Partial Victory!!!

Homepage Forums Announcements Partial Victory!!!

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  A. Clemens 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Emma Leigh
    Participant

So, through a report about my worldview that I wrote for school, my mom has found out that I’m not sold on the whole God thing. The way I wrote it, I come off as more of an agnostic Christian than an atheist, but we’re getting there. She hasn’t confronted me about it but I know she read it so, yay! I did it! Kind of.

jakelafort
    Participant

That has to ease your mind…congrats

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

That’s great!

tom sarbeck
    Participant

IME (experience, not opinion), Emma, militant atheists still doubt.

A few months (or weeks or years) of agnosticism may help them erase their doubts and they will have more confidence in their freedom.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  tom sarbeck.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I suppose you’re going to be told that you’re going to hell, for “turning against God”?  That would be annoying.

I don’t believe that a loving God would send people to hell for not believing – period.

The Christian God (the one with the capital “G”) is not a loving god. In Exodus it says he is a jealous god and jealously is a stumbling block to love. A father jealous of his own children?? How unhealthy is that mindset?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I wonder what were the historical reasons for believing that God is a jealous god, at that time.

I think it’s as much to do with group loyalty as anything.

I wonder what were the historical reasons for believing that God is a jealous god, at that time.

At that time people believed in many gods.

Worried about remembering which god to pray to? Then why not consolidate all your beliefs into one super god, called God and let Christianity look after you.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I don’t know, it seems like a bizarre thing to say.  It’s more like, “if you don’t believe in our God, you’re not one of us”.

Clearsky
    Participant

Found this when I did Google search

Deuteronomy 4:23-24
    IDOLATRY FORBIDDEN
    23 “Take heed to yourselves, lest you forget the covenant of the LORD your God which He made with you, f and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of anything which the LORD your God has forbidden you. 24 “For g the LORD your God is a consuming fire, h a jealous God.

Don’t understand it really, if God made everything . Including idols, and he is all powerful and controls everything.

Then it was not those people that made idols. He was the one who controls who makes idols?

Sounds like a “Colorless green ideas sleep furiously” kind of sentence!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Clearsky.

PopeBeanie

I don’t believe that a loving God would send people to hell for not believing – period.

You have my vote!

I think it’s as much to do with group loyalty as anything.

Yes, and projection.

I don’t know, it seems like a bizarre thing to say. It’s more like, “if you don’t believe in our God, you’re not one of us”.

I’ve been binge watching a lot of heathen/pagan Viking drama, spiked liberally with the pious Christian King meme. It’s all about how to divinely justify anger, punishment, and war, and then reinforce that concept of divinity by thanking god(s) when things go your way, and when everyone else is wondering “how the hell did that happen”.

PopeBeanie

Emma, I think you shall win most battles!

Oh, if only the various religious scholars would bring their beliefs to a more scientific, world debate, or at least pretend to work out their differences.

The thing about “religious scholars” is that they all study Theology which was neatly defined by Thomas Paine:

“The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion. Not anything can be studied as a science, without our being in possession of the principles upon which it is founded; and as this is the case with Christian theology, it is therefore the study of nothing.”

jakelafort
    Participant

That is a great quote by Paine.

I wish Harris had used it against Peterson instead of letting him go on with histrionics and irrelevant crap.

Clearsky
    Participant

Hi,

I agree, but what practical advice can people give?

As we live in societies  and families & friends of different beliefs. Atheist,  God believer. Even different beliefs about which God?

If certain members of ones family believe in God. But I do not. Does it entail conflict? Always or can we accept a plurality of values?

Family & friends are important Mum, dad, brother, sister etc for our wellbeing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.