Where is the proto-cow?

Homepage Forums Science Where is the proto-cow?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

Humans knew the cow’s ancestors very well. BTW, geographical separation and climate variation are often neglected factors in speciation. Take two groups of the same species. Put one group in Africa and place the other group in Australia and wait 10 million years or so with typical climatic variations. Life will find a way, if you get my continental drift.

Come on, that’s just a picture of some kind of cow. Cave paintings are too recent to show anything like a pre-cow.

These paintings pre-date domesticated cattle. Buy then again everybody is a goddamn expert nowadays, LOL.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The cave paintings are from 20,000 years ago, domestication happened maybe 10,000 years ago.

Unseen
    Participant

The cave paintings are from 20,000 years ago, domestication happened maybe 10,000 years ago.

I’m not going to fact check that, but simply observe that dogs (in the form of wolves) existed before we domesticated them and I’m pretty sure the same is true of cows. Of course, they didn’t look like Holsteins, Brahmans, Anguses, Texas Longhorns, etc., but like dogs and wolves, they were able to interbreed with their wild predecessors and thus, in that sense, were the same species, just as dogs and wolves are recognized as the same species. And, BTW, there are proto-dogs, just not proto-cows.

My point about the wall paintings is that the bovine on the wall may have been a pre-cow in the sense of being pre-domesticated but that that is not the same as a proto-cow.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.