UNTESTED

Homepage Forums Politics UNTESTED

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

To practice law, medicine, a host of other professions and even hair cutting the candidate must prove their competence by taking an exam and passing.  Yet political office has no such requirement. Where is the sense in allowing Trumps of the world to gain access to the most significant position in the USA and be utterly unqualified?

A more incongruous and reckless juxtaposition is difficult to envision.  We ought to require standardized tests on germane areas like government, law, domestic and foreign policy,  history etc.  The higher the office the greater the difficulty and breadth of the exam.  Once having passed the exam we ought to have experts in various topics question the candidates for president.  No revealing questions in advance.  Philosopher or ethicist to examine presidential candidates using hypotheticals,  experts in all of the other relevant areas to examine the candidate as to knowledge and problem solving.  This would not only make for great television,  and spur more advanced dialogue but it would allow voters to actually see the candidates.  None of the demagoguery and sloganeering.  Show me what you know and how you think.  How else am i to make an informed decision as to the most worthy candidate?

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Oh they couldn’t possibly do that…….it makes far too much sense!!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Philosopher or ethicist to examine presidential candidates using hypotheticals,

– I think that it would be very easy for a fake to imagine or be coached in the right answers to hypotheticals.  All they have to know is “helping in response to need”, and a narcissist knows full well what people’s needs are, which is why they are so good at exploiting them.

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Yes, they are able to play into getting whatever they want.

Davis
    Participant

Remember when George Bush Jr as president seemed like the election of a know-nothing idiot who made unethical decisions riding on the coat-tails of his father and screwed up much of what he did? Well despite his disasters, people voted him in a second time. And then come one day, an utter scumbucket of the highest level of assholetry is elected. The people are addicted to political disaster. Nothing else matters. A disaster candidate who trashtalks uninterrupted for an hour to howling standing ovations…is clearly what the people wanted. And a disaster is what they’re getting. And judging by his approval ratings…they are quite content with the disaster they’ve got.

Davis
    Participant

In the USA, city of Toronto, Russia, New-South-Wales, they clearly have no problem voting in a obviously undeniable immoral person. In a few European senates, to be eligible you have to have been elected twice as a member of parliament or assembly…preferably in two different jurisdictions or levels. This is an extremely intelligent decision…for many reasons. The cabinet and president/prime-minister should be the same. If it ends up being a highly immoral candidate, yet who has been elected twice in different places and gets elected again at a national level…then clearly people want an unethical asshole. I don’t see any reason why they should be deprived of the political disaster they voted for.

jakelafort
    Participant

But Davis he did not win the popular vote. Furthermore he was assisted by Russians. So many Americans were horrified and literally sick over him winning. If we were to impose a test there is no way he would pass it.  He brags about never having read a book.  He took a science quiz that has been taken by other candidates for prez and scored the lowest.

In any event there is no sound basis for giving the job to an unqualified candidate.  We don’t let nonlawyers and nondoctors practice law and medicine to protect potential victims.  That sound rationale ought to be magnified thousands or tens of thousands over when we contemplate the potential for harm on a scale not only  to Americans but people the world over-and the environment.  I would not get in a plane if i knew the pilot did not have a license but we are all stuck with Trump.  It is insanity.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

But in a democracy, the only necessary qualification is “the people like you”.  So if someone wins an election, it’s because more people like them than anyone else, and they get in to office.

jakelafort
    Participant

Yes Simon and in a theocracy or dictatorship the only qualification is power. Democracy is its antithesis or at least that is the idea.  But democracy has a shelf life and it is decaying in the USA.   I have simply adduced a modest proposal to ameliorate democracy.

Permitting a candidate to proceed in a political race without first demonstrating competence is folly. The greater the responsibility of the actor the greater the impetus to filter out the unqualified.  Giving the most significant and impactful positions to the unqualified is in praise of folly.

Once they have passed the entrance exams the real fun begins.  Lets see if the candidates have the nerve to withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous bombardment during critical examination.  Will blowhards like Trump be willing to  have his orange hairpiece blown askew as he drowns in a self-made puddle of his own body fluids? Can a mega-narcissist manage to absorb the ignominy of being undressed in front of millions?  Will half-wit politicians willingly subject themselves to such scrutiny and resultant shame?

