Who are we to believe?

Homepage Forums Politics Who are we to believe?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

As the ex co-host of Fox & Friends, Clayton Morris’s opinion on Russia is worthless. Let’s face it, Trump cuddled up to Putin as dictators often do…and Fox news and MAGA world is pro-Russia (after decades of calling it the evil empire).  Zero integrity. After all, Putin doesn’t put up with all that “gay/trans” crap and is all about family values and Christianity, right?

Republicans will vote for literally anyone (and I mean anyone) who is against liberal values and democracy right now.

Yea, those portable anti-tank missiles….wow. You have to deploy tanks wisely. The US military would have used air power with infrared targeting to eliminate those missile teams and only then do you deploy the tanks.  The Russian Air Force is virtually non-existent. The US would have conducted a six-month long air campaign and navy bombardment instead of lining up all their tanks on a highway. This is how inept Russians are.  There is a reason you don’t see giant US military parades so dear leader can bask in the glory. But the moron Trump is impressed by that shite. Bring in the horses and guys with swords, camels, bands, and self-propelled rocket launches.

https://youtu.be/s3QwUVrzkKU

Unseen
    Participant

I don’t see how Russia’s Commonwealth of Independent States could be more diverse than the U.S., since the U.S. has Citizens and both legal and illegal aliens from most every nation in the world, including Russia and the C.I.S.

The United States has a common language spoken virtually all Americans in every single state, even by immigrants certainly by the second generation. Russia has states and territories where Russian is at best a second language not spoken by everyone. Even in French-speaking counties of Louisiana, you can do everything you need to do speaking English only. Not true, necessarily, for a Russian speaker in outlying areas.  America has no such problem. Here is a language map of Russia.

There is active religious conflict in Russia, the most extreme being instigated by militant Islamists. Russia has a far worse militant Muslim problem than the United States, where the problem is aptly described as negligible to the point of being almost nonexistent. American Muslims on the whole simply want to blend in and participate in American prosperity.

There will be a big religious conflict if Russia succeeds in taking Ukraine, because Ukraine has a breakaway Orthodox church, and one of Putin’s stated goals in attempting to take Ukraine is to get Ukraine’s Christians back under the Russian Orthodox umbrella. To you and me, as atheists, it’s hard to imagine this is a big deal, but if you research it a bit, you’ll see that it is.

Anyway, Russian diversity can’t be described as similar to American diversity.

Davis

Russia alone (that is without the former 14 other republics) have cultures which range from Turkic, Asian, relatives of Inuit/Eskimos, Finnic, Slavic, from the Caucuses and a LOT more. Linguistically, they natively have languages from over seven completely different language families which vary from Tartar, Mongolic, Sino (Chinese related), multiple Slavic, Iranic and even Germanic languages along with many Isolates (not remotely related to any other language). They include long standing Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Bhuddist and Animist communities. The food in Chechnia could not be more different to that in Moscow to that in North Siberia. European Russia is more diverse than the rest of Europe. And Europe is obviously a shit ton more diverse than the USA. America is utterly homogonous and one size fits all compared with Russia.

_Robert_
    Participant

I don’t consider geographically isolated ethnic groups as “diverse” when contrasted with different peoples who actually live their lives in close proximity.  It just says more about the size of the country than anything. Even the big Russian cities like Moscow are 90% East Slavs. The word ‘slave’ has an interesting origin.

Yes, the Russians and Putin have had issues with abusing their Islamic cultures. Yet Iran still thinks it is a good idea to supply suicide drones for them. It reminds me of Hitler’s last ditch V2 terrorism of English civilians.

_Robert_
    Participant

I know this doesn’t count because engineering is unique, but the weather RADAR design team I managed had an Australian, 3 Indians, an African American, a Cuban, a Brit, 2 Asians and 2 lily Whites. My company sent my team to a diversity seminar and the instructor whispered in my ear, “why?”, LOL.

Unseen
    Participant

I don’t consider geographically isolated ethnic groups as “diverse” when contrasted with different peoples who actually live their lives in close proximity. It just says more about the size of the country than anything. Even the big Russian cities like Moscow are 90% East Slavs. The word ‘slave’ has an interesting origin.

