve scorn, even as God the fictional character portrayed as loving, forgiving, yet hateful and vengeful doesn’t exist. No god ever came down and said “Yeah, that’s my word, believe it”.

Jesus was portrayed much more positively, in spite of being a spokesman (if not outrightly a surrogate) for his own, fictional “father”.

These holy books belong to a set of mythological books in the name of patriarchal arrogance… men who have the hatred and bloodlust to force their will on the human race, and call it “divine”.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@earlesanborn – “the unrealized hatred of God — is exhibited again. I know the reason people hate the thought of Jesus and his existence

– you make it sound like people are evil if they don’t believe in God.

Earle Sanborn
    Participant

No Simon and Pope Beanie, I’m not saying people are purposefully evil, or even evil at all.

I have said several times that the words I write in response to things is pretty much never going to change your minds or others. Questions are asked and I try to give a clear, unambiguous answer for discussion. We can all agree that when two guys lie in wait and ambush another and beat him up and steal his wallet- that’s pretty evil right. As far as the cake people. There are so many cake shops why force your ways/views on others. I don’t flaunt my lifestyle- that’s the bullying piece Pope Beanie. Why not go to other cake places and be done with it. It’s clear to me that this is all a show- their 15 seconds of fame. If I believe adultery is always wrong and say so – is that hateful? There are several good reasons for why adultery is wrong- 1. It’s lying to your mate about being faithful. 2. It’s stealing his/her trust. 3. You subject yourself to unknown diseases and perhaps pass them to your mate later – sores, open wounds, etc. 4. When it’s found out and usually always is then the kids are hurt by the impending divorce. 5. It does affect society in a negative way. I think that is quite clear as well.

If there is no absolutes regarding morals (lying, cheating, stealing) then who gets to decide?

The magazine OMNI from the 1970-1980 had a continuum. Now we have 50 shades of grey. At the end of the day- an action taken is not grey: person steals company cash, person damages his ex-lovers car; guy lies to his wife where he was. Just before the guy swings the ax to kill his nemesis he can stop. We are not without minds. King Solomon who most certainly existed and documented in many sources wowed the Queen of Sheba and his fame spread for his wisdom when he heard the case of one woman taking the another woman’s live baby and placed her dead baby with that woman. He looked them in the eyes and said bring the baby and cut it in half. Well, the woman who’s baby it wasn’t said good or approved, while the true mother of the baby cried no- give it to the other woman. King Solomon knew then who the true mother was. This passage says a lot about wisdom, understanding, discretion and can be useful tool in deciding your words and actions today.

Many times it’s said the truth hurts- especially if we are on the receiving end. Ever have to give a performance report to a co-worker? Usually praise them for what they do well; give them some tips on how to do better at other things; then praise them at the end and wish them luck on doing better this year. Constructive criticism is very tough as the person usually focuses on the things he/she needs to change/do better and forgets the boss praised them for other things they do well. We are here 70-80 years if we are lucky and it’s better to live peacefully with all as you can.

Regards Guys, may I say Happy Sabbath – or is that imposing or hateful?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

If there is no absolutes regarding morals (lying, cheating, stealing) then who gets to decide?

– that remains a good question.  This is what I mean by moral legitimacy – is it necessary?

We follow the norms of our moral group (nazis in Hitler’s Germany being the obvious example) and of our own ideals (e.g. resistance fighters or Jew-savers in Hitler’s Germany).

I would say it’s up to the individual, and up to the rest of us to help the individual come to the conclusion that promotes maximum human flourishing (for each person) and minimises suffering.  This has to be the gold ethical standard, the primary value.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.