So yes the chaff is discarded and the electorate is left to decide who among the candidates is electable.  Popularity is an unavoidable aspect of elections. However it can be taken down a notch when meritorious candidates are left standing and meretricious conduct is discouraged.  What am i talking about?  Imagine if Trump somehow passes the initial competence exam but his campaign is otherwise identical. During his exam his conduct will come into question and so will his sloganeering. The philosopher/ethicist will question him on LETS MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.  What period of American history are you referring to? Are you telling the American people that pre-civil rights and Jim Crow blah blah…were indications of greatness?  No, then identify exactly what was great about the era you reference?  This sort of questioning will expose just how vapid he is.  In so doing other candidates will be discouraged from shameless and misleading sloganeering.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

But I think the problem is, people just don’t care about that stuff.  They all knew who Trump was from the outset, but he still got in.  He failed every one of those kinds of tests over and over again, but it didn’t make a blind bit of difference.  There must be other reasons why he got in.

Personally I think it’s because the Left has forgotten about the working class.

Davis
    Participant

But Davis he did not win the popular vote.

Yes. Electoral reform is more important in this case. Though good luck changing anything in the US where most people have a strong incentive not to…and thats not even considering the outrageous gerrymandering that goes on. And the UK and Canada are no different. Them and the US are the only western democratic countries to not have proportional representation. That’s how Trudeau got his absolute majorities in Canada and the last five Prime Ministers of the UK (minus May) all with less than 40% of the vote. They are the prehistoric holdouts. It also encourages few meaningful parties (only 6 in the UK and Canada and only 2!!! in the US). I think the most important change of all begins there.

jakelafort
    Participant

You said it was a popularity contest. My proposal would have excluded Trump in the first instance. Ya can’t run if you cant pass the exam.  But if Trump had passed and  been subject to interrogation/examination by experts in their field including the ethicist/philosopher then he would be discredited, embarrassed,  disgraced.  A man running for president after such a debacle has no path to sustain his or her course.  Trump bluster will look as phony as it possibly can.  Lets see who believes a pontificator know-it-all after being exposed gin n again.  On other hand if Trump comes clean and admits implicitly or explicitly that he has no clothes he loses credibility. For those with an authoritarian leaning they need Trump to be Trump.  He gesticulates and appears like Mussolini once was.  A disgraced Trump no longer sells in the same numbers. Not close.

But i think you are right that the democrats need to change their message.

Davis
    Participant

Furthermore he was assisted by Russians.

That may be true…but he has an approval rating of 45%. That is, for me, the most shocking thing of all. Despite hiring criminals and idiots and firing them as well as good cabinet members, his hard core bromance with Putin, his deplorable position on family separation, inability to get the wall up, inability to mass deport illegals, disaster with international trade, inability to end Obamacare and the western world utterly despising him and working towards a new world where America is irrelevant…he has a 45% approval rating. No amount of Russian hackers or ridiculous fox news…can explain 45% approval. His only triumphs are giving his friends obscene tax cuts and workers a tiny limited one, shaking hands with North Koreas leader (who has since started acting up again) and appointing two people to the Supreme court…all things any idiot could do. They want a scumbucket who talks trash and doesn’t deliver on his promises…even religious prudes approve. There really is truth to the cliché phrase people keep repeating. Trump is America.

jakelafort
    Participant

Yeah Davis,  US needs various reforms.  Get special interests dafuq out of gov.  It is an anti’decomcratic influence. Yes on proportional representation.  But competence is critical in every field and i cant remember anybody else saying what i am saying.  It truly is a modest proposal that a majority of Americans would support (rrr i think they would)

A long time ago i used to get in arguments about legalization of marijuana.  The pro-legalization side is such a no- brainer.  But to the war against drugs side it seemed radical.  Now it is supported by the majority of Americans.  Things can change.

jakelafort
    Participant

According to the latest poll his approval rating sunk to 38 percent (if memory serves but definitely down)  after his meeting in Helsinki with Putin.  That btw supports my take on how Trump loses credibility when he can’t pull off his bluster.

But i support your sentiment.  It is truly fucked how fucked so many Americans are.  To support him is hard to fathom.  I don’t think i can be friends with a Trump supporter.  It is that bad.  But Trump is NOT America.  He is however a frighteningly large minority.  America has not been this divided since civil war.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.