Yes, the Russians and Putin have had issues with abusing their Islamic cultures. Yet Iran still thinks it is a good idea to supply suicide drones for them. It reminds me of Hitler’s last ditch V2 terrorism of English civilians.

Oh, I think diversity has different meanings, which is what I was getting at. If the United States is a melting pot or even a mixed salad, Russia is more like a smorgasbord. These separate cultures scattered around Russia do not always get along very well.

PopeBeanie

Ehhh…the BBC may only seem left leaning by American standards. It is famously “neutral” […]

Correction appreciated, and good to know. I just just apologized to my leftiness for ignoring it.

_Robert_
    Participant

Throughout all of this madness, I still contend there is a place for traditional conservatism alongside liberal thinkers. For example, traditional conservatives are for strong defense. I agree with that in general, however 11 aircraft carriers may not be the best bang for the buck. Illegal immigration is good for nobody, but I would like for us to have more legal immigration to offset our lower workforce participation.

I knew identity politics was gonna drive the right crazy, but I underestimated the blowback from having a black man in the Whitehouse. Down here there are ghosts of the Civil war still hanging around.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

It’s kind of a mixed bag with both the U.S. and Russia.

Yes, English is the predominant language in the U.S., yet I’ve also encountered stores in the Atlanta suburbs that had signs in English, Spanish and Portuguese. These also exist in Charleston, SC and in Boston, MA and other port cities. Neighborhoods in Chicago and New York have store signs and ethnic newspapers in Italian, Hebrew, Yiddish, German, and Polish. I use some Spanish and French in my daily work and have encountered Creole and Gullah speakers. Some Counties in California have ballots in dozens of languages, including Tagalog of all tongues.

Our culture probably is more blending than Russia and C.I.S., due to fusion restaurants, availabity of media from all over the world, musical genres crossing over, festivals open to the public like The Yiasou Greek Festival in Charlotte, NC, and greater individual freedom of expression and association. Private individuals with no government contracts can be either as separate or together as they please as long as everything is consensual.

From what I’ve read, Muslim groups in Russia are supportive of Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and Putin has also supported anti-blasphemy sentiments and laws in defense of Mohammed and Islam and has had friendly dealings with both Iraq and Iran. Putin sees strategic advantage in dealing with Muslim fellow dictators and the Muslims probably see the War in Ukraine as Kuffirs doing the bloody work of Jihad on Muslim’s behalf.

John Prine put it best: “It’s A Big Ol’ Goofy World.”

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Misspelled Californy

Unseen
    Participant

Yes, English is the predominant language in the U.S., yet I’ve also encountered stores in the Atlanta suburbs that had signs in English, Spanish and Portuguese. These also exist in Charleston, SC and in Boston, MA and other port cities. Neighborhoods in Chicago and New York have store signs and ethnic newspapers in Italian, Hebrew, Yiddish, German, and Polish. I use some Spanish and French in my daily work and have encountered Creole and Gullah speakers. Some Counties in California have ballots in dozens of languages, including Tagalog of all tongues.

I’m not sure what point you’re reaching for. As I said, immigrants learn English (enough to get by) certainly by the second generation. Those signs are likely for people who speak English as a second language but understand more in the tongue of the culture they came from.

But the main thing is  that American cultural groups appreciate each other better and get along by and large. One huge gulf is between Protestants and Catholics, but there is little or no violence going on between these groups in the U.S. There is occasional terrorism against Muslims, which is more political in nature than culture- or religion-based. Our most serious conflicts are probably race-based, but even so, most American blacks and whites get along with each other. There great mass of whites are not anti-black and the reverse is true as well.

Davis

A country with an overarching culture and absolutely minimal smaller highly distinct areas is not particularly diverse. Yes, there is diversity in neighbourhoods but after a few generations they homogenise within the culture. This doesn’t happen in Chechnia, Dagestan, Tartarstan, Merv, North Ossetia etc. And in any case, large Russian cities are full of emigres from minority areas and former republics of the USSR and also have their own neighbourhoods within the city. Moscow as well, is an extremely diverse city. Trust me, Russia is more diverse than America is in every conceivable way except perhaps the number of different ethnic restaurants you can find in one square kilometre.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.