The result of my biopsy is in and…

Homepage Forums Small Talk The result of my biopsy is in and…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

I’m not happy. I’m not happy because it’s not exactly definitive.

My surgeon tried his best to explain the result which the lab deemed “severe dysplasia.” This is defined on one medical website this way: “High grade (severe) dysplasia is usually considered a pre-cancerous condition that can progress to cancer if left untreated.”

He offered me two options: 1) the super cautious option is to perform a second surgery taking out significantly more tissue or 2) to simply keep an eye on it and watch for changes on a regular basis, presumably indefinitely.

My surgeon and I decided that, for now, the second option is reasonable. I may opt for door #1 in future days, though.

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen that is bad news.

Is there medicine, exercise or diet that has the capability of reversing the precancerous condition?

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen that is bad news. Is there medicine, exercise or diet that has the capability of reversing the precancerous condition?

If there is, my surgeon didn’t bring it up. Also, I’m constitutionally leery of “Just eat more carrots”-type folksy treatments for serious medical conditions. I think most of them work, if they do at all, work based on the placebo effect.

I’m a 74 year old diabetic. I’ve been aware for a while now that I won’t be living to my 90’s. I just may now have a glimmer of how I’ll probably be bowing out.

I think option 2 is the better approach for now but would qualify that with defining what the interval of the monitoring on  “a regular basis” is. Then I think you should book the next (say) 6 or 12 dates for the check-ups now.

My accountant is stage 4 for last 3.5 years (and as Hitchens said, there is no stage 5) has managed to get specifically engineered treatment based on his genetics and type of cancer. He ignored his “back pain” for too long before he went to the doctor. He believes if he went when the pain started he would be OK now. He was (in his words) expecting to be dead by now but has not got any worse (or better) since starting the treatment.

I sincerely hope it remains a per-cancerous condition and if constantly monitored it should never became more than that.

My tattoo artist gave me a 50 year guarantee on the tattoo I got for my 55th birthday. So good so far!

jakelafort
    Participant

My guess is better nutrition and exercise will reduce the probability of cancer. Just a guess. I think it is worth discussing with an expert.

With regular monitoring if you discover cancer the prognosis will be better because of early detection. Also i think in general many forms of cancer are less aggressive later in life.

I wish you luck.

Davis

I do not know a single doctor who doesn’t recommend a good diet for improving health and especially serious conditions. After my kidney problems, my diet change really made ALL the difference in my improvement. Myths about super vegetables or super fruits is one thing. But a good diet without eating shit will improve anyone’s health. European hospitals usually offer nutritionists who help you tailor your diet for your condition. I don’t know if Oregon offers them but it is definitely worth taking advantage of the services. There are also reputable websites that give good advice online. You don’t have to radically change your diet or give up everything you like.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

I’m sorry to hear that.

While it is your body and your life and I fully respect that (in all of its implications,) I would say a both/and approach might be good.

Both improve diet, exercise and lifestyle and first chance–if it doesn’t do more harm than good–kill it before it grows.  Cancer can metastasize lightning-fast and spread just so once it hits the lymph glands.

And don’t give up hope regarding diabetes either.  They have portable monitors now that provide continuous readouts of blood sugar levels (albeit, only for Type 1s and those who use insulin.  Perhaps the technology will advance to include both Types.)

And Metformin has done wonderful things for diabetics (living testimonial here) and researchers think additionally, Metformin may be a cancer preventative as well.

Oh, and never forget all the progress made in organ transplantation and organ prostheses in the past Century.  Pancreases may be next on the list of human Lego pieces and with what they can do with stem cells, body parts may one day be just like Doritos  (“Crunch All You Want!  We’ll Make More!”)

Recently, on Disney+, I have been watching the National Geographic series Year Million, which is about advances in technology, life extension, Transhumanism, The Singularity, and all of the social, political, and economic implications,

The program was pointing up the use of micro amounts of Selenium to kill cancer cells and also the possibility of tiny nanobots fighting and killing cancer cells and making repairs to the body one cell at a time from the inside out!  Another possibility the program brought up was splicing out genes that would create cancerous mutations, so they never arise in the first place, both for the current gene owners and their progeny!

In some ways at least, it is a wonderful time to be alive and solving the rest of the problems means showing up…and being there to show up.  And anything worth doing is worth doing forever if you can swing it!

Please keep thinking these good thoughts too and let us all know how you are doing in your struggle.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: A very vital addendum
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Italicizing the program for emphasis

Unseen
    Participant

I think option 2 is the better approach for now but would qualify that with defining what the interval of the monitoring on “a regular basis” is. Then I think you should book the next (say) 6 or 12 dates for the check-ups now. My accountant is stage 4 for last 3.5 years (and as Hitchens said, there is no stage 5) has managed to get specifically engineered treatment based on his genetics and type of cancer. He ignored his “back pain” for too long before he went to the doctor. He believes if he went when the pain started he would be OK now. He was (in his words) expecting to be dead by now but has not got any worse (or better) since starting the treatment. I sincerely hope it remains a per-cancerous condition and if constantly monitored it should never became more than that. My tattoo artist gave me a 50 year guarantee on the tattoo I got for my 55th birthday. So good so far!

My first checkup is to be in 2 months. I will do my best to keep it every 2 or 3 from then on.

The surgeon says I have one major thing going for me: I never smoked t0bacco. Maybe 10 maryjanes in college, but that’s it.

As I said above, I’m a 74 y/o diabetic and probably wouldn’t make it to 90 under any circumstances. If I can hang on till my mid-80’s somehow, it should count as a healthy dose of luck.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

Oh, and never forget all the progress made in organ transplantation and organ prostheses in the past Century.  Pancreases may be next on the list of human Lego pieces and with what they can do with stem cells, body parts may one day be just like Doritos  (“Crunch All You Want!  We’ll Make More!”)

I’m already on the waiting list for a vocal cord transplant. (LOL)

I’m already on the waiting list for a vocal cord transplant. (LOL)

Being Unseen is one thing but we can’t have you Unheard too 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.