What is the meaning of Life?

Homepage Forums Small Talk What is the meaning of Life?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bellen
    Participant

That moment when your child asks you, “Mom, what’s the purpose of life if we’re all just going to DIE!”…………………………

jakelafort
    Participant

That is the moment when he is no longer a child!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

It’s what happens before then that has meaning and purpose.  What if someone dies very young?  Does their life have no meaning?

Meaning comes from having goals (sub-goals of ultimate goals) that things are then relevant to.

Strega

Ask him what the point of a vacation is if you’re just going to go home afterwards 🙂

jakelafort
    Participant

No point in cleaning up when my place is just gonna get dirty again.

Hi Belle! It think it is an indication of his first steps away from childhood. He has given it some thought and I suppose philosophers have pondered the same question for centuries. As Simon mentioned you need to differentiate between “purpose” and “meaning”. The purpose of life is to live it until it is over. Life can have any meaning you want it to have. It is up to each individual to decide what that is.

The purpose of life is certainly not to grovel before an imaginary god.

Bellen
    Participant

He’s also started crying almost every day about death. He’s coming to the realization that things die. It’s a pain I can’t take away from him. All I can do is hold him and say how much I love him and that yes, things die…but life is still beautiful. It’s really hard to watch him go through this knowing it’s his own journey…I’m not giving him all the answers, but just helping him find them for himself.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

It’s a stage we all go through.  The tragedy of life can be unbearable the first time we encounter it.  Over time, we learn to cope with it.  I think it took me years, it isn’t easy.

PopeBeanie

For example, many moms must believe that providing for their child and trying to make them happy and successful is their purpose in life. If he had a pet he loved, taking good care of it could be a purpose.

Mother-nature wise, the purpose of life is to survive and create offspring. (I’m sure that’s not a fun or useful explanation for most kids.) Faced with that question from either of my kids (which I don’t don’t think I was), I think I’d tell them 1) it’s really up to you, and it depends mostly on what makes you happy, and 2) we’re lucky we have choices, because when we were designed by mother nature, our purpose in life was to just survive from day to day, rely on and help each other, and enjoy each other through thick and thin.

Now if they were otherwise consistently upset or unable to cope with such an abstract subject, I’d have to think more deeply not so much about how to give them an exact or truest answer to their question, but about what other issues they might have about themselves that are coming to the surface. Any kind of positive interaction should help, even if you don’t have a solid handle on what’s going on.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Maybe he’s depressed.  The first time I got depressed, I spent the whole time asking, “what’s the point?”, presumably because my then-goals didn’t seem worthwhile (or rather, I didn’t have any).  What’s more, I felt it was impossible to get any or have any.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Mother-nature wise, the purpose of life is to survive and create offspring.

– this carries the implication that it’s also to thrive, and to do this, we need to put the right conditions in place, do the right things, have the right attitudes etc.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think it’s a healthy reality check for anybody.

My takeaway messages are: 1) make the most of life while we have it; 2) be grateful that we have it at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.